The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Adamant
I Live Here

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Adamant » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:14 am

ekrolo2 wrote:Is Ox-King really a good translation of Gyūmaō or?
"Ox" is a fine translation of Gyū and "King" is a fine translation of "ō", but it leaves out the "ma" that means demon.

For what it's worth, I believe Anthony C. Yu's translation of Journey to the West, which is considered the de facto best translation, calls him the "Bull Demon King".
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:11 pm

Adamant wrote:
Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote:
"Take a look at Point 882901...!! I am receiving two responses there I am certain are Namekians... There is also one more response close to that point..."
It's interesting that Viz threw the word "chi" in there when they could have gotten away with using just the more general term "readings".

Freeza: "Look at point 882941...!! There are two chi readings that are unmistakably Namekian... And a third reading rapidly approaching that point..."

If I could ask another question about this passage: Does the last sentence give any indication that the third point was moving towards the other two, or does it just give a relative location? If it's the latter, I just think it's kind of funny that Viz would go out of their way to really spell it out for the reader.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:17 pm

Thank you, Adamant.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:19 pm

Tyro wrote: It's interesting that Viz threw the word "chi" in there when they could have gotten away with using just the more general term "readings".
"Readings" is a fine translation too.
Tyro wrote:If I could ask another question about this passage: Does the last sentence give any indication that the third point was moving towards the other two, or does it just give a relative location? If it's the latter, I just think it's kind of funny that Viz would go out of their way to really spell it out for the reader.
Uh, yeah, crap. I fucked up the translation there. The last line should be "There is also one more response approaching that point..."

Nothing about it's speed, though.

But yeah, remove the words "chi" and "rapidly" from the Viz translation and you have a pretty spot on, great English translation.

"Look at point 8829401...!! There are two readings that are unmistakably Namekian... And a third reading approaching that point..."
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:54 pm

Adamant wrote:
Tyro wrote: It's interesting that Viz threw the word "chi" in there when they could have gotten away with using just the more general term "readings".
"Readings" is a fine translation too.
Right, I agree, I just thought it worth noting that they decided to throw it in at all. But don't Freeza and his men just use "battle power"? Maybe saying "ki" would be out of place for his character.
Adamant wrote:Uh, yeah, crap. I fucked up the translation there. The last line should be "There is also one more response approaching that point..."
Thanks. Glad to know the little details are right.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:06 pm

Tyro wrote: Right, I agree, I just thought it worth noting that they decided to throw it in at all. But don't Freeza and his men just use "battle power"? Maybe saying "ki" would be out of place for his character.
They do, so that's some Viz writer trying to add a bit extra detail and not paying attention to what words he should and shouldn't use.

Didn't the Funi Kai dub talk about the genderless Dende's equally genderless "brothers and sisters" too? Same thing.

TheUniverse

Post by TheUniverse » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:31 pm

Can some one translate the part about Snake Way for me.

Teen GohanZ

Post by Teen GohanZ » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:37 pm

I was looking through some interviews when I noticed that Toriyama said "Incidentally, It’s not that their hairstyle never changes; Nappa went bald, after all.". I looked up the quote in Viz where Vegeta explains Saiyan hair and it simply says Saiyan hair does not grow, which is consistent with Toriyama's statement.

Can someone confirm if he used that same explanation in Japanese, or if he actually said it doesn't change at all? (Bottom right panel)

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:49 pm

Teen GohanZ wrote:Can someone confirm if he used that same explanation in Japanese, or if he actually said it doesn't change at all? (Bottom right panel)
純粋なサイヤ人は 頭髪が 生後から不気味に変化したりはしない···
"A pure Saiyan's hair stays the same as after we're born, and does not go through any weird changes".

Viz went with:
"Pure-blooded Saiyans have thankfully been spared the grotesquery of "hair growth".
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Teen GohanZ

Post by Teen GohanZ » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:55 pm

Ajay wrote:
Teen GohanZ wrote:Can someone confirm if he used that same explanation in Japanese, or if he actually said it doesn't change at all? (Bottom right panel)
純粋なサイヤ人は 頭髪が 生後から不気味に変化したりはしない···
"A pure Saiyan's hair stays the same as after we're born, and does not go through any weird changes".

Viz went with:
"Pure-blooded Saiyans have thankfully been spared the grotesquery of "hair growth".
Thank you. It would seem Toriyama's quote does contradict what Vegeta says. I guess it could just be chalked up to Vegeta being mistaken...

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:48 pm

That, or going bald isn't considered a weird change to saiyans

ahill1
Regular

Post by ahill1 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:02 pm

Someone could say me where can I read the Dragon Ball manga with accurate translations? (I'd buy Viz but his translations are not that accurate).

