Naruto or Bleach, which resembles Dragon Ball more?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Naruto or Bleach, which resembles Dragon Ball more?

Post by Shiyonasan » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:33 am

By Dragon Ball, I mean the entire anime metaseries, as well as the manga.

So we know One Piece is heavily influenced by Dragon Ball. Heck, it has most of the voice actors from Dragon Ball in the anime. Plus, it's had a few crossovers with Dragon Ball, whether it be Cross Epoch, that special from that festival which I can't remember the name of, Battle Stadium D.O.N., and Jump Superstars and Ultimate Stars. Plus, Akira Toriyama is Eiichiro Oda's role model, so that plays a huge role, no pun intended.

But, Naruto and Bleach are also influenced by Dragon Ball. Masashi Kishimoto has stated that Naruto's character design is based off of Goku (I'm presuming the Super Saiyan form in particular). Also, if I'm not mistaken, Bleach was originally denied by Shonen Jump, but due to an encouraging letter by Akira Toriyama written to Tite Kubo, the series was later accepted. Now, both are very popular in the anime world today.

Now, Dragon Ball is my all-time favorite manga and anime series and always will be. On these forums, as well as by many other manga and anime critics, Bleach and Naruto are not well liked, do to too much filler, the series becoming too "dull", the fanbases, or the overwhelming popularity. However, I don't mind either series. Neither are in my top 5 favorite manga/anime series, but I still like both. Both series have their faults, but their actually not bad in my opinion, at least when their not in filler.

So for this topic, I ask you, which do you think resembles Dragon Ball more? The action, drama, humor, suspense, etc. All these things are what I'm talking about. I have my answer, but I don't want his post to be any longer, so I want to see what you guys say first. :lol:

Wow, this is one heck of a 50th post! :shock:

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:40 am

Because Toriyama saw potential in Bleach doesn't necissarily mean Dragon Ball influenced it. Tite Kubo notes GeGeGe no Kitaro and Saint Seiya as his influences. However, as shown by his contribution to the DRAGON BALL LANDMARK, Kubo does enjoy Dragon Ball.

I don't think either resemble Dragon Ball. Naruto probably more than Bleach, but I don't see it.

Bleach kicks DB's ass in drama, btw.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:54 am

I still vote for One Piece anyways. ^^;;;

I've only read the first arc for Bleach, but from what I recall it had quite a bit of the "training and pulling forth new powers from within you" stuff in it. Ichigo himself is more of a Yusuke-type of character though; the whole thing makes me think of it as Yu Yu Hakusho's little brother the way I think of One Piece as Dragon Ball's little brother.

Naruto stole a lot of aesthetic stuff from DB, but for me its always felt like "What if they sucked all the fun out of Dragon Ball and replaced it with tween angst."
I mean, the rivalry stuff is there, and yeah you got one of them in orange and the other in blue, and you have a bad guy who's really pale and dressed in purple and he's after the rival in blue; but it's just.....missing something for me.
It did expound on the "ninja dog" thing Shu had going on in DB though.
Ninja dogs aren't enough to make me attempt to get into it a 5th time though; I'm finished trying with that depressing show. >_<
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

darkhawk5
Beyond Newbie

Post by darkhawk5 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:03 am

Have you seen Naruto's Sage mode? It's a totall rip-off of Supa Saiyajin 4-with it's yellow eyes,red eye outlines,and a tail xD

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:07 am

darkhawk5 wrote:Have you seen Naruto's Sage mode? It's a totall rip-off of Supa Saiyajin 4-with it's yellow eyes,red eye outlines,and a tail xD

Seriously? :lol:
That's hilarious. And kinda sad because it shows a lack of creativity on the author's part. He should've just stuck with the creepy semi-kyuubi form instead.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

MajinKing
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MajinKing » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:15 am

darkhawk5 wrote:Have you seen Naruto's Sage mode? It's a totall rip-off of Supa Saiyajin 4-with it's yellow eyes,red eye outlines,and a tail xD
Dude he does not have a tail. Goku grows fur when he is in SSJ4, naruto does not grow fur when he is in sage mode. Sage mode is based on toads, SSJ4 is based on the geat ape AKA Oozaru.
Last edited by MajinKing on Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
90% of dragonball fans detest dragonballgt. If you are one of the 10% who like GT, post this in your signature.

Read my DBGT Remake fanfic! http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=9747
Read my DBAF fanfic, it has terrible writing the first few chapters but I improve in later ones, http://anime.myfavoritegames.com/creative-corner/fanworks-library/101320-dragonballaf.html

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:19 am

I will have to go with Naruto for the simple reason that it screams ‘hey look’ I resemble Dragonball the most!’ One Piece is nothing but a retard cabin boy running around with Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer’s little cousin on a boat. The character designs are more un-realistic than Toriyama’s (no insult to Toriyama) and the only appealing character is Zoro/Zolo. It is what a hallucination that a clown trippin on acid would have. People complain about Naruto’s teen angst they should pick up Bleach, that manga is sickening.

Actually, his Sage Mode is pretty cool looking.

The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:20 am

Bleach is a great anime/manga, but other than being inspired by Toriyama and having similar fight scenes, they don't have much in common.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:54 am

Eh, probably Naruto. Bleach shares more in common with YuYu Hakusho.

Naruto just borrows way too many elements or shares a lot of similarities from Dragon Ball.

