Why is the "FRIEZA" spelling wrong?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Re: Why is the "FRIEZA" spelling wrong?

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:08 am

Well there's a difference between the two. Blooma is pronounced differently than Bulma. Gojilla, on the other hand, is pronunced the same as Godzilla (if you're pronouncing Godzilla correctly, that is). Whether it's romanized as ji or dzi, it's still SUPPOSED to be pronounced ji.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:15 am

Maybe so, but they're both changes that aren't worth bothering with as far as I'm concerned.

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:28 am

Has it been confirmed of what spelling they'll use in the Kai dub?
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:54 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:
Amigo Ten wrote:I would. Screw all that. It's like when Godzilla fans say "desutoroya" or however it's spelled exactly. Gets right up my nose.
Wow. Where'd you get THAT spelling? It's Gojilla by the way. The ji was just romanized as dzi. It's a very stupid type of romanization.
I think (though am less certain due to his following replies) that he was talking about how fans say DESTOROYAH!!, rather than Godzilla himself.

But, come on...it's fun to say.

DESTOROYAH!!
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:35 am

VegettoEX wrote:That's an entirely separate conversation. Do you really want to have that again? Because it's been done. Before. Multiple times. And I have to imagine you were a part of it. Because it's the kind of thing you seem to revel in.

We are not a FUNimation fan forum. This forum is an extension of this website, which covers FUNimation if and only when (for the most part) it affects the original Japanese version of the franchise -- because that is what we are about. We gear all of our discussions, interests, and education around that sole version. When certain name spellings interfere with that goal, or because they frighten us with their over-use and showcase of just how insignificant we are to the rest of you FUNimation dub fans, we run into our corner with our hands over our ears and force you to do things the way we want to do them.

Also, it's ludicrous, community members have supported the filters and recommended additional ones, and it's a great way to start heading everyone toward a style guide for the wiki.

Do you want to continue that discussion in a new thread (...again...), or would you rather stay on-topic? We really have absolutely nothing more to say about it.
Okay, I'm sorry. I didn't know that you were going to get so over-sensitive about it. You're an admin on this forum and if you want to censor a dub name, you well and truly can. I'm not going to get my underwear in a twist about it like some other people.

And I don't think it was that off-topic. I mean, I was still taking about the spelling
VegettoEX wrote: For the record, I'm happy to filter "Chorrudot" if you'd like.
Again, it's your decision. :roll:
linkdude20002001 wrote: Wow. Where'd you get THAT spelling? It's Gojilla by the way. The ji was just romanized as dzi. It's a very stupid type of romanization.
It's not a stupid romanization, just an uncommon one. Romanizing "ji" as "zi" is part of the Kunrei-shiki system.

That's why you'll sometimes see "Bezita" on Japanese sites. (I know I have) :P

Silver Sinspawn wrote:Has it been confirmed of what spelling they'll use in the Kai dub?
FUNimation confirmed that they were again using "Frieza" when announcing the cast for Dragon Ball Z Kai.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:04 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:
Amigo Ten wrote:I would. Screw all that. It's like when Godzilla fans say "desutoroya" or however it's spelled exactly. Gets right up my nose.
Wow. Where'd you get THAT spelling? It's Gojilla by the way. The ji was just romanized as dzi. It's a very stupid type of romanization.
Desutoroia is a romanization of デストロイア(Destroyer). Don't know what's so shocking about that (although, I definitely don't like it, since it is an English word spoken in Japanese, and then romanized back into English). It's like Pikkoro, or Torankusu. Even the Angry Video Game Nerd uses the romanization of his name when he refers to him, and it's especially awkward when he uses that and the less direct "Godzilla" (as opposed to Gojira) in the same sentence.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:46 am

Metalwario64 wrote:デストロイア(Destroyer)
Destroyer is generally spelled as "デストロイヤー", actually.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:59 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:
Dayspring wrote:When one of those words don't work in the English language, be it because of English phonetics or any other reason, it shouldn't be considered a valid translation.
We're talking about names, here. My name doesn't follow English phonetics, for example. And it doesn't need to be "translated", as it's, well, a name.
No changes are made because you're starting off in alphabet to begin with. When converting from another alphabet that results in multiple English spellings, you go with one of the ones that works in English. You're not going to make an exception just because you created the potential for one.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:35 pm

Dayspring wrote:When converting from another alphabet that results in multiple English spellings, you go with one of the ones that works in English.
'Don't see why I should prioritize English, really.

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:40 pm

Well if it was an English word to being with, you might as well.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:01 pm

Amigo Ten wrote:Well if it was an English word to being with, you might as well.
So, once again, the pun rules all? ^^;
If the name is based on an English word, it should follow English phonetics? And if it doesn't, it means the alphabet spelling is wrong?

