"Changeling" Fan Term Origin?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

"Changeling" Fan Term Origin?

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:11 pm

In a number of DBZ sites, I keep on seeing Freeza's race being named as "Changeling". I don't think the name of Freeza's race has ever been mentioned. Where does this come from?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:14 pm

It's a purely-fan-given name that we are unable to track back to a single source with any real certainty.

I tried to a little while ago, but we didn't come up with much. I see it on alt.fan.dragonball as far back as 1999, though, which puts it at the same year that Planet Namek opened their site.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:22 pm

Oh, ok.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:24 pm

From what I've heard, It comes from the line in the viz tankoubon where Zarbon says that both he and Freeza are "Transforming-type aliens" or something tho that effect. However, if this is where it comes from, then Zarbon and the Cold family are from the same race, which I find highly unlikely.
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:33 pm

IncompetentOverlord wrote:From what I've heard, It comes from the line in the viz tankoubon where Zarbon says that both he and Freeza are "Transforming-type aliens" or something tho that effect. However, if this is where it comes from, then Zarbon and the Cold family are from the same race, which I find highly unlikely.
Unlikely. The monthly comics never made it that far, so any Viz-translated conversations with Zarbon and Freeza (in graphic-novel-only form) would be preceded by these fan terms by two or three years based on at least that one newsgroup "Changeling" usage.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:56 pm

IncompetentOverlord wrote:From what I've heard, It comes from the line in the viz tankoubon where Zarbon says that both he and Freeza are "Transforming-type aliens" or something tho that effect.
"Transforming-type alien" is what's said in the original; in Viz Zarbon says that he and Freeza can both transform (which means the same basic thing of course, but the original line makes it sound more like some sort of technical classifcation). I've wondered if "Changeling" is an extreme corruption of this line that would have come about in the days of fansubs and their (mis)translations, like from "Transforming-type Alien" to "Changing-type Alien" to "Changeling". At any rate, Changelings are mythological creatures, so perhaps this pre-existing term had a hand in the creation of the fan term.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:02 pm

And now I have the idea of René Auberjonois playing Freeza in my head... ;)

-Corey

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:09 pm

Herms wrote:
IncompetentOverlord wrote:From what I've heard, It comes from the line in the viz tankoubon where Zarbon says that both he and Freeza are "Transforming-type aliens" or something tho that effect.
"Transforming-type alien" is what's said in the original; in Viz Zarbon says that he and Freeza can both transform (which means the same basic thing of course, but the original line makes it sound more like some sort of technical classifcation). I've wondered if "Changeling" is an extreme corruption of this line that would have come about in the days of fansubs and their (mis)translations, like from "Transforming-type Alien" to "Changing-type Alien" to "Changeling". At any rate, Changelings are mythological creatures, so perhaps this pre-existing term had a hand in the creation of the fan term.
Purely speculating, but might an early fansubber have simply translated "transforming-type" to "changeling" for simplicity's sake, and it just got taken seriously from there?
... Then again, if there were actual fansubs that used "changeling" that could be dated, that'd be evidence, wouldn't it? :( Alas...
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:33 pm

Haha, even I heard of this term. I think I got it from the dragonballz.de forums.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:33 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:And now I have the idea of René Auberjonois playing Freeza in my head... ;)
That... would be kinda awesome, I think.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:19 pm

Yeah, I remember seeing it in magazines dating back to early in the decade.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D