What happened in the 5 years between episodes 273 and 274?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Armymanis
Not-So-Newbie

What happened in the 5 years between episodes 273 and 274?

Post by Armymanis » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:57 pm

I do not know if this was already covered in another thread, but we don't really see much of what happened to all of the DBZ gang in the 5 year stretch besides Gohan and Videl getting married and having a kid to Goku training. I really would have liked to see more of what went on in the 5 year gap.

It would be considered another "filler" though and would actually make hardcore fans like it even more because they would get to see more of their adventures on Earth. Is it covered in the Uncut version of DBZ or is it just something the authors decided to leave out?

Also, what would some of their adventures have been throughout there 5 years of rest? It seems kind of odd that the earth would not be in disaster yet again sometime in the 5 year stretch. Goku was alive and he himself said that trouble followed him anywhere.

Thats just a thought I came up with when finishing the Edited Version of DBZ yet again.

Ununbium
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ununbium » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:16 pm

You mean the time between Kid Buu being defeated and the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai, right?
There is the 2008 special, Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!, that takes place two years after Buu is defeated. You can find the manga version on Kanzentai.
And there is also the 13th DBZ movie.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:13 pm

What I find odd is that there's a whole sixteen episodes after that in which a whole one fight happens. :shock:
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Armymanis
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Armymanis » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:04 pm

caejones wrote:What I find odd is that there's a whole sixteen episodes after that in which a whole one fight happens. :shock:
What do you mean a whole 16 episodes? Is that in the uncut?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:20 pm

Armymanis wrote:
caejones wrote:What I find odd is that there's a whole sixteen episodes after that in which a whole one fight happens. :shock:
You're using the archaic dub numberings, which is what is confusing some.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:21 pm

Armymanis wrote:
Uncut DBZ is 291 episodes.

You're missing out on a lot.

A LOT!!
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

Armymanis
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Armymanis » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:34 pm

CashmanX wrote:
Armymanis wrote:
Uncut DBZ is 291 episodes.

You're missing out on a lot.

A LOT!!
WOW! I knew I was omgsh! I only own 276 episodes so Personally I am missing a lot! Man!!!!! Good thing the Dragonbox's are coming out. I only have volume one, but I will by the others once they get released.

Khalid Shahin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Khalid Shahin » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:19 am

With your 276 Ocean Group episodes and Dragon Box 1 you would have all the episodes. I think, get Dragon Box 2, and it would be guaranteed. Ocean Group skipped 14 episodes of material out of the first 67, making it into 53 episodes. So once you get Dragon Box 1 and 2 you will have seen all episodes, so for Ocean Dub any episode after 67, I think it is, add 15 to the episode number to get the universal episode number.

Armymanis
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Armymanis » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:42 am

Khalid Shahin wrote:With your 276 Ocean Group episodes and Dragon Box 1 you would have all the episodes. I think, get Dragon Box 2, and it would be guaranteed. Ocean Group skipped 14 episodes of material out of the first 67, making it into 53 episodes. So once you get Dragon Box 1 and 2 you will have seen all episodes, so for Ocean Dub any episode after 67, I think it is, add 15 to the episode number to get the universal episode number.
I am getting all of the Dragonbox's no matter what anyways.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Re: What happened in the 5 years between episodes 273 and 27

Post by Rocketman » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:28 am

Armymanis wrote:Also, what would some of their adventures have been throughout there 5 years of rest? It seems kind of odd that the earth would not be in disaster yet again sometime in the 5 year stretch.
It's not that no disasters showed up, it's that the heroes were too fucking strong. What the hell is going to show up that Mystic Gohan can't blow away with a gesture?

fig404
Beyond Newbie

Post by fig404 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:50 am

Wasn't the gap closer to 10 years?
I know that Bulma said that they hadn't seen each other in 5 years, but I don't think that was to mark how much time went by.

Uub is about 10 at the tournament, and he must have been born when Kid Buu died. The Tournament happens every 3 years. So, it has to be a 8-9 year gap.
(I say 8-9 because the two previous episodes took place at least six months after they beat Buu)
You can find Dragon Ball video-edits on my Youtube Channel.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:16 pm

The gap is 10 years, yes. The narrator says this.

If I remember right, the Jump Special was set 2 years after Buu, so 8 years before meeting Uub.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:07 pm

fig404 wrote:The Tournament happens every 3 years. So, it has to be a 8-9 year gap.
(I say 8-9 because the two previous episodes took place at least six months after they beat Buu)
It's possible that the Tenkaichi Budokai could've become more popular since Boo's defeat, because Mr. Satan tells Mr. Boo that if he doesn't control himself he'll scare away all of the competitors and no one will want to come back next year.

fig404
Beyond Newbie

Post by fig404 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:42 pm

Tyro wrote:
fig404 wrote:The Tournament happens every 3 years. So, it has to be a 8-9 year gap.
It's possible that the Tenkaichi Budokai could've become more popular since Boo's defeat, because Mr. Satan tells Mr. Boo that if he doesn't control himself he'll scare away all of the competitors and no one will want to come back next year.
Was this Tournament's number officially named? If I added it up right, and if the tournament continued a three-year pattern, it should be the 32nd Tournament.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:59 pm

I believe the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai was the last tournament officially numbered as far as the manga is concerned.

Edit: Daizenshuu #4 calls it the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai.

fig404
Beyond Newbie

Post by fig404 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:07 pm

Tyro wrote:I believe the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai was the last tournament officially numbered as far as the manga is concerned.

Edit: Daizenshuu #4 calls it the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai.
But wasn't the first one shown in the series the 21st?

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:17 pm

Yes it was. And I think I see your problem. The 25th Tenkaichi Budokai should've happened by the time the Saiya-jins arrive.

Maybe it was cancelled either due to Piccolo destroying the island the tournament takes place on? In fact, I believe that was stated in the Daizenshuu. Lemme check.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:20 pm

Tyro wrote:I believe the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai was the last tournament officially numbered as far as the manga is concerned.
Looks like it, but for the 25th TB at least, Videl tells Gohan that Mister Satan won the previous TB, while Goku won the one before that, so that would logically make the upcoming one the 25th. We also know from the manga that the 24th TB was 7 years before the one in the Boo arc (the announcer says this before Videl fights Spopovitch), placing it around the same time as the android/Cell stuffage.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:25 pm

Ah, thank you, Dr. Genius. (I realize that this can sound a little sarcastic coming from the internet's point-of-view, but I meant it as a complement. Edit: Perhaps Dr. Daizenshuu would be better?)

Herms, can you also confirm the Tenkaichi Budokai being delayed duo to Piccolo destroying the island?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:36 pm

Tyro wrote:Herms, can you also confirm the Tenkaichi Budokai being delayed duo to Piccolo destroying the island?
That sounds really familiar, but I can't seem to find anything saying that at the moment.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.