What if... Cell absorbed TWO Android 17s?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

What if... Cell absorbed TWO Android 17s?

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:18 am

So I was reading the Piccolo vs. #17 battle the other day, then Cell arrived, and something occurred to me.

What if Cell had managed to absorb #17 in one timeline, then travelled to another timeline and absorbed ANOTHER #17 instead of #18 while in his second form? Would two #17s make him 'complete', or would nothing change?

I always see the question of "What if he absorbed #18 first" popping up, but this one I haven't seen answered yet :P
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Re: What if... Cell absorbed TWO Android 17s?

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:44 am

I never thought about this.

I'm guessing he'd gain more power from the absorption. I doubt he would gain nothing. What I don't see is another transformation taking place.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:59 am

I don't think he would have been able to, and even if he could I don't think he would have been able to evolve into his Perfect form. I see it less of a situation of "putting in two batteries of the same type" (which is what it would be if he could absorb two #17s and evolve to his Perfect form) but more of fitting all the pieces of a puzzle together to get the proper image. Even though they're mostly identical, they are still two distinct entities and therefore likely not interchangeable.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:37 am

This poses an interesting question about Cell's design. I guess it depends on how exactly you believe Cell, 18, and 17 work since it is never stated in the series.

We know 17 and 18 are outfitted with Gero's infinite energy reactors, but are the both the same make and model? We are told that 18 is weaker than 17, but is this simply because the device is constructed that way and her model can never increase the energy output to that of 17, or is it the same model with an internal method to raise or lower the output and Gero just chose for 18 to be weaker? If they are both the same make and model then I see no reason why Cell couldn't become perfect using a combination of 17/17, 17/18, or 18/18 unless the creature needs more than the mechanical side of the Jinzoningen to undergo the evolutionary process. Also, if 17 and 18 have completely different models of IERs, then I assume Cell would need one of each.

Personally I believe 17 and 18 have different model IERs, and Cell would have to absorb one of each, though order wouldn't matter of course.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:27 am

The point of absorbing both of the Androids was not only the power, but also to attain a perfect body.
I don't think that the order of absorption matters much, but in any case, Cell went from a skinny insect into a buff frog and finally to a perfect body which was efficient in battle regarding defense and offense and movement.

Anyways, I think that even though he would get both Android 17s' generators, his body wouldn't change, and thus he wouldn't be perfect.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:49 am

TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:So I was reading the Piccolo vs. #17 battle the other day, then Cell arrived, and something occurred to me.

What if Cell had managed to absorb #17 in one timeline, then travelled to another timeline and absorbed ANOTHER #17 instead of #18 while in his second form? Would two #17s make him 'complete', or would nothing change?

I always see the question of "What if he absorbed #18 first" popping up, but this one I haven't seen answered yet :P
Going by his statements when he first encounters Piccolo, both bodies are necessary for achieving his Perfect form.

Two #17's probably wouldn't cut it, since it goes against the framework of his design; it was from absorbing #18 that he was able to birth the Cell Jrs. afterall.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:08 am

When you "crunch the numbers," pardon me, Cell ends up with a lot more power in his Perfect Form than merely that of the two Androids added to himself. So as far as I can figure it, it's not so much a case of needing the Androids for their power, but needing them to attain his Perfect Form, and the power merely comes along with it.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:12 am

If #17 and #18 were completely the same, why would Gero create two such cyborgs instead of one? Only for Cell?

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:22 am

I don't think much would happen. Cell already got the 'parts' of 17 he needed to become closer to being perfect, and at that point he was strong enough to where I don't think that small of a power boost would help.

the_abberration
Regular

Post by the_abberration » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:34 am

Great theory, but I don't think absorbing two #17's would work in the same manner. As others have pointed out, it most likely had something to do with different aspects of #17 & #18.

Forgive the bad analogy but I think it boils down to (making Cell perfect), he needed "Adam & Eve" not "Adam & Steve".
1 Corinthians 13: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Except the anime. Never the anime.

"Look. I'm not allowed to hold you, but I'm sworn to protect you"-Sergeant Hatred

The Lineup: Danger Mouse

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:50 am

Cell also stated that it's in his design to specifically merge with Androids 17 & 18 to attain his perfect form, so it's not just an Android 17's strength X Android 18's strength X Cell's strength = strong power thing. He needs those two things in order to access his full power and true form. So I don't think absorbing two 17s would've given him a boost in strength but he still wouldn't be as strong as he could be in his perfect form, and absorbing the two in a different order from what he did in the show wouldn't have changed how he ended up.

