How would you feel about Goku getting another Brother?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

How would you feel about Goku getting another Brother?

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:04 am

Goku gets another Brother maybe they could give him SS4 instead of the God forms. How would you feel about an introduction like this.

Locust
Beyond Newbie

Re: How would you feel about Goku getting another Brother?

Post by Locust » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:24 am

I would honestly rather just have Raditz return
"I just wanna punch god in the face"
My English can be weak, please forgive mistakes/confusingly phrased sentences
Letterboxd

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:32 am

It'd be no different from a lot of what they're currently doing, trying to recapture popular moments from the past.

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodiacBeast » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:37 am

I don't want another Saiyan at the moment...unless he's part-Kryptonian in some non-canon weird-ass side-story crossover.

If we were to get another canon Saiyan, then at least have Turles fighting Slug and Cooler over Frieza's previous territory or something. That way there's at least already some idea of how to build the story and it builds off of previous events.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:09 am

I'm of the opinion that if they can't create anything new, they shouldn't create anything at all and let the series rest. That includes revivals, more family members, canonization of old ideas, etc.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:54 am

mute_proxy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:09 am I'm of the opinion that if they can't create anything new, they shouldn't create anything at all and let the series rest. That includes revivals, more family members, canonization of old ideas, etc.
Unfortunately not only is the fan base happy with more of the same, they demand it as well.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:20 am

You might as well incorporate Bardock into the canonicity and have him meet his son. Isn't he one of the most popular characters in the franchise? I imagine someone like him would be much preferred to yet another "long, lost sibling" whom we're only just now hearing about.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:45 am

Lionel wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:20 am You might as well incorporate Bardock into the canonicity and have him meet his son. Isn't he one of the most popular characters in the franchise? I imagine someone like him would be much preferred to yet another "long, lost sibling" whom we're only just now hearing about.
Considering how much Bardock is used in other media, I think him and Goku meeting is only a matter of time.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:11 am

Some characters can handle, or even benefit from, the "El Hermano" concept, such as Frieza with Cooler or Jiren with the classic El Hermano, because we don't know all that much about them and an imposing big brother can provide them with backstory and depth. Goku is not one of these characters since he's already had Raditz (and Raditz was absolutely Goku's "El Hermano", as his evil and imposing big brother who was way stronger than him at the time and provided him with tons of new backstory). So I don't think Goku could benefit in any way from getting a second brother, and I don't think the story in general would benefit either. Because of that, my response would be pretty negative, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people would feel this way.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:48 am

Alruneia wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:11 am Some characters can handle, or even benefit from, the "El Hermano" concept, such as Frieza with Cooler or Jiren with the classic El Hermano, because we don't know all that much about them and an imposing big brother can provide them with backstory and depth. Goku is not one of these characters since he's already had Raditz (and Raditz was absolutely Goku's "El Hermano", as his evil and imposing big brother who was way stronger than him at the time and provided him with tons of new backstory). So I don't think Goku could benefit in any way from getting a second brother, and I don't think the story in general would benefit either. Because of that, my response would be pretty negative, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people would feel this way.
I agree with you. It would be pointless and redundant to introduce another U7 Saiyan and it would be even more stupid if that were another brother of Goku. Might as well make Xicor canon, at least he would actually be Goku’s bastard son.

Also I agree that El Hermano must be made canonical. Hopefully the DB Room will work out some magic to convince Toriyama that it’s absolutely essential for Jiren to have a stronger brother.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:37 pm

At this point in the story Gohan and Goten have a better chance of getting another brother.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:54 pm

I would feel cheated. Bardock is the one with the possibilities to have had siblings and I'm waiting to see that. Get us more of Goku and Raditz's bond instead, with Gine around so that they can't kill each other this time.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:02 pm

It would be an unnecesary adition, Goku has no attachment to his Saiyan roots and his character would gain nothing from his new brother.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:27 pm

Yeah. I think i would prefer Raditz coming back.

I could imagine a scenario where he's on a team of villains. Similar to how Grimmjow was on the Espada in Bleach and Elder Toguro was part of the Sensui Seven in Yu Yu Hakusho, despite both being a stand alone villains before.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:38 am

Yeah I'd rather see more of Raditz. Missed opportunity.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Mac
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mac » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:15 pm

Raditz or nothing. Though I'd prefer no more Saiyans at all at this point. There's already plenty.