Dragon Ball: Evolution- Speculation and Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:48 pm

Tsukento wrote:
SSJ Helldog wrote:Agreed. It's good cosplay (of Goten maybe), but that hair would be laughable outside of a web forum or convention.
You people do realize you're talking about a movie that has a BIG GREEN ALIEN IN ARMOR with an Asian woman that can CHANGE HER APPEARANCE as well as a protagonist that can TURN INTO A GIANT MONKEY.

Since when was Dragon Ball supposed to be taken as a serious series that was meant to be realistic?

This isn't an American comic book flick we're talking about. We're talking about a Japanese one, where generally everyone has some form of hairstyle you normally can't pull off in real life.
You do make a compelling argument. We have aliens, apes, and impossible tech, but Bulma still can't get blue hair. But honestly it's the first time I've even thought about Goku's hair in DBE. It seemed natural to me (with the exception of that "trying to gel it down" scene). Thinking back on it, that sort of explains the choice not to make it huge: it would have made Goku look like the sort of guy who craves attention.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:48 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:I think the style Chatwin's hair ended up in was a nice balance.
I just wish the spikes were more well defined. They seemed too soft.
Even I'll admit any anime hairstyle looks fucking stupid in a live action movie.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:23 pm

Justin Chatwin discussing meanings of the names in an video interview;

"Kakarot means... turtle, I think?"

Gotta love how this guy did his homework. [as in, not.]

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:24 pm

On another note:

Dragon Ball Evolution received a 16% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.com. It's made $4.7 million on opening weekend. Hannah Montana has a score of 46% and received $34 million.

Make of this what you will.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:33 pm

MCDaveG wrote:I don't see some simillarity to breasts in Chi-Chi
It's Mexican slang, apparently.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:35 pm

Which is also why her name became "Milk" in the Mexican dub. :lol:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:38 pm

Chi-chi is a non-offensive way of saying urine in portuguese :lol:. That`s why its called kika in the dub. Don`t know why they chosed kika however.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:53 pm

Tsukento wrote:Which is also why her name became "Milk" in the Mexican dub. :lol:
THAT explains my awkward experience translating that hentai comic. :lol:
Last edited by NeptuneKai on Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:00 pm

Tsukento wrote:On another note:

Dragon Ball Evolution received a 16% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.com. It's made $4.7 million on opening weekend. Hannah Montana has a score of 46% and received $34 million.

Make of this what you will.
Whereas the JCVD Street Fighter movie in 1994 made $6.8 million it's first weekend (not accounting for inflation) and has a 15% freshness rating on Rotten Tomatoes ;p

-Corey

RandomDbzEnthusiast

Post by RandomDbzEnthusiast » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:00 pm

rereboy wrote:Chi-chi is a non-offensive way of saying urine in portuguese :lol:. That`s why its called kika in the dub. Don`t know why they chosed kika however.
You`re right.And that`s why i`m afraid of our translation of the movie.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:22 pm

MisterFlashdude wrote:DBE has maintained it's 17% on Rotten Tomatoes.
Make that 16%. :P
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:39 pm

SSJ Helldog wrote:I think it's primarily that "Chi-Chis" are pretty synonymous with breasts, while "Bulma" just sounds like jibberish. Sure, it's "bloomers," but that's practically a dead word. I had no idea what "bloomers" were until I learned about the DB name puns.
Was it a dead word back in 1984? Was it at least slightly more vital? Because you're right, I don't think I've ever heard the word 'bloomers' outside Dragon Ball.

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:44 pm

Dr. Casey wrote:
SSJ Helldog wrote:I think it's primarily that "Chi-Chis" are pretty synonymous with breasts, while "Bulma" just sounds like jibberish. Sure, it's "bloomers," but that's practically a dead word. I had no idea what "bloomers" were until I learned about the DB name puns.
Was it a dead word back in 1984? Was it at least slightly more vital? Because you're right, I don't think I've ever heard the word 'bloomers' outside Dragon Ball.
Well in our conversation we were talking about why current American audiences think "Chichi" is funny but don't bat an eye at "Bulma." I imagine in 1984, in Japan, it was a more widely known word, since characters poke fun at Bulma's name early on.

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:54 pm

Tsukento wrote:Dragon Ball Evolution received a 16% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.com. It's made $4.7 million on opening weekend. Hannah Montana has a score of 46% and received $34 million.
There was an article on Variety saying that the movie is performing exactly how FOX expected it too.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111800 ... id=13&cs=1
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:55 pm

SeiferA wrote:http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QCLCM1K2

The Z Warriors' own reaction to the movie (more accuratly, to a particular clip posted here earlier)

I would have it on youtube, but they immediatly killed the video no less than 5 seconds after I uploaded it.

As for my opinion on the movie... I think I'm just going to copy and paste the double dragon gif.
That was fucking amazing. Great job, this will keep me laughing for awhile.

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:22 pm

Al Norton: You mentioned other movies in this series, obviously in a project like this there is hope of doing more but are you already set for them?
James Marsters: I was told the day before yesterday that we're green lit for the second film and it's ok to tell the press.
© 411mania

Oh boy...

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:46 pm

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=69816923339

Video that proves they shot more scenes of the final fight.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:52 pm

Bura wrote:
Al Norton: You mentioned other movies in this series, obviously in a project like this there is hope of doing more but are you already set for them?
James Marsters: I was told the day before yesterday that we're green lit for the second film and it's ok to tell the press.
© 411mania
Oh boy...
Possibly direct to DVD?

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:03 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:
Bura wrote:
© 411mania
Oh boy...
Possibly direct to DVD?
And then directly to the bargain bin.

Fat Piccolo! Fat Piccolo!

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:06 pm

I went to the theater with a couple buddies last night to check this DBE thing out, and I think it was possibly the greatest film of all time. Oh my god... just brilliant.