Dragon Ball vs. Naruto?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Dragon Ball vs. Naruto?

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:09 am

Over the past couple of years, I've been noticing something. There seems to be some kind of hostility between Dragon Ball and Naruto fans. I've seen DB fans refer to Naruto fans as "Narutards", as well as Dragon Ball being viewed by sections of the Naruto fan community (as well as other manga fan communities) as being "not a true manga", or something like that. Why is there such dislike between DB & Naruto fans?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Dragon Ball vs. Naruto?

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:35 am

I actually spoke about this on a special podcast last night which will hopefully be going up in the near future...!

It's really got nothing to inherently do with shonen series, but I think the fact that they're so long and have such larger fanbases really brings it to the forefront. It's just fans being fans. You see the same thing with video game consoles. You see the same thing with bands. You see the same thing with sports teams. People have generally made such an investment in something (whether that be time, emotional, monetary, etc.) that that feel they have to defend it to the bitter end, and at the cost of all other people and products/series.

Of course, ya' know... it's possible to like multiple things, but this rarely occurs to folks.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:45 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I actually spoke about this on a special podcast last night which will hopefully be going up in the near future...!

It's really got nothing to inherently do with shonen series, but I think the fact that they're so long and have such larger fanbases really brings it to the forefront. It's just fans being fans. You see the same thing with video game consoles. You see the same thing with bands. You see the same thing with sports teams. People have generally made such an investment in something (whether that be time, emotional, monetary, etc.) that that feel they have to defend it to the bitter end, and at the cost of all other people and products/series.

Of course, ya' know... it's possible to like multiple things, but this rarely occurs to folks.
Agreed. This is basically Star Wars vs Star Trek. I mean sure, Star Trek is better, I also enjoy watching some Jedi action. :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:48 pm

Both have their negative stigma(OMG THIRTY EPISODEZ TO CHANJE BULB LOLLOLO vs. HAHAHA EMOSHIT FILLER SUCK-SKAY I'M SO WITTEH), and, of course, nobody wants to be worst fanbase of the worst show, so I get the animosity. When literally everyone takes a crap on you for liking this, you supposedly could say, "WELL, AT LEAST I DON'T LIKE THAT!"

It doesn't help that a good portion of people hold both series to such an extreme superficial standard, that most of the things people claim about them are just not true.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Savage68 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:51 pm

This topic reminds me of how much I appreciate my ability to enjoy all the "big" shonen series, like DB, Naruto, OP, and Bleach. Though I don't believe they're all equally good, of course. Some are just downright bad, but I still like them for whatever reason.

smiley
Beyond Newbie

Post by smiley » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:16 pm

I have a similar problem with One Piece fans who think it's the greatest series ever created. Hence, I developed a passionate hate for the series and its fans.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:19 pm

smiley wrote:I have a similar problem with One Piece fans who think it's the greatest series ever created. Hence, I developed a passionate hate for the series and its fans.
Oh dear lord. I'll just say that's a ridiculous reason to hate something, since that will lead to a whole new discussion.
And I will point out that your "problem" is not "similar" to "Dragon Ball vs. Naruto."
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

smiley
Beyond Newbie

Post by smiley » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:26 pm

B wrote: Oh dear lord. I'll just say that's a ridiculous reason to hate something, since that will lead to a whole new discussion.
No, it's not. It's simply disgusting to see the lengths some people would go to over-inflate the quality of the series and the characters. It eventually makes you start hating the fans and even the series itself.
And I will point out that your "problem" is not "similar" to "Dragon Ball vs. Naruto."
How is it not similar? He mentions that there's a hostility between DB and Naruto fans. I mention that I have similar experience with One Piece.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:47 pm

smiley wrote:
B wrote: Oh dear lord. I'll just say that's a ridiculous reason to hate something, since that will lead to a whole new discussion.
No, it's not.
Just my two cents, but...I think it's pretty silly to let other people's opinions affect your own that much, too. I can understand feeling that something is overrated, but it's ridiculous to let a fanbase (potentially) ruin a series for you. I mean, you're saying you dislike it because people like it. How dare they think it's great.

On topic: I don't really have any animosity towards Naruto or its fans. I just...can't enjoy the show. I've tried, and it just doesn't work for me. I guess I'm not the kind of person it's aimed at.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

smiley
Beyond Newbie

Post by smiley » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:03 pm

It's not a matter of them "liking" the series, it's a matter of them thinking it's the greatest thing since Jesus and being obnoxious morons in their efforts to shove it down other people's throats.

