The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:25 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Wait, so it's a different thing from Dragon Ball Heroes: Rookie Charisma Mission - Episode 0?!
It's a sequel.

I'll give it one more chapter before I force myself to start cataloguing it.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:23 am

Could someone translate these pages? They weren't exactly adapted to the anime, so I'm curious about what they say.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:08 pm

... At least describe what is going on? Do the Plantians just thank Bardock? What does Bardock says to them? What does is he saying when he remembers his team? What does the narrator say in all these points?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

gojirason

Post by gojirason » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:19 pm

Hey, bit of an odd request...
I was going through the Daizenshuu 7 Human Racial Dictionary in both the raw (though not a hard copy) and the translated version, and I came across something I kind of want confirmation on.
Page 110, Majin Buu entry. For those without a hard copy (and what I was essentially forced to use)
This is how it was translated it in the past:
He killed the North and West Kaioshin, absorbed the South Kaioshin, and then when he took in the gentle heart of the Dai Kaioshin, his ferociousness and power were somewhat weakened.
But that doesn't quite match up with my (admittedly limited but growing) knowledge of Japanese. Unless there's something I'm not understanding about it the use of "さらに - sarani", shouldn't it mean along the lines of "he was weakened further"? My understanding of "さらに" is, well to use another person's words:
さらに really has a feeling of "even more so" or "more and more," "furthermore," etc., such as 「さらにもう一度」 (yet once more), 「さらに一歩踏み出す」 (take another step forward), 「さらに多くの人を雇う」 (hire still more people), 「さらによくする」 (make <something> even better), 「悲劇的な事故が、家族をさらに結束させた。」 (The tragic accident bound the family closer together.)
It really has a sense of building on something that happened previously and making it even more so, or that the degree of something is increasing.
Basically, it should be building on the previous subject "even more so" and the verb in the sentence is "to weaken" so shouldn't/couldn't it be that "Dai Kaioshin's mild heart weakned his power and heinous behavior even further", or something along those lines?

Doesn't it also sort of imply that "[He] absorbed South Kaioshin" and (paraphrased) "His power and heinous behavior was weakened by Dai Kaioshin's mild heart" have similar implications? I would imagine if the implication suddenly changed the conjunction used would be something like "でも - demo" wouldn't it?

Also, "and then when he" is also paraphrased and not actually part of the original sentence as far as I can tell?

(I assume the kanji before "weaken" is the "somewhat" from the original translation, but it's not clear enough for me to make it out so I didn't include it in my paraphrasing.)

Some confirmation or explanation of why I'm wrong would be greatly appreciated. If it's not too much trouble, could someone also confirm whether Chozenshu says the exact same thing or not? I imagine it does.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:30 pm

gojirason wrote:But that doesn't quite match up with my (admittedly limited but growing) knowledge of Japanese. Unless there's something I'm not understanding about it the use of "さらに - sarani", shouldn't it mean along the lines of "he was weakened further"?
さらに is being used as a conjunction there: "Boo did X, Y, and furthermore he did Z", with X being killing the North and West Kaioshins, Y being absorbing the South Kaioshin, and Z being absorbing the Dai-Kaioshin's gentle heart and his power/viciousness weakening. If さらに were being used to modify 弱まった, then it'd be there by it: さらに若干弱まった
If it's not too much trouble, could someone also confirm whether Chozenshu says the exact same thing or not? I imagine it does.
Yeah, Chouzenshuu 4 says the same thing.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

gojirason

Post by gojirason » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:57 pm

Herms wrote:
gojirason wrote:But that doesn't quite match up with my (admittedly limited but growing) knowledge of Japanese. Unless there's something I'm not understanding about it the use of "さらに - sarani", shouldn't it mean along the lines of "he was weakened further"?
さらに is being used as a conjunction there: "Boo did X, Y, and furthermore he did Z", with X being killing the North and West Kaioshins, Y being absorbing the South Kaioshin, and Z being absorbing the Dai-Kaioshin's gentle heart and his power/viciousness weakening. If さらに were being used to modify 弱まった, then it'd be there by it: さらに若干弱まった
If it's not too much trouble, could someone also confirm whether Chozenshu says the exact same thing or not? I imagine it does.
Yeah, Chouzenshuu 4 says the same thing.
Thank you very much.

macho_man
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by macho_man » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:31 pm

Still no literal translation for this? I need help for a scanlation... :(

kuartus4
Beyond Newbie

Post by kuartus4 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:20 pm

What does Vegetto say here in the upper right corner? Thanks

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:48 pm

kuartus4 wrote:What does Vegetto say here in the upper right corner? Thanks
Rough-ish:
"What truly matters is comprehending the strength and movement of ki. You're unable to keep up with my movements because you use your eyes to follow me, you dumb shit."
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:53 pm

It's already in Herms' Strength Checker:

Chapter: 504 (DBZ 310), P13.1
Context: Boo surrounds himself in smoke, but Vegetto can still beat up on him anyway
Vegetto: “The important thing is to grasp ki strength and movement. You track me with your eyes, so you can’t follow my movements.”
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:16 am

macho_man wrote:Still no literal translation for this? I need help for a scanlation... :(
DBAF4’s Continuation, Rough Draft

