Why didn't Popo just lend Goku his carpet?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Why didn't Popo just lend Goku his carpet?

Post by The Tori-bot » Sat May 08, 2010 2:57 pm

If Popo's flying carpet can travel zillions of miles in the blink of an eye, why didn't he just lend it to Goku so he could get to Vegeta and Nappa quicker and save his friends, instead of taking Kinto'un and in the process causing them all to die?

What an asshole!

AAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHHHHHHHHH!
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

hleV
Banned

Re: Why didn't Popo just lend Goku his carpet?

Post by hleV » Sat May 08, 2010 3:07 pm

Popo's black, that's why!

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat May 08, 2010 3:09 pm

Yeah, Mr. Popo was just being an asshole. :P

Seriously, though, in Dragon Ball, there are probably millions of potential plans that the characters could've gone for, but that would've killed off the suspense and ruined Toriyama's intentions for the plot.
hleV wrote:Popo's black, that's why!
I don't understand. :?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat May 08, 2010 3:25 pm

Popo's carpet requires three months to fully charge. :P
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat May 08, 2010 3:37 pm

If people don't die or if people don't see others in pain they don't dig down deep for the power or train harder.

Case and point: If Goku didn't die in the fight against raditz, he wouldn't have gotten King Kai's training and would have been killed by Nappa.

Also a side note, I do fully believe that Vegeta was much stronger than Goku in that fight. [it was 4 against 1]

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Sat May 08, 2010 3:49 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:If people don't die or if people don't see others in pain they don't dig down deep for the power or train harder.

Case and point: If Goku didn't die in the fight against raditz, he wouldn't have gotten King Kai's training and would have been killed by Nappa.

Also a side note, I do fully believe that Vegeta was much stronger than Goku in that fight. [it was 4 against 1]

That doesn't really explain why Popo apparently made Goku dig down deep to yell at his cloud for not going fast enough.

Anyway, Popo only looks out for one guy. Popo.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

the_abberration
Regular

Post by the_abberration » Sat May 08, 2010 5:32 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:If Popo's flying carpet can travel zillions of miles in the blink of an eye, why didn't he just lend it to Goku so he could get to Vegeta and Nappa quicker and save his friends, instead of taking Kinto'un and in the process causing them all to die?

What an asshole!

He was makin' toast
1 Corinthians 13: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Except the anime. Never the anime.

"Look. I'm not allowed to hold you, but I'm sworn to protect you"-Sergeant Hatred

The Lineup: Danger Mouse

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat May 08, 2010 6:14 pm

That would have been boring.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sat May 08, 2010 6:19 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:If Popo's flying carpet can travel zillions of miles in the blink of an eye, why didn't he just lend it to Goku so he could get to Vegeta and Nappa quicker and save his friends, instead of taking Kinto'un and in the process causing them all to die?

What an asshole!
What about Kaiou? We eventually find out that he knows Shunkan Idou, so why didn't he just teleport Gokuu to Earth? Or at least to Enma's office?

Staying home and playing chess with Bubbles is obviously more important to him than keeping Yamcha from dying. What a jerk.
-Rachel

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat May 08, 2010 6:54 pm

Really? When is it shown that Kaio knows Shunkan Ido? I don't recall that ever happening.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sat May 08, 2010 7:08 pm

I seem to remember it being implied (and I've seen plenty of others say it too) that he knew it when Gokuu showed it off to him, but looking at the manga again, apparently he doesn't really say that exactly. He definitely does know of it, though. So maybe he's not a jerk after all. Maybe.
-Rachel

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat May 08, 2010 7:26 pm

Heh, could it explain why Yamucha, Tenshinhan, and Chaozu miraculously appear right at Capsule Corporation the moment they're wished back in the anime? That kinda looked like Shunkan Ido... :wink:
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat May 08, 2010 8:06 pm

For the same reason Goku fought Buu and endangered countless lives by sending Trunks to Capsule Corp when he could have just teleported there in an instant?

Who's the asshole here?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat May 08, 2010 8:09 pm

Well... can't argue with that. Touche, sir.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat May 08, 2010 9:22 pm

TripleRach wrote:I seem to remember it being implied (and I've seen plenty of others say it too) that he knew it when Gokuu showed it off to him, but looking at the manga again, apparently he doesn't really say that exactly. He definitely does know of it, though. So maybe he's not a jerk after all. Maybe.
He uses it at that time in filler, so you're not just remembering stuff that didn't happen.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat May 08, 2010 9:53 pm

Bussani wrote:
TripleRach wrote:I seem to remember it being implied (and I've seen plenty of others say it too) that he knew it when Gokuu showed it off to him, but looking at the manga again, apparently he doesn't really say that exactly. He definitely does know of it, though. So maybe he's not a jerk after all. Maybe.
He uses it at that time in filler, so you're not just remembering stuff that didn't happen.
Well, if it's filler, then she technically is remembering stuff that didn't happen. :lol:

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sun May 09, 2010 1:29 am

What an asshole!

Isn't it obvious? He was making toast and couldn't teleport Goku to fight because then he would burn them.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sun May 09, 2010 4:47 am

Kaboom wrote:Popo's carpet requires three months to fully charge. :P
DING DING DING!! We have a winner.
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Gamma

Post by Gamma » Sun May 09, 2010 5:38 am

If Popo's carpet is really that fast then why didn't they just use that to get to Planet Namek? I'm sure Bulma, Krillin and Gohan could hold their breaths for the few seconds it would take them to get there. :lol:

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sun May 09, 2010 7:16 pm

The FUNi dub had him state that he could have taught it to Goku, though I'm not sure about the Japanese anime. :?
But the way that scene goes led me to believe it showed him using it briefly. And I recall there being about three other people in the room watching it with me at the time that seemed to arrive at the same conclusion. :?
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).