Does not training make one's power level decrease?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Does not training make one's power level decrease?

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:42 am

After the Cell Games Gohan did not train and lost a good amount of power. Now does this apply to everyone? Like maybe it only applies to Saiyans or something?

Take a guy like Freeza, this guy mostly just seems to sit around and have his henchman do all the work for him. I doubt he has ever had a power drop or anything.

Thoughts?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Does not training make one's power level decrease?

Post by Savage68 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:00 am

I would assume that if you increased your power through training, it's gonna decrease when you slack off. So Gohan would be weaker after 7 years of sitting on his arse, but Freeza would not be, since he (presumably) didn't work for his huge battle power.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:02 am

I always figured it was like if you exercise regularly, your muscles get stronger. If you stop exercising, they get weaker because they're not being used.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:15 am

I agree with the two above posts, at least in principle. I see Gohan's decline in power as more of a mental thing than a muscle thing, but the analogy is still apt: use it or lose it, just like any skill.

In Freeza's case, most of his power is just natural. The only time he might have to put a lot of effort into raising it is when he goes to his "100% full power" mode. I suppose that could get weaker if he...how would you put it...lost the mindset of a fighter? Grew soft mentally? But I can't imagine that happening.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:51 am

Thanks for the input guys.

Another question - Android #18. Can her power decrease from slacking off, or can her power even increase from training?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:25 am

Kid Buu wrote:Thanks for the input guys.

Another question - Android #18. Can her power decrease from slacking off, or can her power even increase from training?
There's obviously no definitive answer for that--just a bunch of theories and opinions. If I were to give mine, I'd say that the "infinite energy reactor" that she uses may be infinite in duration, but not in output, and that training wouldn't affect how much energy it puts out at any given moment. I suppose there might be other ways for her to get stronger that don't involve her cybernetic enhancements, though.

On the other hand, the output of the reactor may only be limited by how much the body can handle, in which case improving the body might somehow help... We really don't know enough details about how it works to say for sure.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Questrider
Beyond Newbie

Post by Questrider » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:07 am

Bussani wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:Thanks for the input guys.

There's obviously no definitive answer for that--just a bunch of theories and opinions. If I were to give mine, I'd say that the "infinite energy reactor" that she uses may be infinite in duration, but not in output, and that training wouldn't affect how much energy it puts out at any given moment. I suppose there might be other ways for her to get stronger that don't involve her cybernetic enhancements, though.

On the other hand, the output of the reactor may only be limited by how much the body can handle, in which case improving the body might somehow help... We really don't know enough details about how it works to say for sure.
I agree with just about all of what you posted but would like to add:

Is it possible that Android 18 could learn to raise her power level by methods similar to what the Z fighter’s use? (Natural methods?) Because she is mostly human, I don't see why she could not learn a different method of energy manipulation. So, instead of using her robotic "power supply", she could learn to use her human "natural power" if that makes any sense. If she could do this, she would basically have 2 different ways to produce energy, thus one aspect at least could possibly grow stronger... which in this case would be her human side. This is based on the assumption that her robotic side has limits in place.

On original question:
In a case like Freeza or Cell where so much power is inherent, certainly training would boost their strength but I'm not sure they would lose very much considering that power was always theirs to begin with per their respective forms. I mean, once Cell absorbed 17 and 18, that power wasn't going anywhere. Even after he self destructed, his power stayed with him and he even gained a new ability in the process. (IT)
The human fighters, on the other hand had to "earn" their power through training which makes me think that without training, the power would certainly decline. Gohan was proof enough of this, I think, and so in the end I think it comes down to how the power was gained in the first place: Inherent or worked for.
-Questrider

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:35 am

Questrider wrote:Is it possible that Android 18 could learn to raise her power level by methods similar to what the Z fighter’s use? (Natural methods?) Because she is mostly human, I don't see why she could not learn a different method of energy manipulation. So, instead of using her robotic "power supply", she could learn to use her human "natural power" if that makes any sense. If she could do this, she would basically have 2 different ways to produce energy, thus one aspect at least could possibly grow stronger... which in this case would be her human side. This is based on the assumption that her robotic side has limits in place.
Obviously we don't know for sure, but yeah, that's why I said, "I suppose there might be other ways for her to get stronger that don't involve her cybernetic enhancements." Her artificial enhancements probably can't be powered up by "training", but maybe her human side could be. Of course, even if possible, I have no idea how the two halves would work together--if they'd just kind of merge into one big pool, or be two separate things.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:43 am

Questrider wrote: I agree with just about all of what you posted but would like to add:

Is it possible that Android 18 could learn to raise her power level by methods similar to what the Z fighter’s use? (Natural methods?) Because she is mostly human, I don't see why she could not learn a different method of energy manipulation. So, instead of using her robotic "power supply", she could learn to use her human "natural power" if that makes any sense. If she could do this, she would basically have 2 different ways to produce energy, thus one aspect at least could possibly grow stronger... which in this case would be her human side. This is based on the assumption that her robotic side has limits in place.
I suppose it depends on how you believe ki works. Is it like the chakra networks in Naruto where the energy has channels throughout the body that it travels and where it can be expelled from? or is it just a system where the warrior can focus ki anywhere by simply wanting it to be there (willpower or something).

