Goku race?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Namekjin
Beyond Newbie

Goku race?

Post by Namekjin » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:46 pm

I read somewhere that Akira Toriyama did not plan on making Goku a Saiyan but just a Extraordinary boy with a tail. Is any of this true?

P.S i did not know what to name this topic...
"This is gonna be easier than coloring inside the lines!" - Vegeta
"OVER 9000!" - Vegeta
"YOU'LL NEVER ESCAPE....MY WRATH!!!" - Vegeta
Nobody wrote : The Season Sets are superior in every way!!!

Kaboom

Re: Goku race?

Post by Kaboom » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:53 pm

This should be common knowledge, but there was a whole 15 volumes' worth of Dragon Ball around before the word "Saiyan" (or "Saiya-jin," if you wanna get technical) was ever even uttered. At its very earliest, Dragon Ball was just a big parody of the ol' Journey to the West fairy tale, with Goku serving the role equivalent to Sun Wukong, the monkey king. So in the beginning, he was only ever meant to be a super-strong monkey-boy. His eventually-revealed alien ancestry was a much later idea.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Namekjin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namekjin » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:06 pm

Oh well ok. :lol: I knew it was based on Journey to the West though...at least...
"This is gonna be easier than coloring inside the lines!" - Vegeta
"OVER 9000!" - Vegeta
"YOU'LL NEVER ESCAPE....MY WRATH!!!" - Vegeta
Nobody wrote : The Season Sets are superior in every way!!!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:51 pm

Yeah, Toriyama talks about not thinking up Goku's alien origins until well into the series a few times, such as his Daizenshuu 4 interview:
Q:Speaking of Piccolo, did you think from the beginning of his background as a Namekian alien?
A: Of course, I didn't think that at all (laughs). The Saiyans were like that as well. When I thought up Goku's tail and the Oozaru, I didn't think Goku was an alien or anything. Piccolo either. Because I thought that up when Kami-sama came out.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

cpd12589
Beyond Newbie

Post by cpd12589 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:45 pm

Yeah it's pretty cool to see how things came together and ended up being how they are today. I think if AT had the idea of Goku being a Saiyan and Piccolo a Namekian from the beginning of Dragon Ball then Dragon Ball wouldn't have been as great as it was. Idk I just like DB how it focuses on Goku and his Earthly adventures and not all over the universe and what not.

Terra-jin
Regular

Post by Terra-jin » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:11 am

Funny thing is, during the aftermath of one of little Goku's transformations, Oolong wonders if Goku is some kind of space alien :)
It's all GOOD

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:15 pm

Terra-jin wrote:Funny thing is, during the aftermath of one of little Goku's transformations, Oolong wonders if Goku is some kind of space alien :)
EPIC FORESHADOWING
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.