Which is why Vegeta's comment about how if Cell wanted true power, he would've absorbed a Saiyan like him is so nonsensical.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:42 am

It's not a matter of certain cyborg parts from each, it's completely a matter of absorbing a shitload of power. The strength comes from the transformation itself, while a lot of energy is needed to achieve and maintain the transformations. He could feasably reach Perfect form just by absorbing people for a few months or years. But if he fought at an intensity equal to that of at the Cell Games, he'd use up his energy and revert back to weaker forms. That's why he's specficially after the androids' batteries: it's by far the easiest and fastest way to reach Perfect Form, as well as the only way to maintain it indefinitely because of their infinite power supplies.

For example, let's say the two androids' batteries put off a power of "25." Perfect Form itself has a strength of "100." If his strength ever drops below "20," he reverts to the previous form. So in that sense, it's kind of like a cross between Saiyan and Freeza transformations (which makes sense, since he's derived from their cells). He never needs to worry about dropping below 20, though, because thanks to the androids' batteries, he's incapable of dropping beneath 25. Until he rests, he won't be at 100 again, but he'll never reach 0 like normal fighters could.

So assimilating two #17s would still get him Perfect Form. The fact that #17 is stronger than #18 means the lowest he'd drop to is "30" instead of "25."
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:59 am

Dayspring wrote:It's not a matter of certain cyborg parts from each, it's completely a matter of absorbing a shitload of power. The strength comes from the transformation itself, while a lot of energy is needed to achieve and maintain the transformations. He could feasably reach Perfect form just by absorbing people for a few months or years. But if he fought at an intensity equal to that of at the Cell Games, he'd use up his energy and revert back to weaker forms. That's why he's specficially after the androids' batteries: it's by far the easiest and fastest way to reach Perfect Form, as well as the only way to maintain it indefinitely because of their infinite power supplies.

For example, let's say the two androids' batteries put off a power of "25." Perfect Form itself has a strength of "100." If his strength ever drops below "20," he reverts to the previous form. So in that sense, it's kind of like a cross between Saiyan and Freeza transformations (which makes sense, since he's derived from their cells). He never needs to worry about dropping below 20, though, because thanks to the androids' batteries, he's incapable of dropping beneath 25. Until he rests, he won't be at 100 again, but he'll never reach 0 like normal fighters could.

So assimilating two #17s would still get him Perfect Form. The fact that #17 is stronger than #18 means the lowest he'd drop to is "30" instead of "25."
I don't know if this is filler or not, but when Bulma is reading Android 17's blueprint and creating the shutdown remote, she notices the complex wiring and machinery in 17's body. I don't remember the exact quote, but she says that the machinery in 17's body is what makes it possible for Cell to be able to merge with the two androids and trigger the transformation, which indicates that he has to absorb Androids 17 & 18 to transform.

Edit: Turns out it wasn't filler. I'm gonna use a scanlation quote since I don't have my Shonen Jump issues with me:

Dr. Briefs: This is incredible. There's a lot of stuff here even I couldn't understand. It's too bad Dr. Gero didn't use his genius for good.

Bulma: He used a human base, and used mostly bio-mechanical enhancements. It looks like it might be possible to use this in some kind of cellular fusion.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:11 am

What Bulma says is that 17 and 18 are mostly human with "bio-organic components" (according to Viz, anyway) enhancing them, and that must be why Cell believes he can fuse with them. I dunno if that proves anything.

Cell says this to Piccolo:

"Human life forces aren't enough for me to complete my growth. I need to merge with two especially powerful life forms... The computer told me whom I needed to merge with... Dr. Gero's creations--androids 17 and 18!"

I assume this is mostly where Dayspring's theory comes from. It seems to fit with the comment, but you could probably interpret it a different way. For instance: "Absorbing energy isn't enough. I have to merge with the bodies of these two powerful beings."
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Wobbuffet
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Wobbuffet » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:42 pm

I think nothing would happen.
It would be like having two cartriges of Pokémon Red and trying to complete the Pokédex.
Sorry, I can't speak English very well, but I'm trying my best.
This is My Anime List.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:37 pm

Would it be possible for Cell to die of a system overload or something? :lol: Like if you have too many programs working on your PC at the same time it causes it to go slower and eventually crashes.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.