Bits of Street Fighter inspired by Dragon Ball?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Travis Touchdown
Regular
Posts: 733
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Parts of Street Fighter inspired by Dragon Ball?

Post by Travis Touchdown » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:03 am

Sonic is the most guilty for ripping off Dragon Ball. That has to have been discussed here before though, hasn't it?
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5406
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: Parts of Street Fighter inspired by Dragon Ball?

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:00 am

Travis Touchdown wrote:Sonic is the most guilty for ripping off Dragon Ball. That has to have been discussed here before though, hasn't it?
Really? How?

Well apart from Super Sonic.

User avatar
Bussani
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8041
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:35 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Parts of Street Fighter inspired by Dragon Ball?

Post by Bussani » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:06 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Travis Touchdown wrote:Sonic is the most guilty for ripping off Dragon Ball. That has to have been discussed here before though, hasn't it?
Really? How?

Well apart from Super Sonic.
Sonic is the lead character with spiky hair. Granted, that could be any shonen character, but Super Sonic thrusts him further toward Goku. Tails is either Kuririn or Gohan, I suppose; maybe a bit of Bulma since he's the machine guy. I always thought of Knuckles as Piccolo for some reason (7 magical dragon balls made by Kami, 7 magical Quantum Gemeralds guarded by Knuckles. And he lives in a floating palace...), and the Echidnas as Namekians in general. Then Shadow came along, and he's obviously the Vegeta.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

User avatar
Chuquita
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15035
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Parts of Street Fighter inspired by Dragon Ball?

Post by Chuquita » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:14 am

Which is a bit weird for me because I don't really care for Shadow's angsty drama, but I very much enjoy Vegeta's antics. :3

Oh! And to add to it, didn't one of the later/recent Sonic games have a time-traveling hedgehog from the future with pale grey hair?

Also, Dr. Robotnik turning animals into robots and making other robots from scratch / Dr. Gero turning the twins into jinzoningen and creating 16 and 19?

I used to play the old Genesis Sonic games so much when I was a little kid and had no idea to what a huge extent they ripped off of Dragon Ball (hell, I didn't even know what Dragon Ball was or that it even existed back then) that now when I go back to play those same games on my Wii I get an odd mix of nostalgia and amusement at the obvious DB shoutouts. Like the other day I unlocked Super Sonic in 2 and I'd forgotten how very much he takes from ssj Goku. Even the facial expressions for Super Sonic are more angular than his base. XD


(Read somewhere that Yuji Naka had someone record and send VHS tapes of DB to him while he was working overseas; wish I still had the source for it though. )
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5406
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: Parts of Street Fighter inspired by Dragon Ball?

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:19 am

Bussani wrote:Sonic is the lead character with spiky hair. Granted, that could be any shonen character, but Super Sonic thrusts him further toward Goku. Tails is either Kuririn or Gohan, I suppose; maybe a bit of Bulma since he's the machine guy. I always thought of Knuckles as Piccolo for some reason (7 magical dragon balls made by Kami, 7 magical Quantum Gemeralds guarded by Knuckles. And he lives in a floating palace...), and the Echidnas as Namekians in general. Then Shadow came along, and he's obviously the Vegeta.
Whoa! They do sound really similar, I never noticed.

User avatar
Bussani
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8041
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:35 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Parts of Street Fighter inspired by Dragon Ball?

Post by Bussani » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:20 am

Oh yeah. I completely forgot about "Silver", the latest Dragon Ball-esque hedgehog. As soon as we heard about a "time travelling hedgehog", we all said, "Oh, Trunks. Neat."

Interesting comparison between Gero and Robotnik as well, Chu. If you want to stretch it, you could also say that the Bio-Lizard from Sonic Adventure 2 is kind of like Cell... Or maybe Metal Sonic from Sonic Heroes would be Cell, since he steals data from everyone to make himself better.

Edit: Oh, and his eyes are red nowadays, but did anyone know that Super Sonic's eyes originally became green (from Sonic's usual black) back in the Genesis games?

Image

This is Hyper Sonic (SSJ2?), but yeah.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6054
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Parts of Street Fighter inspired by Dragon Ball?

