A few things I've wondered

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KakaR0T
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

A few things I've wondered

Post by KakaR0T » Fri May 07, 2010 5:43 pm

How come nobody ever thought to put the dragonballs in the room of spirit and time (hyperbolic time chamber) right after they make a wish? That way they can make a wish everyday.
I think it would have been interesting to see these characters wish for something for themselves once in a while rather then keep using them to bring people back to life.

Also, how come everyone kept calling him Goku even after they learned that he was a Saiyan and his real name is Kakarot? Was it simply because they knew him so long as Goku and it would be weird calling him anything else?

Also, who would win in a fight between Master Mutaito and Mr. Popo?

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: A few things I've wondered

Post by Amigo Ten » Fri May 07, 2010 5:47 pm

He still called himself Goku. Why would his friends call him something else?

As far the balls, they fly off across the world and are undetectable for a year after making a wish.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Fri May 07, 2010 6:00 pm

Yeah, but if Goku was able to catch the four-star ball with his bare hand back in DragonBall after wishing Bora back to life, surely they could re-collect the balls before they go anywhere.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Fri May 07, 2010 6:17 pm

KakaR0T wrote:How come nobody ever thought to put the dragonballs in the room of spirit and time (hyperbolic time chamber) right after they make a wish? That way they can make a wish everyday.
I think it would have been interesting to see these characters wish for something for themselves once in a while rather then keep using them to bring people back to life.
That'd require catching them before they fly away. If they fail at that, the DBs disappear from the radar, so finding them will be more difficult and would probably take more than a year.
Also, how come everyone kept calling him Goku even after they learned that he was a Saiyan and his real name is Kakarot? Was it simply because they knew him so long as Goku and it would be weird calling him anything else?
Because he was Goku. That was his identity. Kakarot was basically Tullece. Calling him Kakarot would be like calling him Tullece. Vegeta thought he should be more like Tullece. Vegeta called him Kakarot. Noone else cared about the saiyan thing. (I kinda think this ties in to why Raditz disappears so quickly even though he's Goku's brother.).
I'm going to guess Popo just because Mutaito required the Mafuba to beat Piccolo.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Fri May 07, 2010 6:25 pm

caejones wrote: That'd require catching them before they fly away. If they fail at that, the DBs disappear from the radar, so finding them will be more difficult and would probably take more than a year.
Especially when they'd likely disperse across the supposedly infinite and highly dangerous Room of Spirit and Time. If even one of the balls shot off without someone catching it... bye-bye, wishes!
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Fri May 07, 2010 7:29 pm

I'm sure he meant make a wish on Earth THEN put then in the room.

It is easily 100% possible for them to do that, there is no doubt they are beyond fast enough to catch them, I guess they just never thought of that.

Something I'v always wondered as well: why do they say Goten is looks the same as Goku as a child? If you look at Goten beside ANY pcture of kid Goku from DB, aside from the hair outline they dont really look alike, the same with GT kid Goku. DB Goku was short with zero muscle tone and a weirdly round face and eyes, while Goten has limbs in proportion to his body and hes ripped.

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Fri May 07, 2010 9:47 pm

That's just the change in art style, not different physical features. Look at kid Goku on the cover for the final chapter, he looks exactly like Goten and GT Goku.

Savage68

Post by Savage68 » Fri May 07, 2010 9:58 pm

I don't understand how anyone thought Raditz "[looked] just like Goku".

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Fri May 07, 2010 10:21 pm

Only think I see is the wild hair.

Did they ever stand face to face? they may have the same build.

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Fri May 07, 2010 10:24 pm

I think we're just supposed to buy that in the universe, from the character's perspective, people look as different or as similar as real people do.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat May 08, 2010 1:38 am

Amigo Ten wrote:I think we're just supposed to buy that in the universe, from the character's perspective, people look as different or as similar as real people do.
Yeah. Like how in Pokemon someone can look at Pikachu and say, "Wow, your Pikachu looks really healthy and well cared for," even though every Pikachu is drawn exactly the same...except for random pieces of hair sometimes.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat May 08, 2010 9:00 am

KakaR0T wrote:How come nobody ever thought to put the dragonballs in the room of spirit and time (hyperbolic time chamber) right after they make a wish? That way they can make a wish everyday.

