Which episode did Bruce Faulconer start with?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ssjcj
Beyond Newbie

Which episode did Bruce Faulconer start with?

Post by ssjcj » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:48 pm

This is just to settle an argument with my friend. I was wondering which episode Faulconer began with. (I am meaning the original episode count not the edited Funimation version.)

caejones
I Live Here

Re: Which episode did Bruce Faulconer start with?

Post by caejones » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:07 pm

Episode 66, I believe.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Savage68 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:11 pm

I just checked. His work starts on Episode 68.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:00 pm

Wouldn't it be 67 1/2? Or did they do away with that episode's score completely when they cut the episodes back together the way they originally were?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Savage68 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:03 pm

It looks like they did. The only piece of music I can identify further along in Episode 67 is Johnson's "Ginyu Force Theme" (no idea if that has a proper title or not...), but yeah, I can't hear any sign of Faulconer at all, 'till the next episode.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:54 pm

Well, so much for it claiming to be the "brodcast track" I guess... But at any rate, I guess this answers the question.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:39 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Well, so much for it claiming to be the "brodcast track" I guess... But at any rate, I guess this answers the question.
Well actually, it was broadcast that way when Cartoon Network was airing the "Ultimate Uncut" edition in 2005. So, it being the "broadcast track" is technically accurate. It may not have been during the original American run, but still.
-Joey

GreggMays64
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GreggMays64 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:25 pm

Nathan Johnson did the first 67 episodes. Bruce Faulconer did all of the episodes from 68 to 291. In the edited version of episode 68, spliced scenes from episode 67.

mister yummy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mister yummy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:35 am

I thought Shuki Levy did the music for English episodes 1-53, and Faulconer started on English Episode 54. (corresponding, of course, to whatever the origional episode numbers were, mentioned higher in the topic). I've never even heard of Nathan Johnson.

BTW, did Funimation even have legal right to Rock the Dragon for Season 3?

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:01 am

I the studio we used the Japanese numberings (American #s used to be different). The first tape in the archive was always #68.
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:11 am

mister yummy wrote:I thought Shuki Levy did the music for English episodes 1-53, and Faulconer started on English Episode 54. (corresponding, of course, to whatever the origional episode numbers were, mentioned higher in the topic). I've never even heard of Nathan Johnson.

BTW, did Funimation even have legal right to Rock the Dragon for Season 3?
Shuki Levy did the score in the original dub, but that's been replaced by the uncut redub with the FUNimation cast, which is where Nathan Johnson did the score.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

GreggMays64
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GreggMays64 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:48 am

Let me organize it for you.

Original FUNimation
Dragon Ball Z Episodes 1-67 (Now 53 episodes due to the amount of scenes cut out) (Edited Only) Shuki Levy

FUNimation
Dragon Ball Z Episodes 1-67 (Uncut Only) Nathan Johnson, Episodes 68-291 Bruce Faulconer (Uncut, but has an edited version)

Westwood Media
Dragon Ball Z Episodes 123-291 (Edited Only)

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:28 pm

cRookie_Monster wrote:I the studio we used the Japanese numberings (American #s used to be different). The first tape in the archive was always #68.
How would that have been possible, though, and why would that have been logical at the beginning of that season when the English and Japanese episodes didn't directly correspond with one another? And if #68 was the first tape in the archive, what happened to the music cues from the latter part of #67?

GreggMays64
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GreggMays64 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:48 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
cRookie_Monster wrote:I the studio we used the Japanese numberings (American #s used to be different). The first tape in the archive was always #68.
How would that have been possible, though, and why would that have been logical at the beginning of that season when the English and Japanese episodes didn't directly correspond with one another? And if #68 was the first tape in the archive, what happened to the music cues from the latter part of #67?
The latter part of #67 was only spliced with #68 in the edited broadcast version, just like how Mr.Popo is only blue in the edited version of the English dub of Dragon Ball Kai (atleast in Toonzai). Also, like I said, Nathan Johnson did the score for everything up to #67.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:17 pm

No, that's not how it worked. Even in the uncut version, what corresponds to the latter half of 67 had Faulconer music up until the first two seaons were redubbed six years later. The "uncut" tapes released at that point were still spliced together and didn't correspond to the Japanese numbers. The uncut DVDs released in 2000 remedied it by making an extra long episode 54 (comprised of part of 67 and all of 68, if I remember correctly) so that the rest of the Ginyu and Freeza discs could use alternate angles. But the point is, from 1999 until 2005, the second part of episode 67 was scored with Faulconer music.

But that's not even my point. Even if it had just been the TV broadcast version, there was still Faulconer music used in the second part of episode 67, so I was just asking how it was feasible for them to 1.) use the Japanese numbering when, at the time they started, the episodes didn't even entirely properly correspond until around episode 72 and then got out of sync again at 79 (although the latter's understandable since in that case they were only out of sync for the broadcast version) and 2.) start their numbering at 68 when they did score part of 67.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:22 am

This page on DBZ Uncensored notes that the music skips when a scene is cut, implying that the soundtrack was composed for the uncut versions only. So perhaps for the TV versions, FUNimation just spliced footage until everything synced up again? That only leaves the question of what happened with the last part of 67 being tacked onto 68 on both DVD and TV.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock: