Did Vegeta have an OLDER brother as well?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Did Vegeta have an OLDER brother as well?

Post by LeprikanGT » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:37 am

All through out Z and GT the second child always looks like one of the parents:

Goku was the 2nd child of Bardock
Goten was the second child of Goku
Bra was the 2nd child of Bulma
and [counting his 2nd form] Frieza was the 2nd child of Kind Cold

That accounts for most of everyone except for Vegeta, aside from Tarble coming WAY after most of this [from a saiyans parents non-existant apparently] Vegeta looks just like his father, so from the pattern wouldn't he be the 2nd child?

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Did Vegeta have an OLDER brother as well?

Post by Savage68 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:59 am

Coola is non-canon, and I'm 99% sure that Tarble is, as well.

Deity
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deity » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:42 pm

I don't remember hearing that Goku was Bardock's 2nd child, only that Raditz was older, which doesnt mean neither that Raditz was the older brother nor that Goku was Bardock's 2nd child

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:59 pm

Deity wrote:I don't remember hearing that Goku was Bardock's 2nd child, only that Raditz was older, which doesnt mean neither that Raditz was the older brother nor that Goku was Bardock's 2nd child
From the canon info, thats what I concluded.

And wasn't the thing with Tarble a 'special' and not a movie? I thought it went along with Bardock and the History of Trunks.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:41 pm

It seems like you're overanalyzing something that would be in the Trivia section of Wikipedia. =/
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:56 pm

I've never been to the DBZ wiki page, that stuff can be fake or made up.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:11 pm

I meant in general. Your matter-of-fact statement that the second offspring of DB characters resemble a parent doesn't really hold up when you consider:

-The story was made up as it went on.
--As an extension of this, all your examples are extremely far apart, such as Goku looking like Bardock and Goten looking like Goku. It's a nice catch, but it just doesn't seem intentional.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Gogeta 00
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta 00 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:43 pm

B wrote:I meant in general. Your matter-of-fact statement that the second offspring of DB characters resemble a parent doesn't really hold up when you consider:

-The story was made up as it went on.
--As an extension of this, all your examples are extremely far apart, such as Goku looking like Bardock and Goten looking like Goku. It's a nice catch, but it just doesn't seem intentional.
Exactly, if anything the pattern is just coincidence, or perhaps Toriyama simply had a tendency get lazy the second time around.
[url=http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=9403] 12 years, 100 memories[/url]
[Former dub fan 1996-2008]

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:14 pm

The pattern may be unintentional, but the design choices definitely are. Bardock had already received an entirely unique design from Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, and yet he was changed by Toriyama to look almost exactly like Goku...seems pointless if that's not the way he specifically wanted it.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:56 am

There aren't enough facepalms in the world for me to use right now.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.