Is Goku The "Chosen One"?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Is Goku The "Chosen One"?

Post by theherodjl » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:39 pm

Is Goku favored by the divine force/being of the DB reality? Not just Zeno(s) but by the true king of the Dragon World(Evidently Akira Toriyama from the guides)? I mean, Goku is the most powerful mortal being that we know of. Going by the DBH anime, MUI Goku is more powerful than Kaio-ken SSJB Vegetto to have defeated Cumber when Vegetto couldn't. The Hakaishin even recognize Goku, a mortal, as being on their level.
Do you suppose Goku and others around him keep breaking barriers because a higher power is compelling them to?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Re: Is Goku The "Chosen One"?

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:41 am

Snark compels me to say Toei and fans (and Zeno) want Goku to be the chosen one.

But outside of all that, I doubt there is a chosen one in the DB universe. There is no destiny or fate dictating things, it's all very random.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:48 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:41 am Snark compels me to say Toei and fans (and Zeno) want Goku to be the chosen one.

But outside of all that, I doubt there is a chosen one in the DB universe. There is no destiny or fate dictating things, it's all very random.
I really think there is something pulling a few strings out there. Goku was born a low-level member of his race but is now more powerful than than every Saiyan on Planet Vegeta combined even if they all went Oozaru, that isn't just random junk. Goku's truly a phenomenon to continuously surpass all expectations and make fierce enemies turn into friends or at least allies. Even the nigh-omnipotent & omnicidal child-kings of multiverses are fascinated at his amiable spirit. Its more unbelievable that Goku just happens to be surrounded by so many councidences then him being in the favor of something above.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:17 am

Goku is just an incredibly talented martial artist. He's not some divine "chosne one" or prophesied combatant.

Juts like how people in real life have an innate ability to excel in one field far greater than most people in the world, Goku was born with an immense latent talent that is connected to martial arts.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:13 am

Isn't the whole point of Goku's character that he's just a normal schmuck (as far as saiyans go) who constantly breaks through his own limits with dedication and passion?
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:48 pm

The most popular chosen one in fiction is obviously Anakin Skywalker, a guy who was literally created for a single cosmic purpose. The "Chosen One" exists only if there is a divine prophecy, which is not the case in Dragon Ball. The Gods can't even do their damn job, let alone make a prophecy revolving around a single mortal. And even in-universe no deity cares about this sort of thing. The only one who did was Zamasu, as he saw himself as the only hero who could restore cosmic peace and order. All the other characters don't act because they believe in some drawing of providence.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:32 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:13 am Isn't the whole point of Goku's character that he's just a normal schmuck (as far as saiyans go) who constantly breaks through his own limits with dedication and passion?
Yes, it is. Considering Goku the “chosen one” is silly. Especially if we consider how in the future timeline he died like a normal person because of an heart virus.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:35 am

Baba was able to supernaturally discern the integral role Goku would have in saving Earth from tyranny years before it actually happened. Plus, he was the first mortal in a long time to be specially selected for visiting Kami. If he's not cosmically selected then it could at least be argued that he's made of something exceptional with regards to his character and spirit that make him the person that he is.

Plague-Memories
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Plague-Memories » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:24 am

Sometimes I feel like there's a pretty bad misunderstanding of Goku's character in the fandom :?

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:27 am

He kinda played that role on Piccolo’s Arc. Afterwards, not at all. He is just exceptionally gifted as a warrior, like a lot of characters.