A few things I've wondered

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Re: A few things I've wondered

Post by Rocketman » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:30 am

Dayspring wrote:Anyhoo, I wonder why she bothered to invest so much time and energy into researching the DB. She finds a glass/crystal ornament among her family's extravagant crap and never once assumed her mom or dad (or even herself) made an impulse buy at a trinket store?
The Dragonballs are radioactive. It probably set off all sorts of alerts in the main building.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:55 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Dayspring wrote:Anyhoo, I wonder why she bothered to invest so much time and energy into researching the DB. She finds a glass/crystal ornament among her family's extravagant crap and never once assumed her mom or dad (or even herself) made an impulse buy at a trinket store?
The Dragonballs are radioactive. It probably set off all sorts of alerts in the main building.
A radioactive trinket doesn't make her think someone at the Capsule Corp once experimented with radiation?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

KakaR0T
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KakaR0T » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:59 am

If a pure Saiyan's hair does not change from the day that he is born then how did Vegeta grow a mustache?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:48 am

KakaR0T wrote:If a pure Saiyan's hair does not change from the day that he is born then how did Vegeta grow a mustache?
Uhh, maybe that rule doesn't apply to facial hair?

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:41 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
KakaR0T wrote:If a pure Saiyan's hair does not change from the day that he is born then how did Vegeta grow a mustache?
The thought of baby Nappa with a mustache gives me nightmares.

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:52 am

MR.Mark wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
The thought of baby Nappa with a mustache gives me nightmares.
I literally just heard TFS Nappa go "Goo Goo Gaa Gaa" clear as day.

Creepy.
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:28 am

Dayspring wrote:
Rocketman wrote:The Dragonballs are radioactive. It probably set off all sorts of alerts in the main building.
A radioactive trinket doesn't make her think someone at the Capsule Corp once experimented with radiation?
Depends on the kind of radioactivity, I suppose.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:30 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Dayspring wrote:
Rocketman wrote:The Dragonballs are radioactive. It probably set off all sorts of alerts in the main building.
Depends on the kind of radioactivity, I suppose.
Apparently completely useless other than that it can be picked up by some form of radar. Neat in itself, I suppose, but obsession driving prior to finding out what they're used for? I'd rather she'd have known about the legend (and just thought it was some random children's fable) and then discovered the ball.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

KakaR0T
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KakaR0T » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:57 am

It is a fact that the dragon cannot grant a wish that is beyond the power of the creator. So logically speaking, since the dragon can bring a person back to life then so can the creator. So why were the dragonballs even needed on Namek? Couldn't Guru himself grant Krillin and Gohan's wishes?

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:19 am

Think of it like this:

The average human body contains a small amount of gold. Can that gold be used for anything as-is? No, it would have to be extracted, refined, etc. etc. before you could use it or seel it or what have you.

In the same way, while Kami and Guru may technically have the power/magic to bring someone back to life, they can't do it except by reconfiguring their power into the dragons.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:01 am

KakaR0T wrote:Did Goku know how to have sex or did ChiChi have to teach him?
Goku is an adult and has gone through puberty. Chi-Chi is a master of seduction. Join up the dots. :P
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:49 am

KakaR0T wrote:It is a fact that the dragon cannot grant a wish that is beyond the power of the creator. So logically speaking, since the dragon can bring a person back to life then so can the creator. So why were the dragonballs even needed on Namek? Couldn't Guru himself grant Krillin and Gohan's wishes?
No. Power never equates with skill. Piccolo greatly surpasses Dende, but will never be able to create Dragonballs or heal people simply because he's not a Dragon Clansmen. It's them same concept with the DBs and their creator: the creators can't grant the wishes themselves, simply because they're not Dragons.

KakaR0T
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KakaR0T » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:39 am

Another thing I've always wondered is why does a scouter explode if the power levels are "big"? You would think that if a power level went beyond a number that the scouter can read then it would just go up to it's highest number and stay there or give an error message of some kind but why does it explode? (this might be like asking why does Roshi gets nosebleeds when he sees hot girls but I thought I'd give it a shot).

How come Zarbon's scouter exploded when he read Vegeta's level at 22,000 but Dodoria was able to read a higher level just fine without it exploding?

And how exactly is a power level measured? If you have a power level of say 24,000 what does that mean? 24,000 what?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:06 am

It was Toriyama's method of getting rid of scouters so that he didn't have to continue giving battle powers. You don't have to make up numbers if they all blow up. =P Tradition also hold that if an opponent makes your scouter blow up, it signifies that things just aren't going to end well for you. lol

As for what battle powers are and what exactly they mean, this is the best I can do for you: http://www.kanzentai.com/bp.php?id=bps
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:47 am

KakaR0T wrote:Another thing I've always wondered is why does a scouter explode if the power levels are "big"? You would think that if a power level went beyond a number that the scouter can read then it would just go up to it's highest number and stay there or give an error message of some kind but why does it explode? (this might be like asking why does Roshi gets nosebleeds when he sees hot girls but I thought I'd give it a shot).

How come Zarbon's scouter exploded when he read Vegeta's level at 22,000 but Dodoria was able to read a higher level just fine without it exploding?

And how exactly is a power level measured? If you have a power level of say 24,000 what does that mean? 24,000 what?
I always took it as an instance of all the readouts are overflowing the scouter's sensors, and it just can't cope with the readings and burned out the circuits. In all situations of us seeing a scouter explode from the side of someone's face when reading battle powers, it was with the scouter already turned on and reading battle powers before the power-up occurred. As the numbers started coming in, the readouts were just coming in too fast and were too high to actually handle them (that's why Zarbon's scouter blew up when reading Vegeta's battle power, why the scouter Bulma was using that belonged to Raditz did when reading Goku's, and why Frieza's blew up when reading Vegeta's as well). When it's just a static battle power, it's not going to overload the system when the scouter is activated, which is why Dodoria was able to read Vegeta's battle power despite it being higher than what Zarbon's had read before it blew out.

I've wondered though, and I forget if it was mentioned in the manga or the Daizenshuu or not, but were the scouters brought by the Ginyu Tokusentai of a superior quality than the ones that Frieza's men brought when they came to Nameksei? They seemed to have a far higher threshold for durability when reading battle powers than those earlier scouters did, so I didn't know if it was mentioned or suggested that they were some better model.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:48 am

I seem to remember it being stated that Dodoria's scouter was a newer model than Zarban's.
It has also been mentioned that scouters tend to explode when someone is powering up, not just when people are standing there putting out tons of power... but eh.
Scouters existed for the sole purpose of being wrong. ^^. (Well, and commenting on the space-warriors, but meh. XD )
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).