If it is similar to the chakra networks then there is a chance that 18 may be unable to get stronger by natural means, as the infinite energy reactor may have replaced her organic networks with artificial ones, only allowing the device's produced energy to be sent throughout the body and be used as desired.

If the reactor was used in a similar way as above, but fighters can use actual ki in whatever method they want just through force of will or such, then there is a chance that she could bypass the artificial network or even use both of them together. Use the organic ki for attacks and inorganic energy for stamina or something.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:52 am

Well, the problem is how could #18 train in the first place? Her cyborg implants would do all the work, not her organic parts.

Questrider
Beyond Newbie

Post by Questrider » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:21 pm

Rocketman wrote:Well, the problem is how could #18 train in the first place? Her cyborg implants would do all the work, not her organic parts.
Not necessarily. I mean, she WAS able to have a daughter thus she knew how to use some of her organic parts. :lol: With the right training, per my opinion, she could in theory learn how to use both her human side and robotic side separately and she somewhat demonstrates this by having a child in the typical human fashion.
-Questrider

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:54 pm

Her cyborg implants are the responsible for her be able to keep up with regular Super Saiyans. Her human body is weak, probably around 3 or 4 battle power. She was a delinquent teenager before Dr. Gero made her into an Artificial Human.

She be able to to learn how to control her ki is just as insane as Bulma learning it and ultimately useless, since no human, specially a women, can be that strong.

I argue over at DBM about #18 be able to produce an aura. For whatever reason I was the only one to realize she can't produce one cause what make her fly in the first place is her anti-gravity device not her ki, which she doesn't have any control.

Questrider
Beyond Newbie

Post by Questrider » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:14 pm

Senzu_Bean wrote:

She be able to to learn how to control her ki is just as insane as Bulma learning it and ultimately useless, since no human, specially a women, can be that strong.
What about Videl? She learned how to use the basics of ki, so I don't see why someone like Bulma could not learn. Sure, it would probably take some time..but eventually she could be taught.
Thus, I don't see why Android 18 could not learn these abilities as well.
-Questrider

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:20 pm

Questrider wrote:
Senzu_Bean wrote:

What about Videl?
Videl is a martial artist, she was raised to fight long before, idk, something.

#18 on the contrary was a delinquent teenager with no fighting background. Like I said, as insane as Bulma learning it.
Last edited by Senzu_Bean on Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:32 pm

Also, Videl is very gifted.

Mr. Satan can be full of himself but he did have a punch stronger than 99,9% of all humans (considering than nobody but the gang seemed able to surpass his score in the punch machine) and Videl is much more gifted and stronger than him.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:39 pm

I think #18 would be able to learn to use ki, using her cyborg implants like training wheels on a bike.

And whoooaaa, dude, woman can be stronger than men. They're not all "teehee, I can't open this jar."

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:42 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:I think #18 would be able to learn to use ki, using her cyborg implants like training wheels on a bike.
Why?! This is like saying I can throw something at the speed of sound cause my gun can.
The Time Traveller wrote:And whoooaaa, dude, woman can be stronger than men. They're not all "teehee, I can't open this jar."
They can be stronger than some men. It is pretty much common sense the strongest man is stronger than the strongest woman.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:46 pm

Senzu_Bean wrote:
The Time Traveller wrote:I think #18 would be able to learn to use ki, using her cyborg implants like training wheels on a bike.
Why?! This is like saying I can throw something at the speed of sound cause my gun can.
The difference being that she has advanced technology intergrated into her body to make her stronger, plus what you said made no sense.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:49 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
Senzu_Bean wrote:
The difference being that she has advanced technology intergrated into her body to make her stronger, plus what you said made no sense.
It does! #18 isn't like Freeza after his battle with Goku, in which his cyborg parts make him stronger.

#18 isn't strong, what is strong is her cyborg parts, like the infinite energy reactor.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:53 pm

Senzu_Bean wrote: Videl is a martial artist, she was raised to fight long before, idk, something.

#18 on the contrary was a delinquent teenager with no fighting background. Like I said, as insane as Bulma learning it.
You act like people past their childhood prime can't learn a skill. Just because they have no background in martial arts doesn't mean they can't learn martial arts. I have no idea how to snowboard, but given enough time with a teacher (and a location with snow xD) I'm sure I could learn.

18 might have been a delinquent before she became a cyborg, but that doesn't mean she didn't have some martial arts skills. I'm not saying real training, but delinquents often get into fights. Her human body may not be gifted for martial arts and ki control but it can be learned, Krillin Yamcha and Videl prove this. They may have been MORE gifted, but they are from the same race and have similar potential.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)