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:54 am

Bussani wrote:Or maybe Metal Sonic from Sonic Heroes would be Cell, since he steals data from everyone to make himself better.
That would probably be more like Majin Buu. He even has similar eyes...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Gouki*
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:38 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Parts of Street Fighter inspired by Dragon Ball?

Post by Gouki* » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:11 am

the_abberration wrote:You forgot the part where I posted
the_abberration wrote:Nah, I think any similarities are purely coincidental.
The pics were just for grins..nothing more..nothing less.
Oh.

Well.

I just assumed you were being facetious.

As for Sonic. Guys, come on. Most of the similarities are just surface stuff; fans looking for ripping off where there is none. Ever thought there may be a significance to seven mystical items not related to Dragon Ball? Or realised the difference between rip off and homage?
... Maybe later.

User avatar
Bussani
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8041
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:35 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Parts of Street Fighter inspired by Dragon Ball?

Post by Bussani » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:20 am

Gouki* wrote:As for Sonic. Guys, come on. Most of the similarities are just surface stuff; fans looking for ripping off where there is none. Ever thought there may be a significance to seven mystical items not related to Dragon Ball? Or realised the difference between rip off and homage?
I'm sure none of us take this seriously, either. It's just a bit of harmless fun.

Image

ImageImage
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

User avatar
Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8749
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:23 am

Re: Bits of Street Fighter inspired by Dragon Ball?

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:16 pm

Wasn't it stated somewhere that one of the staff had a liking for Dragon Ball, and that inspired his design of Super Sonic? I dunno. Anyway, if you're saying Sonic, of all things, is a rip-off of Dragon Ball, you must be looking far too hard into it and picking the littlest things out.

Anyway, back on-topic, referring to someone else's comment, I don't think Street Fighter is anything like a direct rip-off, because, like I aforementioned, anything with martial artists, tournaments, ki blasts etc, could be compared to Dragon Ball and be called a rip-off. Just because both series include fighting and ki attacks doesn't necessarily mean either one is a rip-off. You might as well say that Tekken is a rip-off as well, because it has tournaments etc.

Aren't there other manga/anime series that have characters firing out attacks with outstretched arms and palms open? I always thought it was a common thing with Japanese animes and stuff. There's a children's show called Spirit Warriors on now in Britain, which seems to be heavily inspired by Chinese/Japanese martial arts (has ki blasts shot with open-palmed hands, Chinese/Japanese in it, etc).
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

User avatar
Kaboom
Moderator
Posts: 14140
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: Funky Town
Contact:

Re: Bits of Street Fighter inspired by Dragon Ball?

Post by Kaboom » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:32 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Wasn't it stated somewhere that one of the staff had a liking for Dragon Ball, and that inspired his design of Super Sonic? I dunno. Anyway, if you're saying Sonic, of all things, is a rip-off of Dragon Ball, you must be looking far too hard into it and picking the littlest things out.
True, calling Sonic a "ripoff" may be a bit harsh. I'd call it more of a "heavy homage."
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
3DS FC: 1504 - 5800 - 6358


We Gotta Power >>>>> Cha-La Head Cha-La. Fight me.

A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

User avatar
Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8749
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:23 am

Re: Bits of Street Fighter inspired by Dragon Ball?

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:35 pm

Kaboom wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:Wasn't it stated somewhere that one of the staff had a liking for Dragon Ball, and that inspired his design of Super Sonic? I dunno. Anyway, if you're saying Sonic, of all things, is a rip-off of Dragon Ball, you must be looking far too hard into it and picking the littlest things out.
True, calling Sonic a "ripoff" may be a bit harsh. I'd call it more of a "heavy homage."
Yeah, that seems about right.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

User avatar
ThunderPX
Regular
Posts: 740
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:54 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Parts of Street Fighter inspired by Dragon Ball?

Post by ThunderPX » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:04 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Bussani wrote:Or maybe Metal Sonic from Sonic Heroes would be Cell, since he steals data from everyone to make himself better.
That would probably be more like Majin Buu. He even has similar eyes...
Nah, Chaos is both Majin Buu and Cell. He absorbs Chaos Emeralds and if you beat the shit out of him his remains will still move around and reform. :P

User avatar
Kaboom
Moderator
Posts: 14140
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:07 pm
Location: Funky Town
Contact:

Re: Parts of Street Fighter inspired by Dragon Ball?

