Why didn't Vegeta's tail grow back?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:45 am

I remember one of Freeza's workers saying they where not able to heal his tail back IIRC?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:51 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I remember one of Freeza's workers saying they where not able to heal his tail back IIRC?
Yeah, that's when Vegeta stated it would grow back.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:54 pm

Yeah, something about how the end of puberty means Goku couldn't grow back his tail was what I was told. Then again, it's not like this is the only instance of plot lines vanishing into thin air, never to be seen again. Maybe Toriyama just got lazy, and decided to get rid of the tails altogether.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:07 pm

Lance Freeman wrote:Maybe Toriyama just got lazy, and decided to get rid of the tails altogether.
That's the real answer. I think he got annoyed with having so many characters with tails that he just decided to stop drawing them. He seems like a lazy artist, I mean the whole super Saiyan thing came about because he was sick of wasting ink on Goku's hair.

The better answer is Adult Sayians can't grow their tails back. I actually like that theory.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Khalid Shahin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Khalid Shahin » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:13 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:
Lance Freeman wrote:Maybe Toriyama just got lazy, and decided to get rid of the tails altogether.
That's the real answer. I think he got annoyed with having so many characters with tails that he just decided to stop drawing them. He seems like a lazy artist, I mean the whole super Saiyan thing came about because he was sick of wasting ink on Goku's hair.
It really showed when Raditz, Nappa, and Vegeta arrived. They didn't have their tails hanging out, they had their tails wrapped around their waste for fighting practicality purposes. But in reality it could be that Toriyama didn't want to waste time drawing a bunch of people with tails.

Teclo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Teclo » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:50 pm

He does actually say, in an interview with Eiichiro Oda, that he doesn't really enjoy drawing. That's questionable, since he chose a shitty career if he doesn't like drawing, but he does definitely give out this vibe of "I don't really like doing what I'm doing, they're making me do it... And who is this Goku person you keep mentioning?"

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:02 pm

Teclo wrote:He does actually say, in an interview with Eiichiro Oda, that he doesn't really enjoy drawing. That's questionable, since he chose a shitty career if he doesn't like drawing, but he does definitely give out this vibe of "I don't really like doing what I'm doing, they're making me do it... And who is this Goku person you keep mentioning?"
I think that he does enjoy drawing without someone pointing a gun at his neck.
He seems to be more relaxed with his shorter manga than with Dragonball.
Dragonball seems to be, for Toriyama, like the son that was 30 years old and still lived at home and was unemployed.
His shorter manga seem to be like the children that soon moved out and went on with their own lives.

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:09 pm

Godo wrote:
Teclo wrote:He does actually say, in an interview with Eiichiro Oda, that he doesn't really enjoy drawing. That's questionable, since he chose a shitty career if he doesn't like drawing, but he does definitely give out this vibe of "I don't really like doing what I'm doing, they're making me do it... And who is this Goku person you keep mentioning?"
I think that he does enjoy drawing without someone pointing a gun at his neck.
He seems to be more relaxed with his shorter manga than with Dragonball.
Dragonball seems to be, for Toriyama, like the son that was 30 years old and still lived at home and was unemployed.
His shorter manga seem to be like the children that soon moved out and went on with their own lives.
His viewpoint on this has always made me extremely mad. If you're going to do a manga serial, then godammit, be prepared to commit! If it isn't popular, that means giving it a decent run, then ending graciously. If it is, then that means you've got to think out a plot that you'll enjoy drawing to the very finish! And when it comes time to finish, then do it in style, don't just say "fuck it" like Toriyama.
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:46 pm

While I'm not saying this is the case, I will say that him saying he doesn't like drawing doesn't mean he doesn't enjoy being a mangaka. Maybe, while he hates the drawing, he enjoys seeing the end product. Kind of like childbirth... nobody likes going through that, but they do to get the end product, and they can look at and say "I did that.... good for me." :P
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Teclo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Teclo » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:51 pm

Well, to quote him from memory, Oda says how much he loves drawing and Toriyama says "That's where you and I differ. I wish I enjoyed it, it would probably be a lot easier to do if I actually enjoyed it". He also totally forgot who Tao Pai Pai was in the same interview.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:41 am

I think he enjoys writing more than drawing, which is why aside from Dragonball, most of his stuff is done in small serials. His style is very unique and fun and I think he enjoys drawing but I think he hates the tedious work that comes with making a comic.

Thats why I think his next comic(the collaborative one) will be a big success and something he would enjoy because hes not doing the art work.

Anyway, back to Vegeta's tail...
To make Toriyama look good I'm going to stick with the Puberty theory.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:14 am

Khalid Shahin wrote:It really showed when Raditz, Nappa, and Vegeta arrived. They didn't have their tails hanging out, they had their tails wrapped around their waste for fighting practicality purposes. But in reality it could be that Toriyama didn't want to waste time drawing a bunch of people with tails.
With Raditz at least, I think the reason Toriyama had him keep his tail wrapped up was so that you couldn't actually tell he had a tail at first, making it a big surprise when he smacks Kuririn with it.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:04 am

Herms wrote:
Khalid Shahin wrote:It really showed when Raditz, Nappa, and Vegeta arrived. They didn't have their tails hanging out, they had their tails wrapped around their waste for fighting practicality purposes. But in reality it could be that Toriyama didn't want to waste time drawing a bunch of people with tails.
With Raditz at least, I think the reason Toriyama had him keep his tail wrapped up was so that you couldn't actually tell he had a tail at first, making it a big surprise when he smacks Kuririn with it.
Now that you mention it, that might explain Raditz's hair as well...
I almost think that explains Bald Nappa to some extent, too. XD. In reverse...
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

NeverRamza
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeverRamza » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:21 pm

Akira Toriyama has apparently addressed this one before. The interview on this website is merely labeled "Interview from an old Shonen Jump issue with Toriyama" but here's what it says:

Q: What happened to Vegeta's tail after he was defeated on Earth?

A: The tail lets you gain tremendous strength instantly by transforming into a giant ape, but the risks are equally great--you'll lose your strength if it's squeezed. Once you're as powerful as Goku and Vegeta the tail just gets in the way. It is thought that the bodies of Saiyans, who are a fighting species, decided that their tails are unnecessary appendages

Really, that ultimately doesn't mean much, bit it is a take from the big man himself.

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:52 pm

Could you provide a link please?
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:17 pm

He sure was drinking beer, my mother always said:If you'll drink it, you won't grow.....

Damn, and I'm really not tall at all, 177 cm, don't know about my tail, Yeah I want him a little bigger, coz' I can't pee when it's -20 degrees of Celsius
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

NeverRamza
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeverRamza » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:33 pm

IncompetentOverlord wrote:Could you provide a link please?
Ah yes, I intended to.

http://www.pojo.com/dragonball/intervie ... yama.shtml

I imagine this interview was just scavenged from someplace else at one point.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:59 pm

NeverRamza wrote:
Ah yes, I intended to.

I'm...unsure of the validity of this interview. Especially since they don't provide an issue number or anything.

*Sits back and waits for Herms.*

NeverRamza
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeverRamza » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:05 pm

Bussani wrote:
NeverRamza wrote:
Ah yes, I intended to.

I'm...unsure of the validity of this interview. Especially since they don't provide an issue number or anything.

*Sits back and waits for Herms.*
I was thinking that too. Hopefully someone can locate the original source (if it exists).

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:26 pm

Because if he had his tail, Vegeta would've gone Super Saiyan 4 in the Android Saga.