It's a plan that could potentially work, but I assume that the characters never thought of it because...well...it never occured to them.

The characters kept calling Goku "Goku" because they're familiar with calling him that. Ever Goku accepts his identity as being "Goku". "Kakarrot" is a Saiyan name, associated with a history he didn't want to be part of, and a history he hadn't been brought up with. His friends all called him Goku, why would they suddenly switch to calling him "Kakarrot"? And anyway, it would've been weird if in the first half, the main character of the series was called "Goku", but in the second half, everyone started calling him "Kakarrot".

Mr. Popo would defeat Mutaito easily. Mutaito required the Mafuba to beat Piccolo Daimao. Goku, who was even with Piccolo, got his ass whooped by Mr. Popo.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sat May 08, 2010 9:50 am

Savage68 wrote:I don't understand how anyone thought Raditz "[looked] just like Goku".
Amigo Ten wrote:I think we're just supposed to buy that in the universe, from the character's perspective, people look as different or as similar as real people do.
I think it's the "All Chinese people look the same" effect. Goku and Radditz were from the same race, thus they had some similar characteristics.

KakaR0T
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KakaR0T » Sun May 09, 2010 5:54 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote: Mr. Popo would defeat Mutaito easily. Mutaito required the Mafuba to beat Piccolo Daimao. Goku, who was even with Piccolo, got his ass whooped by Mr. Popo.
Are you implying that Mr. Popo would not require the Mafuba to defeat King Piccolo?

I thought Mutaito vs. Popo would be an interesting fight because when Goku first did his training at Kami's lookout both Mutaito and Mr. Popo were able to defeat Goku without even moving.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun May 09, 2010 7:47 am

KakaR0T wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:

I thought Mutaito vs. Popo would be an interesting fight because when Goku first did his training at Kami's lookout both Mutaito and Mr. Popo were able to defeat Goku without even moving.
Goku meeting Mutaito is filler. It didn`t happen in the original story (the manga). Mr. Popo defeating Goku without getting hit, after Goku defeated Piccolo Daimao, is canon (it happened in the original story, the manga).

Therefore we can`t take the Goku/Mutaito fight seriously.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun May 09, 2010 11:35 am

rereboy wrote:
KakaR0T wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:

Goku meeting Mutaito is filler. It didn`t happen in the original story (the manga). Mr. Popo defeating Goku without getting hit, after Goku defeated Piccolo Daimao, is canon (it happened in the original story, the manga).

Plus we know that Tenshinhan mastered the Mafuba, which killed Mutaito. So if the pecking order is Popo > Goku > Tenshinhan > Mutaito, Popo vs Mutaito wouldn't be a close fight.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

KakaR0T
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KakaR0T » Sun May 09, 2010 3:21 pm

rereboy wrote:

But I am referring to the animé and not the manga. We can take it seriously because it did happen in the show.

Terra-jin
Regular

Post by Terra-jin » Sun May 09, 2010 4:20 pm

Heh! Cool idea about the Dragonballs in the RoSaT. The only problem is that a person can only use the room twice in their life (is that correct?) so you'd have to send different people in there to fetch the dragonballs.

About Goku's name: well seeing as his Saiyan name was at first associated with a lot of emotional pain it'd be rather inappropiate for his friends to call him that. I mean, you finally meet a familymember and learn that they're a bunch of evil sadistic bastards... not something you'd want to remember yourself as.
And even after Goku later accepted his heritage, he has always seen himself more as an Earthling than Saiyan.
It's all GOOD

Vegeta Jr
Regular

Post by Vegeta Jr » Sun May 09, 2010 4:24 pm

Quick anology.

If you were born James but was put up for adoption and your new parents called you Kyle. Would you call yourself James when you learn of your true heratage 25 years later?

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun May 09, 2010 9:23 pm

KakaR0T wrote:But I am referring to the animé and not the manga. We can take it seriously because it did happen in the show.
Well, now you're asking filler to make sense, which it often doesn't. If Mutaito could beat Goku he beat Piccolo, then why couldn't Mutaito beat Piccolo himself? If Mutaito was stronger than Popo, then he shouldn't have needed the Mafuba.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!