Plantian: “Wait, King Vegeta! Harming the Tsufru race is supposed to be forbidden!!
King Vegeta: “That agreement’s 200 years old…It’s no longer valid.”
King Tsufru: “Damn it! That’s why I said coexisting with the Saiyans was impossible!”
Plantian: “But…There’s the legend of the golden warrior calling himself a ‘Saiyan’, who appeared and protected the Plantians when Planet Plant was on the verge of destruction! That’s why…that’s why we accepted the Saiyan migration 200 years ago…!!”
King Vegeta: “Saiyans all have black hair. Too bad! You’ve got us mixed up with someone else.”
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

macho_man
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by macho_man » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:21 am

Awesome! Really really many thanks! I ask you more than a lot if I get translated by you also this sketch from toyble? Battle Of Gods, Whis, Birus and Luud... :?

Super Vegetto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Super Vegetto » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:09 pm

Piccolo says ?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:14 pm

Super Vegetto wrote:Piccolo says ?
I'm no official translator (I can't even read kanji to begin with anyway), but if I remember the scene correctly enough in the anime, it's pretty much just along the vein of "T-This...is Gohan? No way...he's changed..."
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:01 pm

I don't have scans to post or anything, obviously, but I was hoping that someone with access to Battle of Gods who knows Japanese could lay out the specifics of two lines from the movie. Both are from Goku's rematch with Beerus:

1) When Goku has first achieved Super Saiyan God (I believe it's after his first little warmup round with Beerus), there's a stand-out line where Goku says that his new power is unbelievable, or he never knew there was power like this, or that he couldn't have reached it on his own... I don't know if different translations are all saying different things, or if there's actually two parts to the line, or what.

2) Piccolo's remark about Goku and Beerus fighting, where he says that it's almost as if Goku's receiving training from Beerus. Somebody has claimed he says something different in the extended cut. Is this true, or is it the fault of whatever subtitles they're watching?
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:10 pm

Kaboom wrote:2) Piccolo's remark about Goku and Beerus fighting, where he says that it's almost as if Goku's receiving training from Beerus. Somebody has claimed he says something different in the extended cut. Is this true, or is it the fault of whatever subtitles they're watching?
Now, I don't speak Japanese, but I watched the side by side and there was nothing extended in Piccolo's dialogue in that particular scene, so maybe he says something later...
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu May 01, 2014 5:42 am

Kaboom wrote:I don't have scans to post or anything, obviously, but I was hoping that someone with access to Battle of Gods who knows Japanese could lay out the specifics of two lines from the movie. Both are from Goku's rematch with Beerus:

1) When Goku has first achieved Super Saiyan God (I believe it's after his first little warmup round with Beerus), there's a stand-out line where Goku says that his new power is unbelievable, or he never knew there was power like this, or that he couldn't have reached it on his own... I don't know if different translations are all saying different things, or if there's actually two parts to the line, or what.
According to Herms, this is what he says:
Herms wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:For example, I've checked various fan subs, and I usually see God Goku saying that he couldn't reach that realm on his own, not that he never knew that there was a realm like this.
He says both of those things back-to-back. The first bit's this:

こんな世界があったなんてよ
kon'na sekai ga atta nante yo

Which is a bit hard to translate literally, but he's expressing surprise that there could be a "world" like this (ie like Super Saiyan God). Then he says that it's a "world" he couldn't reach on his own.

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Fri May 02, 2014 3:50 pm

Recent Toriyama Tidbits about Boo:

Julian and Jake recently translated one passage about Boo to say he existed "since time immemorial."

Now, in the US that phrase is most often used in our legal system as the modern equivalent to "time whereof the memory of man runneth not to the contrary." Basically, standing for the proposition that because something has been a long held tradition or practice, when said action is challenged, that action should have the force of law or at least legal protection unless it violates other constitutional guarantees. In other words, it implies order before order was recorded.

Long story short, is there some legal implication that we are supposed to glean from this meaning; that the universe (even with Boo) has always been ordered ????

OR

Am I reading way too into the translation; and it has no legal undertones, and simply has the more lofty literary meaning (which is really a more literal translation for all intents and purposes) to mean "something so old it extends beyond memory or record"?
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri May 02, 2014 3:52 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Image

Could someone translate these pages? They weren't exactly adapted to the anime, so I'm curious about what they say.
Could someone at least tell me what is said in the panel with Bardock's team?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri May 02, 2014 4:16 pm

With the new Majin Buu Arc information today, it reminded me that Heroes named one of the Daizenshu's techniques for Babidi beyond just a description. So I'm curious what the first half of the name means, as the latter half is obvious...

ビリビリの魔術
Biribiri no Majutsu
????? Sorcery

Also to stick with the ???? no Majutsu theme, what's a good roundabout way of saying telepathy...without saying telepathy? Maybe something like "thought transfer" or "mind connection"?
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)