English subs for Japanese anime

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nazi Cola
Advanced Regular

English subs for Japanese anime

Post by Nazi Cola » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:52 pm

I'm just wondering, and if this goes in General Discussion I apologize, but how accurate would you say the English subs are when watching the original version? More accurate than Viz? Less accurate? Shouldn't be relied on in discussions?
CatouttaHell wrote:I guess he's just impossibly powerful and he now gets thrills from letting things go as much to hell as possible before busting out his ultimate power and ending the villain or some shit.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: English subs for Japanese anime

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:59 pm

For the most part, entirely trustworthy. Steve Simmons, who did Z and GT, was a big part of the fandom community (a member of the toriyama.org fansite if I recalll) when FUNimation hired him. Definitely more trustworthy than Viz. Viz isn't (always) bad, but it's obvious they were going more the "adaptation" route than the "translation" route. The original DB series was done by a man named Clive Mandelin, more commonly known on the internet as Mato and probably most famous for doing the translation for the English fan version of the game Mother 3. I find his subs satisfactory as well, although something about it seems a bit off compared to Simmons. I think that was just earlier work for him, but overall I think it's fine. The only problem is, in the translator switch, you'll get a few inconsistencies, as they created different standards for certain things, different spellings, etc.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:55 pm

Clyde Mandelin, but yeah.

Something notable about Mandelin's work is his proficient use of the word 'shit', something Daimao seems to shy away from.

Well, that and 'Mega Kamehameha'.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:56 pm

Blah. Thanks. I should know that. I do know that, as I'm a big fan of the Mother 3 Fan Translation. I just made a boo-boo.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:53 pm

The somewhat arbitrary ranking I always like to give is that Viz's translation is a 7/10 and the Simmons subtitles are a 9/10. The idea being that Viz isn't inaccurate by any means, but the subtitles are a significant step up, although no translation is ever going to be completely perfect. These rankings are strictly in terms of faithfulness to the original, mind you. Simmons' subtitles are unarguably more accurate than Viz's translation, but which translation is "better" is subjective. As has been said, Viz leans a lot more heavily towards adapting dialogue to sound as natural as possible in English, the result being that they lose some accuracy in the process. But if you aren't as hung up on accuracy and value natural-sounding dialogue more, Viz is for you. Of course then there's stuff like Viz's censorship issues and how they sometimes make seemingly pointless changes, but whatever.

Oh yeah, keep in mind that all Funi DB DVDs have two subtitle tracks, one for the dub, and one for the Japanese audio. The subtitles for the dub track are (logically enough) simply dubtitles and therefore as inaccurate as the dub.
Last edited by Herms on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Savage68 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:57 pm

Herms wrote:The somewhat arbitrary ranking I always like to give is that Viz's translation is a 7/10 and the Simmons subtitles are a 9/10.
He lost a point for "ReaCoom," didn't he? :( :lol:

Herms

Post by Herms » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:18 pm

Savage68 wrote:He lost a point for "ReaCoom," didn't he? :( :lol:
Nah, I think that's a bit odd but wouldn't consider it inaccurate. By saying that Simmons' subtitles are "only" 9/10, I simply mean that there's always going to be some intricacies in the original that just aren't quite capable of being conveyed by a translation. And then there's little mistakes that invariably turn up every now and then in a translation of a series as long as DB ("So Satan defeated Satan huh?", stuff like that). Basically, the idea is that 9/10 is as accurate as you could justifiably expect a translation to be.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:26 pm

Herms wrote:Oh yeah, keep in mind that all Funi DB DVDs have two subtitle tracks, one for the dub, and one for the Japanese audio. The subtitles for the dub track are (logically enough) simply dubtitles and therefore as inaccurate as the dub.
Actually, as far back as the Orange Bricks they stopped doing dubtitle tracks.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:00 am

JulieYBM wrote:
Herms wrote:Oh yeah, keep in mind that all Funi DB DVDs have two subtitle tracks, one for the dub, and one for the Japanese audio. The subtitles for the dub track are (logically enough) simply dubtitles and therefore as inaccurate as the dub.
Actually, as far back as the Orange Bricks they stopped doing dubtitle tracks.
They stopped including dubtitles in 2005 (except for movies 11-13, as far as I can tell).
-Joey

Herms

Post by Herms » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:41 am

Huh, well OK then. Most of my DVDs are still the original Funi singles, so I guess I'm out of touch.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:42 am

Thought this thread might be handy to ask a little Daimao-related question: how many assistants/other translators were there for the DB stuff he did? I always see him credited as "Head Translator" on the DVDs, and was wondering if he had any help (which I imagine would be the case for a series of its length) and how much they contribute to the translation.

Hey, maybe the man himself could even chime in and let us all know...

I know you're there, Simmons. :twisted:
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:06 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:The only problem is, in the translator switch, you'll get a few inconsistencies, as they created different standards for certain things, different spellings, etc.
Yeah, one thing I noticed is how they romanise attack names. For example, the Taiyô-ken is referred to as the "Taiyo-ken" in Simmons' subs, whereas in episodes subbed by Mandelin it's referred as the "Taiyou-ken". They're both valid, mind you, but it's just not 100% consistent.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:15 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:Thought this thread might be handy to ask a little Daimao-related question: how many assistants/other translators were there for the DB stuff he did? I always see him credited as "Head Translator" on the DVDs, and was wondering if he had any help (which I imagine would be the case for a series of its length) and how much they contribute to the translation.

Hey, maybe the man himself could even chime in and let us all know...
If I had any help, I'm unaware of it. That is, short of someone going through afterward and standardizing everything after it was submitted (going through and changing "Dragonballs" to "Dragon Balls," for example).

Oh, but I didn't translate any of the credits. (What few credits I did translate never made it to release.)

Which DVDs say "Head Translator" on them?

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:57 pm

Daimao wrote:Which DVDs say "Head Translator" on them?
I seem to recall that most of the movies have you credited as that on the English Funimation credits (as opposed to the raw Japanese ones), the ones that credit Gen Fukunaga, scriptwriters, ADR directors etc., and around three members of the Japanese crew. :P

I'm not sure on that though, so if someone could provide a screencap then that would be just smashing, since I kinda sold those in the Great Dragon Box Money Drive™.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:57 am

Daimao wrote:Oh, but I didn't translate any of the credits. (What few credits I did translate never made it to release.)
That would explain why the credits list Chiho Kiyooka as Chiho Kikuchi.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."