Bits of Street Fighter inspired by Dragon Ball?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Bits of Street Fighter inspired by Dragon Ball?

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:11 pm

I was wondering, is it possible that some bits of Street Fighter was inspired by Dragon Ball? I'm saying this because there are similarities between it and Dragon Ball? For example, the Hadouken is performed in a similar way to the Kamehameha.

On a side note (probably purely coincidental), the attack Shoryuken's English translation is "Rising Dragon Fist" (although the original Street Fighter was released in 1987, while "Wrath Of The Dragon" was released in 1995).

Now, I know what some of you may be thinking. Any anime or fighting game with fireballs or ki attacks can be compared to Dragon Ball. But I noticed that Street Fighter has some similarities (however little) to Dragon Ball and I just wanted to throw it out there for discussion.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Parts of Street Fighter inspired by Dragon Ball?

Post by dragondyle » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:34 pm

I think there has always been speculation to this topic but I don't think anyone knows for sure if Street Fighter was truly inspired by Dragon Ball, but one can hope so! :mrgreen:
You must have faith in who you are.

the_abberration
Regular

Post by the_abberration » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:03 pm

Nah, I think any similarities are purely coincidental.

Image Image
1 Corinthians 13: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Except the anime. Never the anime.

"Look. I'm not allowed to hold you, but I'm sworn to protect you"-Sergeant Hatred

The Lineup: Danger Mouse

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:05 am

I've always stated that it was a rip-off of Dragon Ball, that's why I never got into it.
I wipe it off the tile, the light is brighter this time, everything is 3D blasphemy.
My eyes are red and gold, the hair is standing straight up, this is not the way I picture me.
I can't control my shakes, how the hell did I get here? Something about this, so very wrong.
I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:28 am

Ketchup_Revenge wrote:I've always stated that it was a rip-off of Dragon Ball, that's why I never got into it.
Really? You never got into it? You don't know what your missing out on with Street Fighter II.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:44 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Ketchup_Revenge wrote:I've always stated that it was a rip-off of Dragon Ball, that's why I never got into it.
Really? You never got into it? You don't know what your missing out on with Street Fighter II.
Seconded. Particualrly since SFII came out stateside years before DB. But pretty much aside from what tv tropes called the "Kame Hame Hadoken" that's pretty much it. Though will say with release of SFIV, is kinda funny that Gohan is Ryu and Little Trunks is Chun-Li.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:42 pm

One can not simply state that one is a fan of games of the fighting genre, without having played any of the one hundred-ish releases of Street Fighter II.
Those games were the ones that made us able to have the such high-quality and playworthy fighting games that we enjoy today.

Regarding the Dragonball ripoff statement: I see it as a compliment. Dragonball was just too awesome to ignore for a successful formula in a fighting game.

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:16 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
I'll check it out because of your good word. That still won't change my opinion about the series though. :D
Dragonball was just too awesome to ignore for a successful formula in a fighting game.
That is true, but they could've taken the basic idea and drastically changed the major details. Otherwise, that's what a rip-off is.
I wipe it off the tile, the light is brighter this time, everything is 3D blasphemy.
My eyes are red and gold, the hair is standing straight up, this is not the way I picture me.
I can't control my shakes, how the hell did I get here? Something about this, so very wrong.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:54 pm

Since when does DB have interpol agents, and army guys trying to take down terrorist organizations with grandiose plans?

Gouki*
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gouki* » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:37 pm

the_abberration wrote:Image
This is called an Easter Egg (Asuming it's not fan made)
Image Image
[/quote]

Okay, now you're just stretching.

I also highly doubt that Dragon Ball was the first ever manga to have a projectile fired from outstretched arms and open palms, there is not a lot aout the Hadouken that resembles the Kamehameha until the release of the Vs. series, and that was just for the vs. series, because they were crazy and over the top. Nor that the Shoryuken was a reference to anything DB related.
Last edited by Gouki* on Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... Maybe later.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:38 pm

Ketchup_Revenge wrote:That is true, but they could've taken the basic idea and drastically changed the major details. Otherwise, that's what a rip-off is.
Like what...? The only similarities between the two are that they have martial artists, special techniques, and ki. It's not like Dragon Ball invented these things, even if it popularized them in the time period.

The biggest similarity is probably that launching a Hadoken looks like launching a Kamehameha, but you could say the same about practically every ki blast in fiction.

