Dragon Ball vs. Naruto?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dchan316
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball vs. Naruto?

Post by dchan316 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:49 pm

I've liked all of those four big shonen series at some point; Dragonball, Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach. They all have their good points, but are all fairly different.

Dragonball, for instance, is a humorous, spontaneous, happy-go-lucky adventure around a zany, magical world mixed with martial arts. Naruto is more of a revenge/redemption action/drama. One Piece is a very story-oriented adventure, often funny, with everything seemingly planned out from the beginning. Bleach is all about battles, and constantly one-upping the opponent.

Some people just lean more towards one type of story than the other, and there is nothing wrong with that, except for the fact that some of them tend to be unrelenting fanboys. I, personally, lean more towards fun adventures, hence Dragonball and One Piece appeal more to me, but I can still appreciate the others for what they are.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:55 pm

Chuquita wrote:Naruto's just so BORING to me. I don't like whiny angsty stuff, and while there is some comedy and action in it, the level of angst was practically toxic to me. I went through a whole big thing years ago where people were trying to peer pressure me into liking it while telling me how much better it was than DB (which so didn't work and even pushed me further away from the Naruto).

The beginning of the series was good, but it went downhill fast for me. The final straw was the stalling-for-time flashbacks from hell. There was this one shippuuden episode that literally had a flashback to something that happened only five minutes prior from the exact same episode. That was pretty much the nod for me to say "oh screw this" and I bailed completely.
Read the manga instead. It doesn't suddenly make the series awesome but it is an improvement. Studio Perrot's gone from not doing enough filler (which caused the filler-hell of before) to doing too much of it.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

PatPat
Not-So-Newbie

Post by PatPat » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:01 pm

Chuquita wrote:The beginning of the series was good, but it went downhill fast for me. The final straw was the stalling-for-time flashbacks from hell. There was this one shippuuden episode that literally had a flashback to something that happened only five minutes prior from the exact same episode. That was pretty much the nod for me to say "oh screw this" and I bailed completely.

It moves at the speed of a soap opera, that show! >_<
Also, I really, really dislike Sasuke. He's a total Gary Stu in my opinion.
You do realize that you're bashing naruto for something that DBZ does as well right ? DBZ has flashbacks all the time and moves just as slowly ( if not slower ) than naruto does.

There both awesome shows though. The only thing that gets on my nerves is when some naruto fan says something like, well naruto could kick goku's butt... No i don't think so lol.
Super Vegito wrote:
Fox666 wrote:Yeah, I am 21 and stay at my parents house playing videogame and arguing on the internet
I hope that's sarcasm.

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Savage68 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:06 pm

PatPat wrote:You do realize that you're bashing naruto for something that DBZ does as well right ? DBZ has flashbacks all the time and moves just as slowly ( if not slower ) than naruto does.
What? No, it doesn't. Naruto has a flashbacks once every other chapter, and they're redundant and/or repetitive at that. I can probably count on one hand how many flashbacks (if they can even be described as such) DB has had.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:11 pm

I just really dislike Naruto--for multiple reasons, not just the flashback stuff, and nothing anyone says can change my opinion about it. ^^;
In my opinion, the filler and flashbacks in Naruto's anime were 100 times worse than the filler in Dragon Ball's anime.
Dragon Ball never ever flashed back to something that happened earlier during the same episode. At least not to my recollection.

With Naruto's filler/flashbacks I was bored out of my skull, and while I liked a lot of the secondary characters in Naruto, I found several of the main characters insufferable, in my opinion. When a character you don't really care for shows up on screen a lot, it's gonna be difficult from the get go to even watch the show.

And all shounen series anime have filler, I understand this.

I'm sorry, but I just can't see myself picking up the manga either. I just really...it's not for me. Too much angst. Too much emphasis on the Uchiha family. I also don't like what Kishimoto's art style has evolved into. In the beginning it was much more fluid and now it's all stiff and bleh in my opinion.

I will say I liked the pilot for the series though. The one where the character backstories were slightly different, there was no Sasuke, and Naruto rode around on a vespa.

Everyone's free to like or dislike what they want.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

PatPat
Not-So-Newbie

Post by PatPat » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:31 pm

Savage68 wrote:
PatPat wrote:You do realize that you're bashing naruto for something that DBZ does as well right ? DBZ has flashbacks all the time and moves just as slowly ( if not slower ) than naruto does.
What? No, it doesn't. Naruto has a flashbacks once every other chapter, and they're redundant and/or repetitive at that. I can probably count on one hand how many flashbacks (if they can even be described as such) DB has had.

