Is it actually ever revealed how the Androids got so strong while being human?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Jord
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1011
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:13 am

Is it actually ever revealed how the Androids got so strong while being human?

Post by Jord » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:18 am

I'm talking about 17 and 18 specifically. IIRC they were humans that got "modified" and thus got super strong. I never really bought that since they still retain their human bodies. 18 can give birth and both still bleed. I'd imagine that if a normal human would punch with the power of those 2, it would put a serious strain on the outside of their bodies.
I believe the only thing we know about these 2 is that they hide a bomb inside their bodies but has there been any official information on the modifications or what made them so strong?

fleahop
Newbie
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:57 am

Re: Is it actually ever revealed how the Androids got so strong while being human?

Post by fleahop » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:12 am

17 and 18

These 2 cause a lot of issues if we're talking about in-universe consistency.

From what I know they have "infinite energy reactors" inside of them and I can only imagine a ton of microscopic changes as well. It seems as if Gero was slowly moving from robotic engineering to bio engineering.

17 and 18 might have cellular changes like Cell did, but only to the max of Human ability, rather than some super mutant.

User avatar
Lionel
I Live Here
Posts: 2157
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:54 am

Re: Is it actually ever revealed how the Androids got so strong while being human?

Post by Lionel » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:38 pm

Well they were genetically modified to be exact. I imagine it's probably like metamorphosing them into a higher class of humanoid that is stronger, more resilient and more adapt to the rigours of high intensity combat. Everything about them would have been transformed as a result of that genetic marker being changed so considerably.

Admittedly it's still a stretch to argue that they can go from being run-of-the-mill delinquents to the superior of the galaxy's prodigal tyrant just by having a reclusive scientist with limited technology available experiment with their bodies. Tao Pai Pai also became a cyborg but we saw how much good that did him. Maybe he didn't have the spectacular Dr Gero perform the procedure on him?

User avatar
Thanos
I'm pretty, cozy here...
Posts: 1554
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:33 am
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: Is it actually ever revealed how the Androids got so strong while being human?

Post by Thanos » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:59 pm

Shouldn't never getting tired or running out of energy give someone a huge advantage? Even the Saiyans get tired and take long breaks, eat, sleep, etc... I mean, technically, couldn't #17 have been training on the island literally 24/7 since Cell was defeated? I suspect sleep would be unnecessary as well if energy doesn't deplete. Reaching SSJB tier might still be a stretch, but still...
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Jord
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1011
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:13 am

Re: Is it actually ever revealed how the Androids got so strong while being human?

Post by Jord » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:34 am

I can see how perpentual energy helps, and it showed during #17 vs Piccolo but it still doesn't make sense how they were able to take huge blows from people with enough power to blow up planets.

Anonymous Friend
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1303
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:10 am
Location: Earth-1218
Contact:

Re: Is it actually ever revealed how the Androids got so strong while being human?

Post by Anonymous Friend » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:01 pm

Thanos wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:59 pm
Shouldn't never getting tired or running out of energy give someone a huge advantage? Even the Saiyans get tired and take long breaks, eat, sleep, etc... I mean, technically, couldn't #17 have been training on the island literally 24/7 since Cell was defeated? I suspect sleep would be unnecessary as well if energy doesn't deplete. Reaching SSJB tier might still be a stretch, but still...
Think of them as always having a energy level of 10. Lesser enemies would definitely fall to them. Higher leveled enemies would pummel them, but as the pummel continues, their energy would lessen and lessen until it drops too low. It would require an enemy of sufficient energy to take them out long before their own energy drops to far low.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

theherodjl
I'm pretty, cozy here...
Posts: 1981
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:12 pm
Location: The Planes of Lexington

Re: Is it actually ever revealed how the Androids got so strong while being human?

Post by theherodjl » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:52 am

Jord wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:34 am
I can see how perpentual energy helps, and it showed during #17 vs Piccolo but it still doesn't make sense how they were able to take huge blows from people with enough power to blow up planets.
However Gero did it, being able to offer a never-ending supply of power to 17 & 18's bodies can certainly make them much more sturdy than any mere human. No doubt, Gero also did extensive study on the sheer power & progression of Goku's(as well as his opponents) attacks/techniques and he was able to figure out how to boost the Android's durability from there by artificially replicating the abilities of Ki.
There's not really as much of a mystery here as there is just not there not being specifics to Gero's process. Given all of the general weirdness in DB and how fighters from other universes have a myriad of strange abilities, I don't think it's at all unbelievable that Gero can make a couple of humans be on par with strong fighters.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

blacksymbiote
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:40 pm

Re: Is it actually ever revealed how the Androids got so strong while being human?

Post by blacksymbiote » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:03 pm

Thanos wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:59 pm
Shouldn't never getting tired or running out of energy give someone a huge advantage? Even the Saiyans get tired and take long breaks, eat, sleep, etc... I mean, technically, couldn't #17 have been training on the island literally 24/7 since Cell was defeated? I suspect sleep would be unnecessary as well if energy doesn't deplete. Reaching SSJB tier might still be a stretch, but still...
By that same token, couldn't they have powered the genki dama indefinitely?

Jord
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1011
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:13 am

Re: Is it actually ever revealed how the Androids got so strong while being human?

Post by Jord » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:37 am

blacksymbiote wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:03 pm
Thanos wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:59 pm
Shouldn't never getting tired or running out of energy give someone a huge advantage? Even the Saiyans get tired and take long breaks, eat, sleep, etc... I mean, technically, couldn't #17 have been training on the island literally 24/7 since Cell was defeated? I suspect sleep would be unnecessary as well if energy doesn't deplete. Reaching SSJB tier might still be a stretch, but still...
By that same token, couldn't they have powered the genki dama indefinitely?
Depends on if the energy they generate is the same as the KI used for the Genki Dama.

Post Reply