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:07 pm

ahill1 wrote:Someone could say me where can I read the Dragon Ball manga with accurate translations? (I'd buy Viz but his translations are not that accurate).
Viz is the only official, legal English release of the manga. We do not discuss illegal fan scanslations here.

If you can read other languages, maybe someone can point you to a satisfactory non-English release. I think I've heard the French or Spanish kanzenban are pretty good.
-Rachel

TheMerchant30

Post by TheMerchant30 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:23 pm

Can we ask for translations on different series, or just Dragonball? If the former I would like this scan to be translated please:

http://imgur.com/ZyTFC86

If not, I was wondering about this specific line from Dragonball GT:

邪悪龍 他の星に現れた。 その星 たちまち滅ぼされその周りの銀河 全 滅びたという。

For the first scan, I tried to translate it myself but the wording came out strange. I would like to know if Sensui when he said he was stressing something either meant that releasing his power stresses him out or stresses the world he's on, I would also like to know if the "Human World" refers to just Earth or literally the entire Universe.

For the second line, i would like to know if in Popo's context, he was referring to the destruction of more than one Galaxy.

ahill1
Regular

Post by ahill1 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:22 pm

TripleRach wrote:
ahill1 wrote:Someone could say me where can I read the Dragon Ball manga with accurate translations? (I'd buy Viz but his translations are not that accurate).
Viz is the only official, legal English release of the manga. We do not discuss illegal fan scanslations here.

If you can read other languages, maybe someone can point you to a satisfactory non-English release. I think I've heard the French or Spanish kanzenban are pretty good.
I know Spanish. Do you know where can I find it? Is the translations accurate?

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:19 pm

Have a quick question about Cell's timeline. Is Cell's line specific enough that we could assume the Trunks he was talking about was the one who dealt with Freeza and King Cold? Or is it just a general one? I guess this would answer if Gero's computer likely had a brief chance to take Trunks' cells when he fought Freeza, but ultimately decided not to. The line in question:
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:42 pm

So, the DB Wiki apparently calls Broly's "restrained Super Saiyan" form "Super Saiyan Type-C." The source is listed as the "Supplemental Daizenshuu." No page number, or actual legitimate citation, of course.

Can anyone verify if this is actually a thing?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Analytic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytic » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:51 pm

Herms wrote:Speaking of the daizenshuu, this brings up the minor controversy of whether the term “Legendary Super Saiyan” refers to Broli as a whole or to his specific ultra-beefy form. The simple version is that Daizenshuu 6 and 7 use “Legendary Super Saiyan” as a name for his unique transformation, and this has been adopted in the modern fighting games, while DBZ movie 8 has people use the phrase to refer to Broli in general. However, the truth is a bit more complicated, and in fact both the movie and the guidebooks use the term in both ways. Sort of. In DBZ movie 8, after Broli breaks Paragus’ restraining device, transforms into his incredibly muscular form, and starts beating that tar out of everyone, Paragus tells Vegeta “now that Broli has gotten out of my control, and become the Legendary Saiyan, my plan to rule all the universe together with Broli-everything has come to an end.” OK, so he says “Legendary Saiyan” and not “Legendary Super Saiyan”, but I think this must either be a goof or just them trying to vary the terminology a little after having tossed around the phrase “Legendary Super Saiyan” a million times by this point. Anyway, Paragus says that Broli has only now become the Legendary (Super) Saiyan after breaking free from his restraints, making it sound more like something Broli can turn into rather than something he fully is at all times. On the flipside, while Daizenshuu 6 and 7 use “Legendary Super Saiyan” as a name for that particular form, they also refer to Broli in general as the “Legendary Super Saiyan” as well. Broli’s Daizenshuu 7 bio, for instance, begins by calling him the Legendary Super Saiyan, while also having pictures of Broli’s various forms, labeled as “normal”, “Super Saiyan”, and “Legendary Super Saiyan”. It’s also worth noting that Daizenshuu 6’s animation model gallery labels Broli’s huge form as “Super Saiyan Grade Two”, in contrast to his blue-haired “Super Saiyan Grade One” form (this naming scheme mirrors guidebook name for Super Vegeta’s ultra-buff form). Meanwhile, the third TV animation daizenshuu’s Super Saiyan chart labels Broli’s huge form as Type-B, with Type-A being his blue-haired form, and Type-C being his gold-haired skinny form seen in DBZ movie 10.
It appears that Broly's restrained Super Saiyan form is actually "Type-A", not "Type-C".

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:12 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:So, the DB Wiki apparently calls Broly's "restrained Super Saiyan" form "Super Saiyan Type-C." The source is listed as the "Supplemental Daizenshuu." No page number, or actual legitimate citation, of course.

Can anyone verify if this is actually a thing?
Herms translated this:
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:43 pm

Can we ask for spanish translations as well?