If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:14 am

I always wanted a Dragon Ball vs. Street Fighter game in the classic 2-D style. I even had a dream about it once. ha.
Trans rights, now!

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:22 am

Gouki* wrote:This is called an Easter Egg (Asuming it's not fan made)
Oh it is. It's one of the hundreds of mods for the PC version of SF4.

However, Dan Hibiki's first alternate color makes his pink and black gi orange and blue. At least on the PS3 version. :mrgreen:
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:45 pm

Bussani wrote:
Ketchup_Revenge wrote:That is true, but they could've taken the basic idea and drastically changed the major details. Otherwise, that's what a rip-off is.
Like what...? The only similarities between the two are that they have martial artists, special techniques, and ki.
.....Which practically makes up the entire series, am I right?
It's not like Dragon Ball invented these things, even if it popularized them in the time period.
True, but every time someone thinks ki based martial arts styles, what do they think about first? Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball was the inspiration for practically all ki based fighting series that came out after the mid '80s.
The biggest similarity is probably that launching a Hadoken looks like launching a Kamehameha, but you could say the same about practically every ki blast in fiction.
Yea, that's because most of them were inspired by the Kamehameha.

the_abberration
Regular

Post by the_abberration » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:59 pm

Gouki* wrote:This is called an Easter Egg (Assuming it's not fan made) and Okay, now you're just stretching.

I also highly doubt that Dragon Ball was the first ever manga to have a projectile fired from outstretched arms and open palms, there is not a lot aout the Hadouken that resembles the Kamehameha until the release of the Vs. series, and that was just for the vs. series, because they were crazy and over the top. Nor that the Shoryuken was a reference to anything DB related.
You forgot the part where I posted
the_abberration wrote:Nah, I think any similarities are purely coincidental.
The pics were just for grins..nothing more..nothing less.

The only time where I would theorize, an instance where SF was inspired by DBZ, would be in the case of SFII:V. In this anime, the elements of chi gathering were explored here (similar to Goku's spirit bomb).

I'm not saying this is a direct result of DBZ and I can not prove it, but I do recall hearing that DBZ did have some influence on that particular anime.
1 Corinthians 13: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Except the anime. Never the anime.

"Look. I'm not allowed to hold you, but I'm sworn to protect you"-Sergeant Hatred

The Lineup: Danger Mouse

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:09 pm

Ketchup_Revenge wrote:.....Which practically makes up the entire series, am I right?
Oh yeah. If you just ignore the story, the characters, the setting, how the ki is actually depicted, and all the other elements that aren't remotely similar.
True, but every time someone thinks ki based martial arts styles, what do they think about first?
Well, I've known about Street Fighter since I was a kid and Dragon Ball since I was a teen, soooo...

Edit: For that matter, I read Ranma ½ before Dragon Ball Z came out in English, too. I'd say that compares more to Street Fighter than Dragon Ball does, and it means that martial-artists-with-ki wasn't a foreign idea for me when I was introduced to Dragon Ball. And if you asked the right person this question, they'd tell you that wuxia fiction did it way before Dragon Ball. And, stepping on Kunzait's territory here, Hokuto no Ken did it in manga form before Dragon Ball did. Heck, Hokuto no Ken is probably closer to Street Fighter than Dragon Ball is...
Yea, that's because most of them were inspired by the Kamehameha.
That's my point. Do you dislike everything that has ki blasts because of that?
Last edited by Bussani on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:09 pm

The Vs. Capcom Shinkuu Hadouken is suspiciously similar to the Kamehameha.

Some drawings of Akuma give him hair that resembles the way Toriyama draws Super Saiyan hair.

That's about it though.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:37 pm

Ketchup_Revenge wrote:
It's not like Dragon Ball invented these things, even if it popularized them in the time period.
True, but every time someone thinks ki based martial arts styles, what do they think about first? Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball was the inspiration for practically all ki based fighting series that came out after the mid '80s.
What about Saint Seiya?

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:52 pm

As Bussani pointed out, Fist of the North Star is also one of those titles that popularized the usage of ki and martial arts in manga predating Dragon Ball. That was a huge Jump title as well.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:39 am

I can't believe people are saying that Street Fighter is a Dragon Ball rip off because they both, (like many other anime and video games) have characters that use Ki and that the Super Hadouken looks a lot like the Kamehameha.