But really, One Piece more or less feels like a successor to Dragon Ball in spirit and has actually surpassed it in such an incredible way.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

darkhawk5
Beyond Newbie

Post by darkhawk5 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:57 am

MajinKing wrote:
Dude he does not have a tail. Goku grows fur when he is in SSJ4, naruto does not grow fur when he is in sage mode. Sage mode is based on toads, SSJ4 is based on the geat ape AKA Oozaru.
What i was trying to say was it was heavily inspired, and if he activates the Kyubi chakara he would have a tail

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:53 am

Friend of mine has been lurking around and wanted to comment, but she doesn't have an account. So I'll post on her behalf:
Naruto, NARUTO!!
HANDS DOWN!!
It directly Rips Dragonball off, it steals entire comedic bits and whole pieces of dialog, but somehow removes everything that Made DB fun...
Case and Point:
In order to Train Naruto, Jiraiya asked him to bring him something with "Curves", Naruto brought a fruit shaped like a woman. SOUND FAMILLIAR?!
or Try this one, This is the dialog during the Naruto V Nejij Fight:
Neiji: Are you trying to say just anyone can become Hokage if they try hard enough? ridiculous! In this world, there are those who are born with natural talent and those who are nothing. Those who are nothing can't breach that wall no matter what.
Naruto: Well, I believe that a "Nothing" can surpass someone who's "Talented" if he works hard enough, that's my Way of the Ninja!!
Neiji: Fool, have fun Trying!

Hmm, that's some wonderful Dialog from the Goku Vs Vegeta Fi- Eer, I mean, the Naruto Vs. Neiji Fight... yeah... totally not a ripoff, TOTALLY!!
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:04 am

Tsukento wrote:Friend of mine has been lurking around and wanted to comment, but she doesn't have an account. So I'll post on her behalf:
Naruto, NARUTO!!
HANDS DOWN!!
It directly Rips Dragonball off, it steals entire comedic bits and whole pieces of dialog, but somehow removes everything that Made DB fun...
Case and Point:
In order to Train Naruto, Jiraiya asked him to bring him something with "Curves", Naruto brought a fruit shaped like a woman. SOUND FAMILLIAR?!
or Try this one, This is the dialog during the Naruto V Nejij Fight:
Neiji: Are you trying to say just anyone can become Hokage if they try hard enough? ridiculous! In this world, there are those who are born with natural talent and those who are nothing. Those who are nothing can't breach that wall no matter what.
Naruto: Well, I believe that a "Nothing" can surpass someone who's "Talented" if he works hard enough, that's my Way of the Ninja!!
Neiji: Fool, have fun Trying!

Hmm, that's some wonderful Dialog from the Goku Vs Vegeta Fi- Eer, I mean, the Naruto Vs. Neiji Fight... yeah... totally not a ripoff, TOTALLY!!
BELIEVE IT *headshot*
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Re: Naruto or Bleach, which resembles Dragon Ball more?

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:04 am

Shiyonasan wrote:Also, if I'm not mistaken, Bleach was originally denied by Shonen Jump, but due to an encouraging letter by Akira Toriyama written to Tite Kubo, the series was later accepted.
That's just a rumor that's been started on Wikipedia.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:35 am

Ya because we all know that the physiology of a toad is totally similar to an ape. :roll:
Last edited by Jerseymilk on Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:40 am

Saiyan-Professor wrote:One Piece is nothing but a retard cabin boy--
Silly me, I thought his name was Monkey D. Luffy. :P
It is what a hallucination that a clown trippin on acid would have.
And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Naruto is more like Dragon Ball than Bleach is. If anything, Bleach is pretty much Yu Yu Hakusho's spiritual successor.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:03 am

If anything, Bleach is pretty much Yu Yu Hakusho's spiritual successor.
Nappa: "What about BLEACH, Vegeta? It's like us... with swords!!"
Vegeta: "I liked that show better when it was called YuYu Hakusho... and I liked that show better when it was called DRAGON BALL Z!!!"*

*TeamFourStar: AWA Special.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:53 am

darkhawk5 wrote:
MajinKing wrote:
What i was trying to say was it was heavily inspired, and if he activates the Kyubi chakara he would have a tail
Yeah, just like Super Saiyan 4, Kakarrot and Vegeta runs around with multiple translucent tails made of Chakra/Ki because of the beasts that lives in each of their bodies. :roll:
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:21 am

One way Naruto takes after, is through other CN action shows. Remember how, PPG had a few DBZ references? Ben 10 has a few Naruto references, heck a lot of the Naruto cast on it.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:56 am

The Neji VS Naruto comparison is weak because that kind of thing is standard shonen. Plus that fight in Naruto is better anyway. Can't say anything about Jiraiya, though. He is clearly a rip-off of Roshi, but to add something, I find his character a bit more enjoyable. =/

Also, I remember when CN ran their first "Naruto Hundo," a marathon of Naruto from the beginning all the way to the third round of the Chunin Exams, with a new episode (Gaara VS Lee) airing at the end. During advertisements, the Toonami announcer called it "the greatest action cartoon of all time." A title Toonami had given DBZ during a couple of Kid Buu Saga promos just a few years prior.

That made rage so goddamn hard. Fucking sellout.

Btw, Sage Mode looks like Naruto performed a fusion with Gaara. (No spoilers if something like that... actually happens, please.)
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

kusakun004
Beyond Newbie

Post by kusakun004 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:32 pm

Easily, Naruto is much similar to Dragon Ball. Bleach is more inspired from Yu Yu Hakusho, which was inspired by Dragon Ball, and swords were added, which Dragon Ball lacked most of the time. Naruto seems very similar to Dragon Ball at times on the other hand.
GT is underrated and the International Channel will always be my favorite channel for foreign programming. I still miss it.