Where in the History of Trunks is THIS?!

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Where in the History of Trunks is THIS?!

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:42 pm

I was just browsing really old, abandoned DBZ shrines, when I came across that picture. Now I've seen the television special a hundred times, and I'm nearly 100% positive that scene NEVER happened. (Gohan was on the floor, not holding Trunks)

Has anyone ever seen this before, and knows where it might have come from?

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:16 pm

I believe that happened in one of their first encounters with the androids in that movie. Or I'm wrong.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Where in the History of Trunks is THIS?!

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:43 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote:Has anyone ever seen this before, and knows where it might have come from?
I haven't seen it in a while, but that looks like right after Gohan loses his arm. He gives the last senzu to Trunks, rather than healing himself. :)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Twinbee_Mk_II
Not-So-Newbie

Another find

Post by Twinbee_Mk_II » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:44 pm

Here's another seemingly Trunks Special image with no known origin. It's from the CCG.

I too would like to know where these things come from.
"Ah power...the only thing in life greater then toast."

SaiyaJedi

Re: Another find

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:46 pm

Twinbee_Mk_II wrote:Here's another seemingly Trunks Special image with no known origin. It's from the CCG.
That's from an in-series flashback, although I don't remember the episode number.

Twinbee_Mk_II
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Twinbee_Mk_II » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:51 pm

Thank you Julian. That's been bugging me for years. How come I don't recall that flashback though? Was it cut from the American version?
"Ah power...the only thing in life greater then toast."

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:58 pm

That may have been when Trunks says he put up a "good fight" against the Androids, just before Bulma calls and says she's found a time machine like Trunks', but that's just my guess. I don't know much about the anime, just the manga. I know for a fact that's filler, though.
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Where in the History of Trunks is THIS?!

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:24 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
Deus ex Machina wrote:Has anyone ever seen this before, and knows where it might have come from?
I haven't seen it in a while, but that looks like right after Gohan loses his arm. He gives the last senzu to Trunks, rather than healing himself. :)
I thought so too, at first. But I re-watched that scene, and that's not how it happened at all. Gohan drags himself towards Trunks, places the senzu in his mouth, and then passes out. He wasn't standing/sitting, and he wasn't propping Trunks up.

This looks way too authentic to be fan art, but it's not from the Trunks special, or any anime filler. :?

Dragon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dragon » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:07 am

Maybe it's from the japanese version and wasn't shown in the dub version... ??? But it kind of looks like professional fan art kind of, the coloring looks too... something, I can't think of the word, to have been from the movie... in my opinion anyway. :?
Gerry Dragan (yes, that's my real name.)

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:03 pm

Dragon wrote:Maybe it's from the japanese version and wasn't shown in the dub version... ???
Well, no... because obviously if it was, then it would have been on the DVD. And it isn't. So... maybe there was another in-series flashback that we've all forgotten about... or something...? :?

Sunlight & City Night
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sunlight & City Night » Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:14 pm

Is it just me or is Gohan's missing arm on the wrong side?
"HEAD CHA LA!"
------------------------
DBO - Pauten - Server 1
------------------------
http://sonpauten.deviantart.com/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=539041065
http://twitter.com/#!/sonPauten

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:49 pm

Apart from Sunlight & City Night being entirely correct, this simply doesn't look like a screenshot to me. More like a scan.
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

Ginyu Taiko
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ginyu Taiko » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:03 pm

Twinbee_Mk_II wrote:Here's another seemingly Trunks Special image with no known origin. It's from the CCG.
[Pic above]
Isn't that card from the 'Androids Saga'? As a result, that picture was probably in a flashback during those episodes. As I recall, in the DBZ series, parts of Trunks' past were shown. This could explain the picture at the top of the page.

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:29 pm

Er, putting Sunlight, Dragon, and Dai's posts all together, and speaking as one not having seen all the volumes myself, could it be a scan from the Daizenshu somewhere? Just spitballing here.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:48 pm

It's not in the sixth daizenshuu...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:00 pm

* CCG card image here*

Thanks to my always trusty Trunks screencaps section on my site, I found that the scene in question is from episode 149 (FUNi numbering system.. forget what it is in the original Japanese version. I guess it's 154)...

http://www.templeotrunks.com/images/scr ... scrn10.jpg

As for the Trunks TV special image... I don't think that specific scene is even included in the animation. I'd guess it's some kind of special art that maybe appeared in some DBZ-related book (but I guess not the daizenshuu since Mike says he didn't see it in there).

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:35 pm

Gohan's scar is supposed to be on the left side, as is his missing arm, at least in the un-flipped manga. That pic has it opposite.
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:10 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:
That's from an in-series flashback, although I don't remember the episode number.
Yeah there were a ton of filler flashbacks in the Androids saga that werent in the manga or the Special. The scene with Trunks wearing that weird ass jacket comes to mind *shudders* The filler flashbacks are filled with constant inaccuracies. Apparently Toei couldnt decide when/or how Trunks went SSJ or when he used his sword.

CloakBass

Post by CloakBass » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:20 pm

Looks like an unused animation cel to me.