Are the Saiyans Massively faster than light by the time of Super?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MrGohanks
Temporarily Banned

Re: Are the Saiyans Massively faster than light by the time of Super?

Post by MrGohanks » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:44 am

Lukmendes wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:30 am
MrGohanks wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:04 pm And Dsypo was shown to be way slower than Omen Goku as well.
Wasn't it the opposite? I think Goku's fight with either Jiren or Kefla had the godpad managing to capture his movements, while Dyspo in lightspeed mode didn't show anything at all.
When Goku used UI Omen for the first time, Base Toppo and Dsypo tried attacking him yet they were too slow and couldn't land a single hit on Goku.

Saiyan007
Regular

Post by Saiyan007 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:07 am

miguelnuva1 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:10 pm
MrGohanks wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:01 pm
miguelnuva1 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:29 am Goku's IT hasn't nothing to do with distance. He can get to Beerus planet to Earth if a ki is high enough.

Gas said it was easier to fly then try to concentrate to IT back.
That doesn't change the fact that Gas can physically fly that distance in such a short time at all instead of teleporting, which would be impossible if he wasn't trillions of times FTL
What is the distance between Cereal and where Goku left Gas, because trillions x FTL sounds like a number pulled out of nowhere.
Goku can teleport galaxies away with his Instant transmission and Gas can fly that distance in 20 minutes trillions is probably low balling his speed

mmg86
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mmg86 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:23 pm

Saiyan007 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:07 am
miguelnuva1 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:10 pm
MrGohanks wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:01 pm

That doesn't change the fact that Gas can physically fly that distance in such a short time at all instead of teleporting, which would be impossible if he wasn't trillions of times FTL
What is the distance between Cereal and where Goku left Gas, because trillions x FTL sounds like a number pulled out of nowhere.
Goku can teleport galaxies away with his Instant transmission and Gas can fly that distance in 20 minutes trillions is probably low balling his speed
Miguelnuva1's point is that Goku's teleportation technique is not limited to a certain range, but instead to his ability to sense Ki at the place he wants to go. He wouldn't be able to use it to get to a place even a couple kilometers away if there's absolutely no Ki at the destination, while he would be able to get from one end of the universe to the other with a single teleport if there is a Ki signature at the destination powerful enough that he can feel it from that distance.

Taking that into account, making claims such as "it's x amount of times farther than another place, because it took x more teleports!" is baseless. Now, i'm very out of the loop with the current events of DB Super, so... can you tell me if there was any mention of actual, you know, distance, during that seven teleports chain? For example, was it said that every teleport took him to another galaxy, or to another solar system? I assume at the very least each one took him to a different planet, right?

Speedster
Regular

Post by Speedster » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:59 pm

- Jaco confirmed that Dragonball’s Earth is situated in the Milky Way.
- Planet Cereal is located in the Milky Way.
- The various locations Goku teleported to during this battle were all located in the Milky Way – evident from the presence of the Galactic Patrol, Galactic King and Galactic Prison. The other location was at Monaka’s place which shouldn’t be out of the galaxy as Goku was able to sense him and Monaka is weak. And the Planet Whis was hanging around was also in the Milky Way. And when he showed which way Gas should travel to, you could only see planets and stars, not galaxies. If planet Cereal was galaxies away Toyotaro would have drawn a few galaxies to show it.

It follows that the maximum distance Gas would have to travel is the diameter of Milky Way which is 105700 light years. To travel this distance in 20 minutes you need to travel at a speed of 2,78 trillion times the speed of light. Even if we lowball the distance to only 1/8th of Milky’s way diameter we are still talking around 350 billion times the speed of light. If we lowball even more to just 1% of the galaxy's diameter we are still talking about a speed of 27.8 billion times the speed of light. Which goes to show the HUGE difference between Z’s strongest/fastest characters that could barely travel/fly at the speed of light and Super at this stage.

mmg86
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mmg86 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:50 pm

I see. Thanks for the info, speedster! Well, barring the (fairly low) chance of more concrete distances being given at some later point, i'd say the safest estimate would be something in the middle. That it wasn't "from one end of the Milky Way to the other", but that it wasn't "from one solar system to the very next", either.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:54 pm

I think it's obvious... but teleport is not speed ....

mmg86
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mmg86 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:26 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:54 pm I think it's obvious... but teleport is not speed ....
I don't think anyone is saying that teleporting IS speed, they are talking about Gas flying through space to get to Goku after he teleported away.

By the way, i just glanced through the chapter and find it hilarious how Gas doesn't get out of the way of whatever Monaka was dumping. Unless we assume that sludge is some weird substance that falls faster than light instead of normally, it makes Gas look quite slow, possibly not even superhuman. That coupled with him being able to fly however many AU he's flying in twenty minutes in the very same chapter is a level of speed inconsistency i've only seen previously in some Flash scans.

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:42 am

If you suddenly gained the ability to propel yourself at unreal speeds, does that make you capable of reacting at those speeds?
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

mmg86
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mmg86 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:53 pm

Assuming that was directed at me: no, it doesn't. The ability to propel yourself and how fast you can think (or how slow the world looks to you) don't always come together. But in this case it looks like he was dashing towards Goku when the sludge was dumped on him. Making it seem like he must have been DASHING...SLOOOOOWLY. It's incredibly silly.

Misu

Post by Misu » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:04 pm

It's very funny that you guys are trying to apply real world physics on a franchise which literally started off as a over the top comedy manga

Goku9001
Regular

Post by Goku9001 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:20 am

Lukmendes wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:30 am
MrGohanks wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:04 pm And Dsypo was shown to be way slower than Omen Goku as well.
Wasn't it the opposite? I think Goku's fight with either Jiren or Kefla had the godpad managing to capture his movements, while Dyspo in lightspeed mode didn't show anything at all.
Golden Frieza also didn't register on the god pad as well but Golden Frieza is nowhere near as fast as UI Omen Goku and Jiren. Furthermore, Gohan managed to react to Lightning Speed Dyspo and restrained him before he could land an attack on Gohan/Frieza.

Look at how the anime depicts their fights. UI Omen Goku and Jiren are bouncing back-and-forth, initiating tens of punches within seconds while bouncing around all over the tournament. The number of shockwaves they're emitting is literally engulfing the entire field in explosions. Their fight was depicted at a much higher level in terms of speed than anything preceding it.