Dragon Ball: Evolution- Speculation and Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:13 am

LOL guys... relax. They could simply not have transformed yet. There needs to be an eclipse and they need to be adults.

Also Goku transformed and turned back, so there IS a way to turn back but Goku was the first.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:14 am

Namekians with Saiyan sidekicks...
... I... don't see ... uh... se..q..u...e....l... What the flying ....

*sigh*.
Genetically engineered super-spiders my face...
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:14 am

I'm at a loss as to how people can remain positive after reading that synopsis.

I didn't want a scene by scene adaption of the anime, and I have no problem with different takes on established properties, except when they bring nothing new to the table and have absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever, honestly that synopsis read like a Smallville episode.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:24 am

Captain Awesome wrote:I'm at a loss as to how people can remain positive after reading that synopsis.
I'm at a loss as to why people take it all so seriously. Did anyone really expect the movie to be any good? It doesn't stop me being interested and wanting to see it.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:02 am

JAPPO wrote:LOL guys... relax. They could simply not have transformed yet. There needs to be an eclipse and they need to be adults.

Also Goku transformed and turned back, so there IS a way to turn back but Goku was the first.

There's a weird metaphor for puberty hidden somewhere in there. '_';;;

My word could you imagine what types of health videos saiyajin school boards would put out for the students to watch in class? You know the "Your Body is going through Changes" type.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:33 am

Chuquita wrote:
JAPPO wrote:LOL guys... relax. They could simply not have transformed yet. There needs to be an eclipse and they need to be adults.

There's a weird metaphor for puberty hidden somewhere in there. '_';;;

My word could you imagine what types of health videos saiyajin school boards would put out for the students to watch in class? You know the "Your Body is going through Changes" type.
BEST ANALOGY EVER

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:12 am

Are there any confirmations says that the Ozaru and/or Goku still have their tails?
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:55 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:Are there any confirmations says that the Ozaru and/or Goku still have their tails?
It's pretty much set that nobody in this movie is going to have a tail.
Bussani wrote:I'm at a loss as to why people take it all so seriously. Did anyone really expect the movie to be any good? It doesn't stop me being interested and wanting to see it.
I'm at a loss as to why people are STILL acting so surprised. "Oh they're changing stuff from the source material!" um yeah, how long have we known about this movie? It comes out in APRIL! At this point there ain't much else that can be said. It's getting kinda old for people to be all shocked and appalled ever time stuff in leaked about this movie. It can't be that bad if people still make the effort to check up on it all the time.
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

Sedorna
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sedorna » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:46 am

I've been thinking a bit about the evil Namekians and the permanent Oozaru thing, and here are some things. Keep in mind that I am in *no* way involved with the movie itself and this is all pure speculation.

First off, if the Namekians are evil, can there be the good, peace-loving Namekians in the sequel? Yes. Imagine this. In the original series, all the Namekians we see descend from one Namekian, the lone survivor after some sort of natural disaster happened. What if that same disaster happened, except that surviving Namekian just happened to be one who, for some reason, was not born as violent and bloodthirsty as the rest, even a bit peace-loving? If all the others are now born from that one (except for Piccolo, of course) then they could now be the peaceful Namekians we know and love.

Also, Piccolo is shocked that Goku is the only one who has ever transformed back into his "human" shape. But what if Piccolo's wrong about that? What if Piccolo was so completely focused on Goku that he didn't notice that Vegeta also had the power to de-transform at will. After all, in the original series, everybody was shocked that Vegeta wasn't a rampaging, mindless monster in Oozaru form. Maybe in the sequel everybody'll be shocked that Vegeta can become Oozaru and non-Oozaru at will.

But, like I said, I'm not involved in the movie in any way.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:31 pm

Well, if we go by early reports and what James Marsters himself said, Piccolo didn't start evil, but became evil (for whatever reason) was trapped, escaped and now wants revenge. So maybe Roshi and the others just assume that all Namekians are evil. Also, yeah, this whole oozaru thing is shaping up very oddly. I really hope in the movie the transformation isn't "permanent". Maybe instead it is only permanent until you gain control over it?

As for the whole Vegeta thing. I think it's fairly obvious that they will be ditching Raditz, considering Piccolo appears to have revealed everything. So when it comes to Vegeta, maybe You can only Transform into Oozaru during an eclipse. So during Goku and Vegeta's battle Vegeta will do something to create a false eclipse, and he will transform, but since Goku had permanently suppressed his Oozaru form he wont.

That would work fine, but hey, I am not the writer.

Ducard
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ducard » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:33 pm

Permanent Oozaru is odd but I don't think it will continue into the other films. It's already been confirmed that if a sequel comes along, Goku will die at the beginning; so it's a safe bet that they plan on adapting the Saiyan saga. And I really doubt that they're going to have all the Saiyans in the film be in Oozaru form all the time. Overkill there.

Still, I don't particularly like a Namekian controlling an Oozaru. Maybe it will work in the film, who knows, but it seems off.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:06 pm

So...no word on what happened to the first Oozaru Piccolo used?

