If you were in charge of releasing DB/Z/GT on DVD....

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

If you were in charge of releasing DB/Z/GT on DVD....

Post by ShinRogafuken » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:40 pm

...what would you do?

I know this is a very vague question, but I think this is good because it will allow a lot of good discussion.

This can include what episodes you would release on what set, format, extra features, how to handle a dub of your own, features, etc.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:50 pm

-Throw in a "how we did this" bonus segment with the VAs and ADR director.
-Translate OPs and EDs in English.
-Keep the script closer to the original.

Shit, the first one is just a preference. FUNi has yet to do either of the last two on one "whole" set. Dragon Ball has pretty good dub scriptwise, but it's OP isn't an accurate translation, GT has liberties taken with the script every couple of episodes, but fantastically dubbed OPs and EDs.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:56 pm

Some extras that aren't commercials would be nice. I'd rather they didn't even have an extras section than pretend they do with things like "animated menus".

And the obvious.... I want Dragonboxes with English subtitles. Original aspect ratio, beautiful packaging, accurate script. Whole bloody series in the same format.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Krakabeast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Krakabeast » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:01 pm

Velasa wrote:And the obvious.... I want Dragonboxes with English subtitles. Original aspect ratio, beautiful packaging, accurate script. Whole bloody series in the same format.
Hell yeah! I'd also add the U.S. broadcast BGM to the Dragon Boxes.

After that, I'm set for life.
Gohan: At least he doesn't have his sword out anymore.
Kuririn: Yeah, and your dad put his finger away too.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:05 pm

The Orange Bricks would be a whole lot nicer if the widescreen was an option.

DBOX quality is of course preferred, but if it's watchable, I don't care.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:10 pm

The only thing I don't like about the DVD/Blu-Ray's is that they don't have any real extras. They should throw in some stuff like cast commentary, show some footage of the VA's recording, and Interviews with the cast.
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

Velasa

Post by Velasa » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:21 pm

B wrote:The Orange Bricks would be a whole lot nicer if the widescreen was an option.

DBOX quality is of course preferred, but if it's watchable, I don't care.
I would have bought them months ago if widescreen was only an option =_= As long as quality is decent the perfection of it isn't nearly as much an issue as things like accuracy are. Hell, I still like normal TV better than the HD one downstairs because 90% of the stuff I watch is older and just gets jpegy on the HD tv.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:23 pm

I'd want the Dragon Boxes to come out as just the Volumes in the boxes, then sell the actual Box with the last volume which would be an optional special volume with the original Dragon Box extras plus loads of new stuff.

So there'd be 5 sets
DB//PSAs/Trailers/Adverts/Interviews/A look at past censorship and Dub alterations

Z/Specials//Trailers/Adverts/Interviews/A look at past censorship and Dub alterations

GT/Specials//Trailers/Adverts/Interviews/A look at past censorship and Dub alterations

The Movies/OVA/40th Jump/Evolution(+Sequels)//Adverts/Interviews/Behind the Scenes

Kai//Behind the Scenes/Trailers/Adverts/

And I'd do a new type of Movies Box, so it has one thin digipack released with one movie in and extras for that movie, in the correct order too.

I'd go nuts and release "Dragon Box THE MANGA" with a special DVD talking to Akira Toriyama, and the editors of Weekly Shonen Jump and the American Shonen Jump, and maybe what's his face who adapted the real English Manga.

"Dragon Box THE MUSIC" which would have an extra DVD too with interviews with all the bands, Shunsuke Kikuchi, and everyone else involved, maybe even Bruce Falconer and "Dragon Box THE GAMES" Whch would just be all the original NES/SNES/GB games in a disc collection for what ever console.

EVERYTHING HAS TO BE COMPLEEEEEEEETE! 8)

saiyanprincess
Regular

Post by saiyanprincess » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:30 pm

I would release all three sets in Region two and create a tour around the UK to support the promotion.
I would also try and get some interviews from Akira Toriyama and have them subtitled for the non-japanese speaking audience. This could be an optional extra on the discs instead of the voice actors. Hopefully encouraging mad fans like ourselves to buy more! *Greedy*

(As everybody in the UK has to import Region 1 copies as we only have three movies officially released! :shock: It's just not fair.)
[b]"Ok, use your instincts Kakarott. Right or Left? (Hmmm... I'd have to say... left.) Good. Then I'm going right!" (Vegeta to Goku as they try to find their way to free the others inside Buu - Episode: The Innards of Buu)[/b]

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:40 pm

What episodes would you guys include on each set?