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:11 pm

Well, I'm not sure what word we're even talking about now, but personally, I'd prefer it if the same level of understanding could be conveyed in both languages. If it's recognisable as a pun on a certain thing in Japanese, I'd like to be recognisable in English too, if it's feasible. It's just not practical, for example, to try and give Nappa an equivalent English name. He'd end up called Leafy or something.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:21 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:
Amigo Ten wrote:Well if it was an English word to being with, you might as well.
So, once again, the pun rules all? ^^;
If the name is based on an English word, it should follow English phonetics? And if it doesn't, it means the alphabet spelling is wrong?
Generally, for me, the pronounciation rules all, with the pun a close second. That's why I say Mr. Sah-tan and Gurudo, and that's why I think Tullece is such an awesome translation as it manages to preserve the pronounciation and exhibit the pun.

And as far as I'm concerned, the only official spellings are the original kana and kanji. Everything else is debatable to a certain degree.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:57 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:
Dayspring wrote:When converting from another alphabet that results in multiple English spellings, you go with one of the ones that works in English.
Priority goes to the ones that prioritize both. ''F-R-I-E'' does neither, so it shouldn't be counted.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:32 am

Amigo Ten wrote:personally, I'd prefer it if the same level of understanding could be conveyed in both languages. If it's recognisable as a pun on a certain thing in Japanese, I'd like to be recognisable in English too, if it's feasible. It's just not practical, for example, to try and give Nappa an equivalent English name. He'd end up called Leafy or something.
Same thing for the main character, actually: his name means something to Japanese readers, so should it be "translated"/"localized" to evoke something to English-speaking readers? Definitely not practical. ^^;

Dayspring wrote:
Olivier Hague wrote:
Priority goes to the ones that prioritize both. ''F-R-I-E'' does neither, so it shouldn't be counted.
Er... What? ^^;

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:21 pm

Olivier Hague wrote: Er... What? ^^;
The argument made by some others is that Freeza spelled with an I-E is what should be one of, if not the only, "English Version" of the Japanese name. Only ones that work in English should be considered the English versions.

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:46 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:
Amigo Ten wrote:personally, I'd prefer it if the same level of understanding could be conveyed in both languages. If it's recognisable as a pun on a certain thing in Japanese, I'd like to be recognisable in English too, if it's feasible. It's just not practical, for example, to try and give Nappa an equivalent English name. He'd end up called Leafy or something.
Same thing for the main character, actually: his name means something to Japanese readers, so should it be "translated"/"localized" to evoke something to English-speaking readers? Definitely not practical. ^^;
And it's not something I ever suggested. I was talking about the names that are puns, or more specifically, names that are puns on English words. That's why I mentioned Nappa. It's a name that isn't based on an English word, so making one up for him that is based on an equivalent English word is something I wouldn't do.

Even so, there's some names that become almost totally removed from the English word because of how the Japanese language appropriates English words.

Like Reacoom for example. You start with the English word cream, which is then appropriated into Japanese, becoming クリーム/kuriimu. Then Toriyama makes a name out of by changing it to リクーム/Rikuumu. And finally the series is translated and you now have to figure out what to call him in English. And I would take Viz's Reacoom over Funi's Recoome any day, because it's more recognisable as a pun on cream, even if it's still not that obvious due the lengthy process of translation and change.

This is the same reason I prefer Jheese to Jeice, Gurd to Guldo, etc.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:05 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:Hmm, I believe you mean "Son of a Tsufru-jin" or "Son of a Tsufruian." I think we can all agree that Tuffle is just plain wrong. :wink:
"Tsufuru"
"Tsu" can be rendered as "Tu" (and in fact is rendered as such in nihon-shiki, afaik)
"Fu" - Drop the u
"Ru" can be rendered as L.
To stress the pronounciation, double the f and add an e at the end.
There, you have "Tuffle".
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:49 pm

Amigo Ten wrote:
Olivier Hague wrote:Same thing for the main character, actually: his name means something to Japanese readers, so should it be "translated"/"localized" to evoke something to English-speaking readers? Definitely not practical. ^^;
And it's not something I ever suggested.
I know, I'm just throwing that out there, since we're talking about localizing names...

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:56 pm

Puto wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:Hmm, I believe you mean "Son of a Tsufru-jin" or "Son of a Tsufruian." I think we can all agree that Tuffle is just plain wrong. :wink:
"Tsufuru"
"Tsu" can be rendered as "Tu" (and in fact is rendered as such in nihon-shiki, afaik)
"Fu" - Drop the u
"Ru" can be rendered as L.
To stress the pronounciation, double the f and add an e at the end.
There, you have "Tuffle".
Wow.... That's... quite the rationalization. Quite.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2