Post by Kaboom » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:52 pm

ThunderPX wrote:Nah, Chaos is both Majin Buu and Cell. He absorbs Chaos Emeralds and if you beat the shit out of him his remains will still move around and reform. :P
He does seem most like Boo in how he starts off small but gets much bigger and stronger through absorbing things. But absorbing the dragon-emeralds in particular makes him seem more like Yi Xing Long.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
3DS FC: 1504 - 5800 - 6358


We Gotta Power >>>>> Cha-La Head Cha-La. Fight me.

A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

User avatar
nathantheguitarist
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1516
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:37 am
Contact:

Re: Bits of Street Fighter inspired by Dragon Ball?

Post by nathantheguitarist » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:01 am

I just want to add that most similarities in Sonic started in Sonic the Hedgehog 2. In the first game, there were only 6 emeralds, and no Super Sonic. :wink:
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

User avatar
nathantheguitarist
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1516
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:37 am
Contact:

Re: Bits of Street Fighter inspired by Dragon Ball?

Post by nathantheguitarist » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:40 pm

I know... double post. But this is too good not to! New alternate costumes for Super SF4 are... interesting.

Super Saiyan Blanka anyone? 8)

Image

Fuck yes, Kato Fei Long!

The swag is all Europe pre-order stuff, while the costumes are timed exclusives meaning they'll come out for everyone else, eventually.
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

User avatar
Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8749
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:23 am

Re: Bits of Street Fighter inspired by Dragon Ball?

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:16 am

nathantheguitarist wrote:I know... double post. But this is too good not to! New alternate costumes for Super SF4 are... interesting.

Super Saiyan Blanka anyone? 8)

Image

Fuck yes, Kato Fei Long!

The swag is all Europe pre-order stuff, while the costumes are timed exclusives meaning they'll come out for everyone else, eventually.
Heh...he's even wearing Goku's gi... :)
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

User avatar
Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7753
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada

Re: Bits of Street Fighter inspired by Dragon Ball?

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:00 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Heh...he's even wearing Goku's gi... :)
Not really. Blanka was a fighter from Brazil. If anything, the Kame-school Gi were more of an inspiration from traditional Brazillian martial artist attire. Plus Kamesennin lives in a tropical area.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

User avatar
Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8749
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:23 am

Re: Bits of Street Fighter inspired by Dragon Ball?

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:02 pm

Dayspring wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:Heh...he's even wearing Goku's gi... :)
Not really. Blanka was a fighter from Brazil. If anything, the Kame-school Gi were more of an inspiration from traditional Brazillian martial artist attire. Plus Kamesennin lives in a tropical area.
Oh...thanks for the info. That would make sense.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

User avatar
Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6897
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:31 am
Location: SoCal
Contact:

Re: Parts of Street Fighter inspired by Dragon Ball?

Post by Kendamu » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:48 pm

Ketchup_Revenge wrote:
Bussani wrote:
Ketchup_Revenge wrote:That is true, but they could've taken the basic idea and drastically changed the major details. Otherwise, that's what a rip-off is.
Like what...? The only similarities between the two are that they have martial artists, special techniques, and ki.
.....Which practically makes up the entire series, am I right?
That's just not fair. That's like saying Judo ripped off Karate because they both wear dougi in training or that Karate ripped off Boxing because they both incorporate kinetic linking when punching.

Street Fighter is very different from Dragonball in terms of the actual story, the fact that Street Fighter characters mostly use martial arts that either really exist or are based in something that really exists while Dragonball's martial arts are all fictional.

The special techniques in Dragonball and Street Fighter are different for the most part. Sure the Kamehameha and Hadouken aren't too different, but I don't remember any main characters who had a Spinning Bird Kick... let alone 90% of the other major special moves in Street Fighter.

If you just don't like Street Fighter, that's perfectly fine... but to say that it's a ripoff of Dragonball when their only big similarities are that they're part of a martial arts genre (of what.. I dunno... because one's a manga and the other's a game) is taking it a bit too far.

Post Reply