Even so, you can't really hate on another anime for having lots of filler when DBZ has lots of filler as well. I mean half the series is filler. Also she wasn't talking about the manga, she was talking about the anime so of course its going to have lots of filler. I will say say though that DBZ does handle its filler material much better than naruto does. naruto is still a great show show xD
Super Vegito wrote:
Fox666 wrote:Yeah, I am 21 and stay at my parents house playing videogame and arguing on the internet
I hope that's sarcasm.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:17 pm

I don't see any problem calling Shippuden out on its filler; it has more than Z and they are about three times as poorly animated.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

PatPat
Not-So-Newbie

Post by PatPat » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:52 pm

B wrote:I don't see any problem calling Shippuden out on its filler; it has more than Z and they are about three times as poorly animated.
The only time i had a problem with Naruto's filler was when they had 100 episodes of nothing but filler right before Shipuuden. Other than that though it seems like you're typical amount of filler to keep the manga ahead of the anime. I will admit though that by the time shipuuden came i was mostly reading the manga though.
Super Vegito wrote:
I hope that's sarcasm.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:48 pm

PatPat wrote: I will say say though that DBZ does handle its filler material much better than naruto does. naruto is still a great show show xD
Damn right!
When Sasuke and Naruto were going to fight, we had like 2 episodes consisting of 10% fighting and 90% Sasuke emo flashbacks. It made me to switch to the manga instantly.
Chuquita wrote: In my opinion, the filler and flashbacks in Naruto's anime were 100 times worse than the filler in Dragon Ball's anime.
Dragon Ball never ever flashed back to something that happened earlier during the same episode. At least not to my recollection.
No, you are right there. Sometimes in Naruto, there were like tripple flashbacks. I mean, flashbacks that spun half the episodes. And in Dragonball, they were relevant to the story in the least.
My favorite hate flashback is in the beginning of Naruto. Everytime he did something awesome they played that clip where he said "One day I will become the Hokage!", flipping his headband several times, and the person that had that flashback always replied something like "Naruto is awesome".
Chuquita wrote: When a character you don't really care for shows up on screen a lot, it's gonna be difficult from the get go to even watch the show.
Such a character for me is Sasuke. When it comes to Dragonball, that would be North Kaio.
Chuquita wrote: I'm sorry, but I just can't see myself picking up the manga either. I just really...it's not for me. Too much angst. Too much emphasis on the Uchiha family. I also don't like what Kishimoto's art style has evolved into. In the beginning it was much more fluid and now it's all stiff and bleh in my opinion.
Yeah, the art style changed a lot. But you can draw comparisions to Toriyama's work too. At the beginning things were more cuddly, but as the violence increased, the art became more stiff and bleh. I for one hate the Buu saga/Cell saga art the most in Dragonball.
You can also compare to Oda's work in One Piece. The lines were thicker (much thicker) in the early volumes, but as the fights became more intense and violent, Oda started with thinner lines and more detail.
Chuquita wrote: I will say I liked the pilot for the series though. The one where the character backstories were slightly different, there was no Sasuke, and Naruto rode around on a vespa.
Yeah, I liked that too. And also, the sidestory where we get to know how Kakashi obtained his Sharingan~
Chuquita wrote: Everyone's free to like or dislike what they want.
And I will fight to the death to defend that right.

PatPat
Not-So-Newbie

Post by PatPat » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:44 pm

Godo wrote:
PatPat wrote: I will say say though that DBZ does handle its filler material much better than naruto does. naruto is still a great show show xD
Damn right!
When Sasuke and Naruto were going to fight, we had like 2 episodes consisting of 10% fighting and 90% Sasuke emo flashbacks. It made me to switch to the manga instantly.
The 2 episodes of emo flashbacks was also in the manga though, and it was really important to the story. D=
Super Vegito wrote:
I hope that's sarcasm.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:05 am

PatPat wrote:
Godo wrote:
Damn right!
The 2 episodes of emo flashbacks was also in the manga though, and it was really important to the story. D=
Yeah, the Sasuke vs. Naruto fight was the best part of the series for me, in the anime and manga.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:26 am

PatPat wrote:
Godo wrote:
Damn right!
Flashbacks are never ever important for the story though. I want to find the guy who thought that up at give him a good beating. Flashbacks are for "fans" that sporadically watch the show or miss the show often.
Blah, they are almost as bad as most filler out there.
And in the manga, the flashbacks took a shorter time to read, say 5 minutes, but in the anime, it took like 50 minutes. See where I am going?

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:31 am

Godo wrote:
PatPat wrote:
Godo wrote:Damn right!
Flashbacks are never ever important for the story though. I want to find the guy who thought that up at give him a good beating. Flashbacks are for "fans" that sporadically watch the show or miss the show often.
And in the manga, the flashbacks took a shorter time to read, say 5 minutes, but in the anime, it took like 50 minutes. See where I am going?
Not all flashbacks are for sporadic watchers because not all of them show things already seen. Sometimes they flash back to things never before seen, like Jiraiya's past meeting of Konan, Nagato, and... forget his name.
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Good point.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:44 am

Yahiko.