Trust me, you can't understand it unless you've experienced it yourself.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:23 pm

smiley wrote:It's not a matter of them "liking" the series, it's a matter of them thinking it's the greatest thing since Jesus and being obnoxious morons in their efforts to shove it down other people's throats.

Uh, I have experienced that.
But, then, I am also one of those guys who give a manga a chance before I stop reading it.
It took me around 200 chapters of Bleach until I finally gave up on it. It was great at first, but it became repetitive quite soon.
In Naruto, I liked it fairly at the beginning, but after the Chuunin arc, I almost gave it up too, and then again when Sasuke and Itachi fought, until the defeat of that guy with many eyes on his right arm (trying not to spoil stuff, those who have read everything know what I am talking about).

When I have shared my thoughts to other fans, they have reacted the same as you describe, but that didn't change my opinion.
Try the manga out, and then have a real opinion on the series, which is valid, and makes sense.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:55 pm

smiley wrote:It's not a matter of them "liking" the series, it's a matter of them thinking it's the greatest thing since Jesus and being obnoxious morons in their efforts to shove it down other people's throats.

Sure. It's when it starts making you hate "the series itself", as you put it, that I think it becomes silly. But if you're okay with other people affecting your opinions that much, then okay.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:27 pm

I obviously like Dragon Ball more but Naruto isn't bad. I've never encountered Dragon Ball fans hating Naruto fans and vice versa but I think it's got something to do with pride and thinking that either series is the best in it's genre.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:13 pm

Naruto's just so BORING to me. I don't like whiny angsty stuff, and while there is some comedy and action in it, the level of angst was practically toxic to me. I went through a whole big thing years ago where people were trying to peer pressure me into liking it while telling me how much better it was than DB (which so didn't work and even pushed me further away from the Naruto).

The beginning of the series was good, but it went downhill fast for me. The final straw was the stalling-for-time flashbacks from hell. There was this one shippuuden episode that literally had a flashback to something that happened only five minutes prior from the exact same episode. That was pretty much the nod for me to say "oh screw this" and I bailed completely.

It moves at the speed of a soap opera, that show! >_<
Also, I really, really dislike Sasuke. He's a total Gary Stu in my opinion.

I read the first arc of Bleach and enjoyed that, but lost interest afterwards when I saw where it was going.

One Piece is the one of the current big three that I've read the most of (there are quite a few volumes I've never read though), but even that I'm losing interest in. Like, unless the main group reunites soon, I'm toying with dropping the series until they do reunite. I miss the straw hats together as a group. They're what drew me to the series and I don't get as much enjoyment out of it when they're all separated from one another.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

mysticgoten
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mysticgoten » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:25 am

It's just like with fans:
Naruto's better!
DBZ's better!

Honestly, both series are amazing. Beautiful. There shouldn't be any argument.
"I'm always thinking one step ahead. Like a carpenter. Who makes stairs."
-MysticGoten

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Savage68 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:53 am

DB's quality is irrelevant here, since it ended so long ago.

But as it stands, the Naruto manga is currently a pathetic shadow of it's former self.
One Piece is consistently good, with Oda topping himself left and right.
Bleach - lol.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:48 am

Savage68 wrote:DB's quality is irrelevant here, since it ended so long ago.

But as it stands, the Naruto manga is currently a pathetic shadow of it's former self.
One Piece is consistently good, with Oda topping himself left and right.
Bleach - lol.
Yeah, I think everyone can agree One Piece is the only one of the "trinity" that is comparable to Dragon Ball.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:36 am

This isn't a thread for you to act out the very thing that was asked about in the first post (which series you like the most and placing it above all others) -- but rather to discuss why this happens. Please keep that in mind as you respond.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:38 am

VegettoEX wrote:It's just fans being fans. You see the same thing with video game consoles. You see the same thing with bands. You see the same thing with sports teams.
And here, we're talking about series for kids. The age factor isn't helping at all.
I'm not sure there's really more to it...

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:25 pm

I hold no hate for Naruto, infact I bought Ninja Storm and I will be Buying Storm 2. But I think Naruto vs DB is just another branch off from Goku vs Superman.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels