The first Dragon Ball related DVD you owned?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:50 am

But how about watching DAN DAN for the first time and seeing Kid Goku burst out of that lake in his birthday suit. I'd never seen animated nudity before, and it was something. However, I still remember how poorly it was drawn. His dragonballs were nothing but a small circle with a "u" in the middle.
Exactly how I was with Volume 4 of the manga (the first one I ever read of the series). :P

Goku just dumping his dacks in front of a huge crowd!

And I think I can declare this my most successful thread yet. :)
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

SSj Gogito
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSj Gogito » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:21 am

The first dragonball vhs i owned way back in the day was 2.1 Captain Ginyu - Assault.

I remember getting it for my birthday.
Where's The Beef

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:04 pm

For VHS, it was Fusion - Hope Returns
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:40 pm

FUNi's Movie 4 "Lord Slug" DVD back in 2002.

Yeah... at the time, I was just excited to see the movie. (Since at the time it was the only one I didn't see.)
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

evilp666

Post by evilp666 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:48 pm

My first was the Trunks speacial, sadly though I left it out of its case.. :(
If I wanted to listen to an asshole,I'd fart

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:48 pm

Back in the day when I first started watching AMV's I saw one about Broly with the theme music of Mortal Kombat. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Of course back then I had only watched the dub on Cartoon Network. So i had no idea who Broly was until that amv. I didn't even know there were movies besides the first 3 DBZ movies. So very soon after that me and my mother went to ToysRus. I forget why. I think it was to buy a birthday present for sombody. Anyway, while I was there I saw movie 7 (Super Android 13!) and i thought to myelf, "Is that Broly?! It kind of looks like a blue Broly! Mom, can I have it?!"

And of course since I got it from ToysRus, it was edited. And as of now I own every Funi single uncut except for Movie 7. So i have still not seen Goku get punched in the balls.
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

Super 17
Regular

Post by Super 17 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:59 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:The first DragonBall Z DVD I bought was also my first DVD I ever owned. It was back in 1998 and I didn't have a DVD player to play it. It was the Tree Of Might.
Those three sentences is the same for me except change the "DVD" to "VHR". Tree Of Might was my first VHR I owned of anything related DB/Z/GT and it was also in 1998 what a coincidence. My first DVD has got to be a Mexican bootleg DVD which had "La saga de los saiyajines" dubbed in Spanish and it had the original Japanese version. Now my first DVD non bootleg was the second DVD of the Kid Buu saga.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:43 pm

Drabaz wrote:Back in the day when I first started watching AMV's I saw one about Broly with the theme music of Mortal Kombat. I thought it was the coolest thing ever.
I think I know exactly what you're talking about. It wouldn't happen to bethis one would it?

I swear that out of all the DBZ AMV's that has ever been made, this is one of the classics. I remember when I was around 10-11 years old, and my father torrented this online(He used to always torrent DBZ vids) and I watched it at least 3 times every day. Of course, back then I had no idea who Brolli was, such as yourself, but that video just looked completely epic. I got goosebumps whenever I watched it. Then, the day finally arrived. Movie 8 was released in America! I was so excited, I picked that bad boy up as soon as I could. Fortunately, I didn't confuse Brolli with Super 13....but I still have yet to see that movie. :wink:
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:48 pm

@Big Momma: Your dad's a DBZ fan? Or did he do that stuff for you?

As for me, I think my first DB DVD was probably Path to Power. Still my favorite of the movies.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:58 pm

bkev wrote:@Big Momma: Your dad's a DBZ fan? Or did he do that stuff for you?

As for me, I think my first DB DVD was probably Path to Power. Still my favorite of the movies.
Yeah, he's a fan. He's definitely not that big of a fan, but he knows the names/transformations and most attacks. He would actually watch it with me and my brother every day after school. When he was younger, he was all into comic books and drawing and whatnot. So, he would always torrent clips from DBZ back in the early 00's to watch. Sometimes he wouldn't even let me watch them, due to language in the subs.(Oh, AnimeLABS, you! ;) ) However, I still managed to sneak a few views in here and there. :p

My first Dragon Ball media purchase was the FUNi three pack. I've never really seen much of Dragonball myself, but I love those three movies. The music in "Path to Power" is amazing, right up there with GT. (Which makes sense since they were made around the same time...and DAN DAN is the ending theme.)
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:33 pm

As far as VHS goes, I got the first Trunks episodes, randomly, at like Wal-Mart (back before Wal-Mart heavily carried Dragon Ball like it does now).