For starters, I think Season 1 should've ended on Episode 35 and not 39.

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:55 pm

-4:3
-Watchable quality. If I couldn't get Dragon Box quality without pushing the price of the set too much higher, I'd let it slide, quite frankly.
-A sub-only release. This is how I'd release any anime.
-No damn rock riff menu music.

saiyanprincess
Regular

Post by saiyanprincess » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:57 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:-4:3
-Watchable quality. If I couldn't get Dragon Box quality without pushing the price of the set too much higher, I'd let it slide, quite frankly.
Dub is okay, But it would be nice to have them both on the same boxsets. Kind of, You press a language button and it is in japanese, press it again and it's in English.
[b]"Ok, use your instincts Kakarott. Right or Left? (Hmmm... I'd have to say... left.) Good. Then I'm going right!" (Vegeta to Goku as they try to find their way to free the others inside Buu - Episode: The Innards of Buu)[/b]

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:59 pm

saiyanprincess wrote:
Dub is okay, But it would be nice to have them both on the same boxsets. Kind of, You press a language button and it is in japanese, press it again and it's in English.
Which is...exactly how it works now.

saiyanprincess
Regular

Post by saiyanprincess » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:02 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:
saiyanprincess wrote:
Which is...exactly how it works now.
I'm anticipating my sets even more now! The ones I purchased originally were from Ebay.... Say no more. :x

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:04 pm

Well, I'd first get a script as close to the original as possible. Dub openings and endings. Dragon Box Quality. Dragon Box style extras, like a reference book or something. NO American Music, and a Japanese audio option too.
Last edited by jda95 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:14 pm

As simple as the forum topic is, I agree that this could make for some interesting discussion, considering just how many different releases of the series we've already had.

Besides what's already been said (as well as the expected JP subbed version), I'd like the releases to be referred to as "sagas" instead of seasons, since that's how most US fans referred to the divisions among the series (at least that's the impression I got). And just to make sure people non-hardcore fans can get the order of the releases, they should do a similar format to FUNi's DB DVD releases, with the saga name as well as number included.

As for special features, I'd really like for there to be some kind of 15-30 minute feature in each set, covering some aspect of the series in a documentary sort of style. Stuff like interviews with the VA (Japanese and US) about their character's specific role during that part of the series would be pretty interesting. Combine that with Toonami's accompanying commercials for those episodes and I'd be set.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:16 pm

My release would include:
-Video from the Dragon Box
-Japanese audio from the Dragon Box
-Accurately translated script
-Accurate subtitles
-English dub

My English dub would include:
-Dubbed script that following translation as close as possible, but sounds good and remains funny
-Original BGM
-English versions of vocal songs
-DB English OP: Hiroki Takahashi's Makafushigi Adventure! (English ver.)
-For all the other songs, I'd write English lyrics to and get the original artists to sing them. (I'd make SURE they can pronounce it correctly and even teach them how if I have to.)

How I'd release it:
-24 episodes per volume (Four disks, Six episodes per disk)
-DB: Seven volumes
-DBZ: 13 or 14 volumes
-DBGT: 3 volumes
-Dragon Box bonus stuff
-Extra bonus stuff
-Released in all English speaking countries

EDIT: I organized my post a little better and added stuff. ^_^
Last edited by linkdude20002001 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:18 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:My release would be like this:

-Dragon Box footage and audio
-Accurately translated script
-Dubbed script following translation as close as possible
-Original BGM
-English versions of vocal songs
-English OP: Hiroki Takahashi's Makafushigi Adventure! (English ver.)
-For all the other songs, I'd write English lyrics to and get the original artists to sing them. (I'd make SURE they can pronounce it correctly and even teach them how if I have to.)
-24 episodes per volume (Six episodes per disk)
-Released in all English speaking countries
We're close to hitting the jackpot...

ssjcj
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjcj » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:52 pm

I personally would do the following:

1. I would create a new dub like Funi's One Piece, failing that put in the early Ocean dub.
2. Not take away any of the footage be it cropping or otherwise.
3. Better extras like interviews with the cast
4. I would release them in a format similar to the Dragonboxes.

These are all I can think of for now.
Last edited by ssjcj on Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:19 pm

I'd release Blu-Ray sets. Starting with Dragon Ball, then Z, then GT. With two versions; A full screen and a selectively cropped widescreen.

- Accurate dub
- Accurate subs
- Grade-A Acting
- Original BGM
- English vocal versions of the songs
- Box sets with 36 episodes; 6 per disc
- 5.1 surround sound

I don't have a high-def system yet. But I want one. And when I get one, this would be an amazing set.