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:36 pm

I believe that the Saiyan from 2,000 years ago may have been one Piccolo Daimao captured or worked for him. I also believe that the reason why Movie Kakarrot can transform back is that he may be a hybrid or Bulma, Roshi or one of the others will have something to reverse the transformation like on Naruto when the Kyūbi takes over Naruto, Jiraiya, Kakashi or Yamato possesses talismans or techniques to suppress it. On another issue the idea of evil Namekians is not too far fetched just imagine if Slug had played a role on his planet similar to the one Saichoro did on the original Namek. In the sequel they could easily have Vegeta and Nappa become Saiyans that have progressed or evolved beyond their primitive state (from 2,000 years ago) without Piccolo Daimao’s influence and they have learned how to revert back to their humanoid forms.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Post by masenko » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:46 pm

Maybe they based Namek in the movie off of the "filler Namek" from the show :)

And if I'm not mistaken, when Namek was first mentioned in the manga, there was no description given. It could just be assumed that Namek is full of bad guys because a bad guy came from there. Maybe the sequel will turn that theory on it's head by having a peaceful planet.
"I GOTTA GAMBLE EVERYTHING I GOT ON THIS ONE FIST!!!!" - Son Goku, Tale 160

Ducard
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ducard » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:19 pm

In the sequel they could easily have Vegeta and Nappa become Saiyans that have progressed or evolved beyond their primitive state (from 2,000 years ago) without Piccolo Daimao’s influence and they have learned how to revert back to their humanoid forms.
Yeah, I could see something like that happening. Also fits in with 'evolution'.
I also believe that the reason why Movie Kakarrot can transform back is that he may be a hybrid or Bulma, Roshi or one of the others will have something to reverse the transformation like on Naruto when the Kyūbi takes over Naruto, Jiraiya, Kakashi or Yamato possesses talismans or techniques to suppress it.
Apparently Goku has a vision of Gohan before changing back. Which admittedly sounds pretty nice.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:46 pm

Ducard wrote:...
I also believe that the reason why Movie Kakarrot can transform back is that he may be a hybrid or Bulma, Roshi or one of the others will have something to reverse the transformation like on Naruto when the Kyūbi takes over Naruto, Jiraiya, Kakashi or Yamato possesses talismans or techniques to suppress it.
Apparently Goku has a vision of Gohan before changing back. Which admittedly sounds pretty nice.
That sounds reminiscent of Pan and Kakarrot in Dragonball GT when he becomes a Super Saiyan 4. I know he is not going Super Saiyan in the movie but it takes a loved one to help him regain control.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:35 pm

Found this.

Oozaru the Destroyer approaches. The demon grabs the old man by the neck. Master Roshi battles consciousness. He locks eyes with Oozaru, reaching up with his hand to touch the demon's arm.

CLOSE - ROSHI'S HAND

A tiny blue spark ignites as his hand connects with Oozaru.

OOZARU

Flinches. His blood red eyes begin to clear.

ROSHI
Goku, the Dragon Balls showed the truth. They showed the battle within yourself. Oozau can't be defeated with fists, only with faith. Don't let it destroy you.

CAMERA PUSHES IN on his now clear eyes as Roshi exhales his last breath. Oozaru SCREAMS! And in that outcry, a piece of Goku is REVEALED. As if in pain, Oozaru strikes the earth, pounding himself against the rocky walls. Goku is fighting to get out. CAMERA TIGHTENS, and with each impact, a little more of Goku returns. Finally, CAMERA is in EXTREME CLOSE UP on his face. A painful SLAM against the ground, Oozaru becomes Goku again.

The young man looks across to Piccolo who rises from the ground. The demon faces Goku.

LORD PICCOLO
Impossible. No Saiyan has ever reverted to human form.

GOKU
Something I learned from my Grandfather. There are no rules.

With a SCREAM of anger, Piccolo moves for Goku. Bulma slides into the open, tossing the bow staff to her friend.

BULMA
Goku!

Goku snatches the pole from the air. He whips the staff, ready for Lord Piccolo.

Piccolo moves for Goku, who wields the Bow Staff with amazing speed Power Pole blazing, Goku attacks. The staff strikes Piccolo high and low, whipping ACROSS FRAME. Piccolo blocks the moves easily, treating the Staff like a minor annoyance.

Goku thrusts the Bow Staff forward.

GOKU
Nyoibo extend!

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:41 pm

Well, if we go with their "There are no rules" motto, I guess there's a fair chance for a humanoid Vegeta. XD
But then again, I shouldn't be too optimistic when it comes to this movie... I usually get disappointed.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:53 pm

Bura wrote:Well, if we go with their "There are no rules" motto, I guess there's a fair chance for a humanoid Vegeta. XD
Oozaru are humanoid. :P

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:59 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Bura wrote:Well, if we go with their "There are no rules" motto, I guess there's a fair chance for a humanoid Vegeta. XD
Oozaru are humanoid. :P
They're just hairy humanoids. :D