Tenshinhan from outer space?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

yunzabit
Not-So-Newbie

Tenshinhan from outer space?

Post by yunzabit » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:00 am

I have heard this belief before and I was wondering if there was any substance to Tenshinhan being from outer space? I can't imagine it to be true.

So what's the deal, odd truth or is it bogus claim like a lot other stuff online?

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:45 am

According to the Daizenshuu, he is derived from the "Three Eyed Tribe", that originally were aliens, so Tenshinhan would be of an alien descent.

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:02 pm

Godo wrote:According to the Daizenshuu, he is derived from the "Three Eyed Tribe", that originally were aliens, so Tenshinhan would be of an alien descent.
Well, I guess I have to stop lumping with the human characters now.

Wait a minute, if Tenshinhan is an alien, how come Mr.Toriyama never gave him huge power boosts like the other aliens?

Damn you Toriyama, stop making shit up as you go along...
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:06 pm

I'm fine with Tien being an alien. He has just as many weird attributes and abilities as Goku or Piccolo, and that was explained by them being aliens.
Last edited by Amigo Ten on Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:08 pm

IncompetentOverlord wrote:Wait a minute, if Tenshinhan is an alien, how come Mr.Toriyama never gave him huge power boosts like the other aliens?
Leave that to the fans.

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:13 pm

IncompetentOverlord wrote:
Godo wrote:According to the Daizenshuu, he is derived from the "Three Eyed Tribe", that originally were aliens, so Tenshinhan would be of an alien descent.
Well, I guess I have to stop lumping with the human characters now.

Wait a minute, if Tenshinhan is an alien, how come Mr.Toriyama never gave him huge power boosts like the other aliens?

Damn you Toriyama, stop making shit up as you go along...
To be fair, members of the Three Eyed Tribe could be 1/8192 alien or something by the present day.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:13 pm

Amigo Ten wrote:I'm fine with being an alien. He has just as many weird attributes and abilities as Goku or Piccolo, and that was explained by them being aliens.
Yes, but ignoring Ten-san while hyping "Goku, Vegeta, and Piccolo are so MEGA-AWESOME that they can blow up the universe!!11" while Tenshinhan has the exact same advantage just kinda pisses me off. Not to mention the fact that the Saiya-jin and Nameks get fleshed out while the Three-eyed tribe doesn't even get mentioned is terrible. They should have just left him as a strange human :evil: .
To be fair, members of the Three Eyed Tribe could be 1/8192 alien or something by the present day.
Which, according to DBO(and partially GT) doesn't matter for the descendants of Saiya-jin. I know they aren't canon but COME ON!
Leave that to the fans.
Now that is some cool fanart.
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:36 pm

IncompetentOverlord wrote:Now that is some cool fanart.
Oh, there's more where that came from. He's a great digital artist. There are some accusations of copying another deviant artist, but they both traced it from the Daizenshuu, so who knows.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:09 pm

IncompetentOverlord wrote:Yes, but ignoring Ten-san while hyping "Goku, Vegeta, and Piccolo are so MEGA-AWESOME that they can blow up the universe!!11" while Tenshinhan has the exact same advantage
Hold it right there. Goku and Vegeta are from a race born and bred for fighting. Piccolo is from a race even stronger than theirs. We don't know anything about Tien's ancestry other than their unimaginative name. Just because he has some alien ancestry does not mean that it's as good as Saiyan or Namekian blood.

yunzabit
Not-So-Newbie

Post by yunzabit » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:16 pm

Does Tenshinhan ever learn of his alien ancestry or is it just a fact about him?

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:44 pm

Rocketman wrote:
IncompetentOverlord wrote:Yes, but ignoring Ten-san while hyping "Goku, Vegeta, and Piccolo are so MEGA-AWESOME that they can blow up the universe!!11" while Tenshinhan has the exact same advantage
Hold it right there. Goku and Vegeta are from a race born and bred for fighting. Piccolo is from a race even stronger than theirs. We don't know anything about Tenshinhan's ancestry other than their unimaginative name. Just because he has some alien ancestry does not mean that it's as good as Saiyan or Namekian blood.
True, but I'd like to think they have some type of special ability or transformation specific to their race. Otherwise, they're just humans with an extra eye. Of course, this wouldn't be the first time Toriyama pulled this. I mean, just look at Reacoom!

Armymanis
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Armymanis » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:53 pm

Could it possibly be that Tien was just a human, but born with an extra eye? Like a Birth defect? I think that's what the author was trying to do. He probably was trying to portray that even people with born defects like a third eye can do extraordinary things.

Thats my take on this situation, if your looking from a real life scenario aspect.

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:56 pm

Armymanis wrote:Could it possibly be that Tenshinhan was just a human, but born with an extra eye? Like a Birth defect? I think that's what the author was trying to do. He probably was trying to portray that even people with born defects like a third eye can do extraordinary things.

Thats my take on this situation, if your looking from a real life scenario aspect.
No, because, as was already stated at the beginning of the thread, it says so in the Daizenshuu.

Of course, I can't read japanese, so I'm just taking Godo's word for it. :?

Ununbium
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ununbium » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:12 pm

yunzabit wrote:Does Tenshinhan ever learn of his alien ancestry or is it just a fact about him?
I'm pretty sure it is just a fact about him.
Though he should know there is something different about himself since he has a third eye and everyone else doesn't.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:32 pm

Ununbium wrote:
yunzabit wrote:Does Tenshinhan ever learn of his alien ancestry or is it just a fact about him?
I'm pretty sure it is just a fact about him.
Though he should know there is something different about himself since he has a third eye and everyone else doesn't.
Why? Krillin doesn`t even have a nose. And there are talking animals everywhere. Pilaf`s appearance doesn`t even make sense. Does that make him an alien? No. So why would Tenshinhan be an alien because of his eye?

Honestly I think that his alien ancestry is something that Toriyama thought about when he created Tenshinhan`s background story, but he never explored it or even mentioned in the story.

So ya, its a fun little fact about him that might explain why he`s so talented compared to an average human. But does it have any relevance to the story? No.

Ununbium
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ununbium » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:38 pm

rereboy wrote: Why? Krillin doesn`t even have a nose. And there are talking animals everywhere. Pilaf`s appearance doesn`t even make sense. Does that make him an alien? No. So why would Tenshinhan be an alien because of his eye?

Honestly I think that his alien ancestry is something that Toriyama thought about when he created Tenshinhan`s background story, but he never explored it or even mentioned in the story.

So ya, its a fun little fact about him that might explain why he`s so talented compared to an average human. But does it have any relevance to the story? No.
Ah, you got me there.

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:23 pm

People don't think he's an alien "because of his eye". It's because it says so in the Daizenshuu.

Ununbium
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ununbium » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:30 pm

I wasn't saying that.
I was saying Tenshinhan himself shouldn't have thought he was a human because of his extra eye. But that doesn't really make sense considering it is a world with talking animals, people without noses, etc..

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:51 pm

IncompetentOverlord wrote:True, but I'd like to think they have some type of special ability or transformation specific to their race. Otherwise, they're just humans with an extra eye.
Well, the daizenshuu actually offers Tenshinhan's alien ancestry mainly as an explanation for why he could grow extra arms and split into four people. I guess those sort of count as transformatons.
We don't really know.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:49 pm

It'd be nice to see a special where Tenshinan discovers his alien roots.

And then nobody cares because he's still irrelevant.

Like, he'll be trying to explain everything to Goku, and Goku will be on his way to saving the world from some random movie villain and say, "Uh, that's great, alien, really? Good for you, Tenshinhan... has anyone seen my senzu pouch?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?