Most ineffective technique?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Most ineffective technique?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:02 am

What technique is used regularly in the series (i.e. not just once or twice) that has the lowest rate of success?

I actually think it might be the Genki Dama, if we don't count the movies. It only really worked once, and that required a wish from Porunga to help out.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Most ineffective technique?

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:10 am

Kamehameha keeps getting the spotlight and is always easily deflected by someone.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:25 am

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:10 am Kamehameha keeps getting the spotlight and is always easily deflected by someone.
Yeah but it also has a lot of instances where it worked.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:18 pm

Yamcha's spirit ball comes to mind. It's just a small ball of Ki that can follow an opponent and causes a general explosion when it makes contact.
Astounding!
Never heard of an attack that can do that.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:14 pm

Shishin no Ken/Multi-form - Cloning technique used by Tien during 23rd Budokai, used only once in manga, since you also need to divide your power and speed
Genki-Dama - Ultimate sure-to-kill technique teached by Kaio-sama, worked only once on Buu (if you don't count movies)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:24 pm

coola wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:14 pm Shishin no Ken/Multi-form - Cloning technique used by Tien during 23rd Budokai, used only once in manga, since you also need to divide your power and speed
This is one of those techniques that Tien should have "perfected" years ago. It really shouldn't split power/speed at this late stage in the series but it still does because Tien can't have nice things.
theherodjl wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:18 pm Yamcha's spirit ball comes to mind. It's just a small ball of Ki that can follow an opponent and causes a general explosion when it makes contact.
Astounding!
Never heard of an attack that can do that.
I think Yamcha's is special because it acts like a long range melee attack. The explosion is the weakest aspect of the attack but damn that uppercut he gave Kami with it could put a Shoryuken to shame.

I also agree with Spirit Bomb.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:53 pm

BWri wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:24 pmI think Yamcha's is special because it acts like a long range melee attack. The explosion is the weakest aspect of the attack but damn that uppercut he gave Kami with it could put a Shoryuken to shame.
It's not really that special though since other characters have basically created the same attack on several occasions but with more success than Yamcha. The spirit ball has some flash to it and may seem useful but as we've seen in Yamcha's battles, it's pretty piss poor when it comes to damaging opponents. He'd have had better results just using the kamehameha because he would at least have more power and destructive capacity with that.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:47 pm

I'm going to go with Kaioken. As much as I love the technique, it has too many negative traits, and its best work was always done on jobbers or movie villains but otherwise had trouble sealing the deal. It wasn't until Super when it was even used again, to combine with the God Forms, and now that UI is a thing, I doubt Kaioken will be used anymore.

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:10 pm

theherodjl wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:53 pm
BWri wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:24 pmI think Yamcha's is special because it acts like a long range melee attack. The explosion is the weakest aspect of the attack but damn that uppercut he gave Kami with it could put a Shoryuken to shame.
It's not really that special though since other characters have basically created the same attack on several occasions but with more success than Yamcha. The spirit ball has some flash to it and may seem useful but as we've seen in Yamcha's battles, it's pretty piss poor when it comes to damaging opponents. He'd have had better results just using the kamehameha because he would at least have more power and destructive capacity with that.
As far as I know, the only thing similar to Sokidan is Piccolo's Chasing Bullet from the first Cooler movie, but even still Yamcha's has more precision. CB has more destructive power for sure along with an actual kill to its name but the Sokidan wasn't meant to be destructive like the Kamehameha. For that type of power Yamcha just uses the KMHMH. The point of the Sokidan is to confuse an opponent and land a long range blow. For that, it works pretty much perfectly.

I do agree that he could beef it up to make it more useful, but to be fair we only see it in canon action 1 time in a no-killing tournament.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:25 pm

The Multi-Form could be valuable if Tenshinhan was able to overcome the ki fractionalisation with something like the Kaioken or the usage of techniques that operate somewhat independently from ki amount like the Kienzan or Mafuba. Like it was mentioned, sadly, Tenshinhan isn't given nice things. Not even Piccolo has been offered much and he's one of the closest figures to standing on the battlefield as support for Goku and Vegeta next to Gohan and the cyborgs.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:53 pm

In defense of Genki-Dama, Mira also used it to destroy Namekusei successfully.

I think I can't tell an ineffective technique because obviously it comes down to how you use it, when to use it and such. But maybe... Makkankosappo? Only hit once as far as remember and it was a pain the whole process.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:23 pm

Self destruct is a pretty useless move in the series. The only time it ever works as intended was its introduction with the saibaman vs Yamcha.

Chiaotzu self destructing against Nappa does nothing. Vegeta self destructing against Majin Boo does nothing. Super Boo's self destruct against Gohan buys him time but nothing more.

I suppose Cell managing to kill Goku with it might count as a success, but it still basically backfired from what he intended.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:53 pm

BWri wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:24 pm
coola wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:14 pm Shishin no Ken/Multi-form - Cloning technique used by Tien during 23rd Budokai, used only once in manga, since you also need to divide your power and speed
This is one of those techniques that Tien should have "perfected" years ago. It really shouldn't split power/speed at this late stage in the series but it still does because Tien can't have nice things.
Well it logically makes sense that it would split his power, otherwise it would be a power multiplier technique. But if Tenshinhan learned something like the Kaio-Ken, then combined that with multi-form, he could possibly create many clones just as powerful as the originals without putting undue stress on his body.

Imagine Kaio-Ken x100 + Multi-Form x 100. Each clone is just as powerful as the original Tenshinhan since the power is split between them, and because it's split, he doesn't risk hurting himself with it.

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:50 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:53 pm
BWri wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:24 pm
Well it logically makes sense that it would split his power, otherwise it would be a power multiplier technique. But if Tenshinhan learned something like the Kaio-Ken, then combined that with multi-form, he could possibly create many clones just as powerful as the originals without putting undue stress on his body.

Imagine Kaio-Ken x100 + Multi-Form x 100. Each clone is just as powerful as the original Tenshinhan since the power is split between them, and because it's split, he doesn't risk hurting himself with it.
Exactly! I proposed the exact same idea before the ToP, but Tien can't have nice things.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:04 pm

Spamming Ki blasts like how Vegeta frequently does
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:42 am

The Genkidama at least killed Boo. The Final Flash is Vegeta's ultimate move and it has achieved nothing.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:32 am

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:04 pm Spamming Ki blasts like how Vegeta frequently does
Ah yes, "That's Vegeta's technique!"TM
Good ol' goof by Toriyama.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:48 am

Yuji wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:42 am The Genkidama at least killed Boo. The Final Flash is Vegeta's ultimate move and it has achieved nothing.
The only time it was somewhat effective was when it was used against Megetta
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:14 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:48 am
Yuji wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:42 am The Genkidama at least killed Boo. The Final Flash is Vegeta's ultimate move and it has achieved nothing.
The only time it was somewhat effective was when it was used against Megetta
And when he combined it with Goku's Kamehameha to beat the Trio de Dangers.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:48 am

Given that it should theoretically be a one-hit kill whenever used, and at best it's dealt superficial damage, cut off a couple of tails here and there, and occasionally served as a bit of a distraction (not to mention that it nearly killed its own user once, on the debit side of the accounting) the various versions of the Kienzan have to be a contender here, surely.

It still does stuff, sure, but it's punching way below its weight as a technique.