But yeah, I see no reason to flaunt any supposed superiority pf one series other than to say you did.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:59 am

Xyex wrote: Not all flashbacks are for sporadic watchers because not all of them show things already seen. Sometimes they flash back to things never before seen, like Jiraiya's past meeting of Konan, Nagato, and... forget his name.
I for one thinks that a nifty way would be to include those backstories and whatnot in a more collected form, such as that Kakashi flashback in Naruto. Flashbacks annoy me, and always cut away interesting parts of the story. I never understood why they have to be included in the middle of a chapter or an interesting part of of the story.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:43 pm

Godo wrote:
Xyex wrote: Not all flashbacks are for sporadic watchers because not all of them show things already seen. Sometimes they flash back to things never before seen, like Jiraiya's past meeting of Konan, Nagato, and... forget his name.
I for one thinks that a nifty way would be to include those backstories and whatnot in a more collected form, such as that Kakashi flashback in Naruto. Flashbacks annoy me, and always cut away interesting parts of the story. I never understood why they have to be included in the middle of a chapter or an interesting part of of the story.
Usually because that's where they belong. Flash back of that nature are used to give you more background information. They're not extraneous elements of the story but part of the natural flow of it. Kakashi Gaiden was extraneous, doing little more than explaining the origins of Kakashi Sharingan. Konan, Nagato, and Yahiko (thanks B) were not because their identities were central to who Pain was.

There really isn't a comparable example in Dragonball. The closest there is is Trunks's special chapter. Strictly speaking, it could have just as easily (and perhaps more effectively) been inserted into the main body of the story as a flash back of Trunks's. Perhaps recounting his world to the other at some point. Either to Goku upon first meeting (which would have made it seriously different, and cause all kinds of issues with the following saga's progression, I'm sure) or to Gohan and the others between everyone's defeat and the discover of Cell's time machine.
<Xyex> Good point.

PatPat
Not-So-Newbie

Post by PatPat » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:02 pm

Godo wrote:Flashbacks are never ever important for the story though. I want to find the guy who thought that up at give him a good beating. Flashbacks are for "fans" that sporadically watch the show or miss the show often.
But the filler from those two epsiodes was important though. Up untill that point you really had no idea what happened or why ? All you really knew was that itachi killed all the other uchihas for some reason. you never knew how it happened or what led up to it. so it was very vital for moving the plot along. I will agree though that spending two whole episodes on it was a little long but come on, cut them some slack. The anime was starting to catch up to the manga so they had to drag it out a little.

Moving on though, I think the reason theres so much of a rivelry between the fans is because the animes are so much alike. Personnally I like them both ( obviously ) Theres things about naruto that I think are better than DBZ and theres things about DBZ that I think are better than naruto. Ultimately though Dragonball will always be my favorite so i'll always side with it when push comes to shove xD
Super Vegito wrote:
I hope that's sarcasm.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:58 pm

Like both series, though am behind on Naruto (hasn't read psast vol. 40). While I haven't seen in fandom in personal experience, the whole DB vs. Naruto thing, have seen some of the crazies of the Naruto fandom, ie, crazy yaoi fangirls. Not that many in DB's fandom (thank goodness).

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:59 pm

PatPat wrote:
B wrote:I don't see any problem calling Shippuden out on its filler; it has more than Z and they are about three times as poorly animated.
The only time i had a problem with Naruto's filler was when they had 100 episodes of nothing but filler right before Shipuuden. Other than that though it seems like you're typical amount of filler to keep the manga ahead of the anime. I will admit though that by the time shipuuden came i was mostly reading the manga though.
There's quite a bit of filler in Shippuden. I think the anime's currently on it's third filler arc. The first was extremely boring. The second had its good points. But the third just looks awful, so I'm skipping it.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:17 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:There's quite a bit of filler in Shippuden. I think the anime's currently on it's third filler arc. The first was extremely boring. The second had its good points. But the third just looks awful, so I'm skipping it.
I think I've skipped all of the major filler arcs in both Naruto and Shippuden. I just can't stand them. They're so bad (in my opinion), and usually pretty boring. And when they decided to pull that whole "nothing put a filler for a year" crap, I was done. If I recall correctly, Naruto's rating shares plummeted that year, and have really never recovered. Every once in a great while Shippuden will sneak its way into the top 10, but rarely. Anyway, nowadays I simply stick with the manga, just like I do with almost every other series I follow. It makes things a lot easier, and I avoid the filler. :P
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::