Don't you just hate it when people think DB is for kids...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

vershiris
Not-So-Newbie

Don't you just hate it when people think DB is for kids...

Post by vershiris » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:48 pm

I know a lot of people that think dragonball is a show for little kids. To be honest I blame channels like cartoon network.

I just wanted to get your views on this, I mean I'm only 15 but i realize that a lot of people on this forum are a lot older. As we know, DragonBall has a lot of deph to it and i wouldnt consider it to be for kids when watched completely uncut, but i suppose people flick on to channels like Cartoon Network and see stuff like majin vegeta vs buu and all they see is a blonde guy punching a pink blob wearing a cape, with bad voices (in my opinion), and they get that impression.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:51 pm

Dragonball is for kids. I love it when people think Dragonball is for kids, because that's exactly what it was meant for.

The manga was published in Shonen Jump. "Young Boy's Jump", basically. It was aired as something for 10 year-old Japanese kids to watch after school.

It's okay to like a kid's cartoon. I find lots of kids' shows endearing.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:51 pm

Must..... resist..... urge..... to..... flame.

But are you serious?

saiyanprincess
Regular

Post by saiyanprincess » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:55 pm

My mum comments on me watching Z because I'm 21. My dad on the otherhand will slowly get hooked into it as he is eating his dinner! :)

I know what you mean, I know a couple of my friends would not understand my passion for DBZ. On the other hand two close friends and some of my relatives are just as potty as me. (Well okay not as potty as me.... But they like it!) Yay!

It's just a shame that people can't just stop associating anime with silly cartoons like Powerpuff girls! If adults can watch South Park and Family Guy for example, Why can they not watch some heart wrenching anime? Meh it won't stop me!
[b]"Ok, use your instincts Kakarott. Right or Left? (Hmmm... I'd have to say... left.) Good. Then I'm going right!" (Vegeta to Goku as they try to find their way to free the others inside Buu - Episode: The Innards of Buu)[/b]

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Re: Dont you just hate it when people think DB is for kids..

Post by Olivier Hague » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:55 pm

vershiris wrote:I know a lot of people that think dragonball is a show for little kids.
Probably because it's true.
As we know, DragonBall has a lot of deph to it
I certainly didn't know that.

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:56 pm

It really is a kids show. No matter how you slice it Dragon Ball is aimed at young boys. I think the reason certain fans have trouble accepting that is because they personally feel embarrassed at watching a show aimed at kids at our age. Either that or people they know make them feel ashamed like "What? You're watching Dragon Ball Z? Grow the fuck up man that show is for kids!" You know? That kinda thing.
Last edited by Chrono Trigger on Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:56 pm

It's DEFINITELY for kids, but in the US or UK, I'd say it's unsuitable for Children.

It's definitely something that should be shown after 9:30, but sadly Cartoon Network only shows childish shit all night.

vershiris
Not-So-Newbie

Post by vershiris » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:58 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:It's DEFINITELY for kids, but in the US or UK, I'd say it's unsuitable for Children.

It's definitely something that should be shown after 9:30, but sadly Cartoon Network only shows childish shit all night.
yeah thats what i meant

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:01 pm

The US and UK having messed up standards doesn't change that whole story is a bunch of childish nonsense. =p

There's nothing even remotely mature about pretty much all of Dragon Ball.
Last edited by Super Ghost Kamikaze on Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vershiris
Not-So-Newbie

Post by vershiris » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:02 pm

By not beign for kids, I was bassically saying that the uncut DragonBall wouldnt be suitable for Cartoon Network, (because of blood, swearing, and other stuff).

And I do think DragonBall has depth

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:05 pm

vershiris wrote:And I do think DragonBall has depth
Yes, it does, but it is very kid-friendly depth.....

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:10 pm

....Depth? Compared to what? Paper?

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:14 pm

vershiris wrote:By not beign for kids, I was bassically saying that the uncut DragonBall wouldnt be suitable for Cartoon Network, (because of blood, swearing, and other stuff).

And I do think DragonBall has depth
Dragon Ball can be enjoyed by 12 year old punks and 18 year old nerds at the same time. That's what's wonderful about it.

Satan-Sama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Satan-Sama » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:25 pm

We've been over this plenty of times on this message board, Dragonball is for kids. Lock this stupid thread...
KRILLIN'S IN DA HOUSE!
AND HE IS LOOKING MONDO COOL!
SO DON'T BE CRAMPIN' HIS STYLE!

hotrod28

Post by hotrod28 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:37 pm

DB is a kids show in Japan, and a show for teens in the U.S. due to the cultural divide. I'm pretty sure everyone agrees on that.

ssjcj
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjcj » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:43 pm

The show isn't exactly deep but I guess you can make anything seem deep if you over-analyse. Dragonball will always be aimed at kids that doesn't take away from the experience of Dragonball, it just means that you are less likely to meet a Dragonball fan within your age group. (assuming you are not 12.)

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:46 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:....Depth? Compared to what? Paper?
Indeed. Dragonballs plot is about as think as the paper it's printed on.

Anyway, I think the reason most people think that Dragonball isn't a kids show is because they see tons of American kid shows like Ben 10 and then go to DBZ and see something like this.

You don't ever see this kind of thing on American kids shows. Granted, that's a pretty extreme example(Dragonball is rarely as intense as that).

By American standards, Dragonball isn't a show for kids. However, it is a childrens show because it was made FOR children.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

ImmortalSandwich
Beyond Newbie

Post by ImmortalSandwich » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:47 pm

Dragon Ball is aimed at a young male audience. This includes children, and young teenagers, though it can still appeal to people well into their 20's, and even older. Just because it's AIMED at a young audience doesn't mean it can only be enjoyed by that audience.

Dragon Ball definitely has a much lighter tone than Z, which makes it much more "kid friendly", especially in America, where parents flip out if their child sees anything resembling blood or a naughty word. Despite the fact that DBZ takes on a much more mature tone, and the storyline gains more depth than that of Dragon Ball, it is still a show aimed at a young audience.

I really don't like calling DBZ a kids show, because that makes it sound something like Spongebob Squarepants, which it is absolutely nothing like. What really is, is a Shonen Anime, which tends to be liked by young and old fans alike. That's really the beauty of DBZ. I started watching it when I was 8 years old, and here I am, 10 years later, still watching DBZ, and frequenting a DBZ message board. So while I don't really like calling it a "kids show", technically.. it is.. But that doesn't stop me from loving it, so who cares?
"Welcome to Sex Ed. May all your dreams come true."

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:38 pm

Dragon Ball Z is a show for EVERYBODY. It's target audience in Japan and America doesn't really matter.

I know some 6 year old kids who like DBZ, my 80 year old grandpa likes DBZ, my 12 year old friends like DBZ, my 40 year old dad likes DBZ, my 18 year old nerdy friends like DBZ. I even know 6 girls who like DBZ.

DBZ can be enjoyed by practically anyone. DBZ IS a kid's show. DBZ IS a teen's show. DBZ IS an adult's show.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:50 pm

saiyanprincess wrote:It's just a shame that people can't just stop associating anime with silly cartoons like Powerpuff girls!
1) Powerpuff Girls is awesome.
2) People can't stop associating anime with 'silly cartoons' like it? Uhh, okay... Let's take a look at what Japan did with Powerpuff Girls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsLoLfeoz68

...Oh yeah. Anime is so hardcore and serious. :roll:

Whether adults can like it or not, Dragon Ball is a silly show. That's why most of us love it. I mean, newsflash; growing up doesn't mean you have to stop liking silly, childish things. I think it's more silly and childish to force yourself to stop watching something you like!