My first DVD was of "The Return of Cooler," despite being content with VHS at the time (I think I even bought "Cooler's Revenge" on tape at the same time), but my dad had me buy the DVD, because it contained approximately one more minute of footage than the edited dub tape.

I suppose it was worth it. Movie 6 was my first exposure to the Japanese version, and is probably my favorite movie of the series.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:44 pm

Big Momma wrote:I remember when I was around 10-11 years old, and my father torrented this online(He used to always torrent DBZ vids)
You're not nearly as old I thought, are you? I always figured you're in your 30s somewhere.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:06 pm

Dr. Casey wrote:
Big Momma wrote:I remember when I was around 10-11 years old, and my father torrented this online(He used to always torrent DBZ vids)
You're not nearly as old I thought, are you? I always figured you're in your 30s somewhere.
I'll take that as a compliment to my maturity. ;)

Nah, man. I turned 18 last September. :D

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:23 am

Big Momma wrote:
Drabaz wrote:Back in the day when I first started watching AMV's I saw one about Broly with the theme music of Mortal Kombat. I thought it was the coolest thing ever.
I think I know exactly what you're talking about. It wouldn't happen to bethis one would it?
Yea, it's that exact one. I actually just remembered that I tried to remake that video frame by frame when the second Broly movie came out. It's the first one under the related videos section. I don't like the end result that much because some of the scenes arn't matched correctly. I did my best when I had only Windows movie maker to work with though.

Big Momma wrote:Fortunately, I didn't confuse Brolli with Super 13....but I still have yet to see that movie. :wink:
It wasn't confusion as much as it was wishfull thinking lol.
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:16 pm

First was either Movie 5 or Movie 6 I believe

kusakun004
Beyond Newbie

Post by kusakun004 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:38 pm

Pioneer Tree of Might DVD. Awesome DVD except for the no alternate angle business that other anime companies do. The dub was good though.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:20 pm

Drabaz wrote:
Big Momma wrote:
Yea, it's that exact one. I actually just remembered that I tried to remake that video frame by frame when the second Broly movie came out. It's the first one under the related videos section. I don't like the end result that much because some of the scenes arn't matched correctly. I did my best when I had only Windows movie maker to work with though.

That's still pretty good. I've been wanting to do the same thing for a long time. I just now found out how to work my freakin DVD Decrypter, so I'll be doing that, too. (If you wouldn't happen to have a link to the original version in a downloadable form, that would definitely be appreciated, too. ;) )

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:56 am

Big Momma wrote:(If you wouldn't happen to have a link to the original version in a downloadable form, that would definitely be appreciated, too. ;) )
No, sorry I don't. I forgot how I found it last. I can assume it would be really hard to look for since there's probably a million amvs using Broly and Mortal Kombat now a days.
My Dragon Ball AMV's:

saiyanprincess
Regular

Post by saiyanprincess » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:50 am

="The Time Traveller"]I got these pieces of shit for Christmas 2003

ImageImageImage

Me and you both! These DVD's should be banned - They are just... So BAD!
I had all of Z recorded off the television onto my grand old black dusty videos, and unfortunatly I got caught up in the excitement of the best series ever coming out onto DVD. - I purchased them, And then actually cried.

There should be a law out stopping this kind of torture, These things are so toxic they could be played to inmates of Guantanmo Bay!

Happily now I have all but the last movie and the new special, You'll be surprised how hard it is to get hold of Movie 12 R2. :(

Back to those DVD's.... Just dig a hole and give them a burial.
[b]"Ok, use your instincts Kakarott. Right or Left? (Hmmm... I'd have to say... left.) Good. Then I'm going right!" (Vegeta to Goku as they try to find their way to free the others inside Buu - Episode: The Innards of Buu)[/b]

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:52 pm

Drabaz wrote:
Big Momma wrote:(If you wouldn't happen to have a link to the original version in a downloadable form, that would definitely be appreciated, too. ;) )
No, sorry I don't. I forgot how I found it last. I can assume it would be really hard to look for since there's probably a million amvs using Broly and Mortal Kombat now a days.
That's fine. And they are pretty hard to find. They're about as numerous as Trunks Linkin Park AMV's.