The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:18 pm

When Buu says "he", does he know Vegeta's gender? Or is it just a general statement?

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:29 pm

Herms wrote:In addition to what FatNagger already said, it's worth noting that in the original folklore, genie/djinn were basically demons, or spirits
That's very true; I wish I thought to mention that.
Herms wrote:You'll have to be a bit more specific than that. What exactly do you not understand?
He wants confirmation from you directly that Buu doesn't mention gender.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:28 pm

SSJ2FutureGohan wrote:When Buu says "he", does he know Vegeta's gender? Or is it just a general statement?
He just refers to another "human with large power" turning up, and doesn't specifically refer to gender. The last sentence doesn't have any actual pronouns in Japanese (apart from Boo referring to himself as watashi); super-literally it's just "but naturally no match for me, even if merged".
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:35 pm

kuartus4 wrote:Can someone tell me what these say? Thanks.
First one is:
ほ··· ほんとだ···
I- It's true... (Replying to Tenshinhan)

エネルギーを吸い取られてしまうというのは ···オ ···オレの勘ちがいか······!?
Basically: Maybe I was wrong about the idea that they siphon off energy.

す··· すげえ!!
A- Awesome!!
Second one is:
なあに
Literally "what", but in this case it's more
like a reaction to Goku's transformation.

ただ光っているだけですよ
He is only glowing. (だけ, only, just, merely)

kuartus4
Beyond Newbie

Post by kuartus4 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:18 pm

Thanks! Can you tell me what Goku is saying here?

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:42 pm

うほ〜〜〜〜っ!!!
Uhoooooo!

吸われる〜〜〜〜っ!!!
(I am being) inhaled/sucked in!

負けるもんか〜〜〜〜〜!!!
(You think I'm gonna) give in/succumb/surrender?!

Bando
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bando » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:23 am

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone who has access to Daizenshuu 7 could better explain what this means exactly?

宇宙
The Universe
The endless, expansive space wrapped around every celestial body that exists in the Living World. Along with the "Demon Realm," it is a single, large world in the Living World. In the world of Dragon Ball, the universe is located beneath the World Beyond, and it is hermetically sealed by a barrier that is engraved with a strange design. Within the universe, there are "nebulae" composed of innumerable stars, and there are "galaxies" composed of innumerable nebulae. There is a ruling Kami for each galaxy. Earth resides in the Solar System, a galactic nebula on the outskirts of the North Galaxy.

http://magikarp46.com/dragonball/guideb ... ldview.php

My two questions are:

1. A ruling Kami for each Galaxy? Is it talking about the Kaio?
2. The Solar System is a "galactic" nebula... on the outskirts of the North Galaxy? -scratches head-

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:50 am

Here's the original text, for reference:
宇宙の中には、無数の星が集まった『星雲』があり、星雲が無数に集まってできた『銀河』がある。
各銀河には、それぞれ担当の神がついている。 地球は北銀河のはずれにある銀河星雲、太陽系に属している。
Bando wrote: 1. A ruling Kami for each Galaxy? Is it talking about the Kaio?
Yes. That translation definitely should've gone with the word "god" rather than the word "kami" there (also that entry could've definitely benefitted from actually mentioning that these gods are called "Kai-ou").
Bando wrote:2. The Solar System is a "galactic" nebula... on the outskirts of the North Galaxy? -scratches head-
It's worded a bit more unclear than it should've been, Google gives me various discussions between Japanese fans not being entirely sure about what that line means either. This bluescorpionknight819 guy says it probably just means "Earth is located in a solar system in a nebula at the outskirt of the Northern Galaxy", though, based on how dictionaries tend to word things. The lack of brackets around the word "solar system" seems to support that, at the very least.

The fact that the word "galaxy" has a completely different meaning in the Dragon Ball world than it does in the real world (meaning that they use the word "nebula" to mean roughly the same as what we use the word "galaxy" for) doesn't really help matters.

Further input would be nice though. My Japanese is absolutely not all that good.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:39 am

Well I don't want to get too involved, since I plan to redo that page in the near future anyway. (Or so I hope.)

But that entry was always odd, including the way it uses 星雲 (nebula) and 銀河 (galaxy). Looking at it now however, I suddenly wonder if they were using "nebula" as a synonym for "planetary system." 星 (star) is also a generic term in Japanese for all astronomical bodies, including planets. And the Solar System absolutely is a planetary system made of numerous astronomical bodies.
-Rachel

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:05 pm

I had a question about these lines from the Strength Checker.
Chapter: 393 (DBZ 199), P13.3
Reporter: “That super genius of grappling, our very own Mister Satan, has just decided to enter the Cell Games!”

Chapter: 393 (DBZ 199), P13.6
Kame-sennin: “Who’s that?”
Yamcha: “He’s the world grappling champion...”

Chapter: 393 (DBZ 199), P14.1-2
Reporter: “Will you be alright, Mister Satan? Your opponent Cell is even capable of wiping out armies.”
Mister Satan: “That was just a trick: he planted bombs beforehand. I could tell right away. As far as grappling goes, he looks like a complete amateur.”
I thought this choice of word was a bit odd, since Mr. Satan (nor anyone else, if I recall correctly) ever really exhibits any grappling skill. Is "grappling" supposed to be a catch-all term for "fighting" in this context? Or does Mr. Satan have mad skillz we've never even seen?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:01 pm

Grappling seemed odd to me too, but it fits, I suppose.
When I search the original word used (格闘技) it looks a little more like MMA to me.
I don't know enough about it to say for certain either way.

Viz translated it as "Wrestling".

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:07 am

Can someone let me know that the original version says?

For the 2nd picture I only need Goku's text in panel 4.

Help appreciated.

Herms

Post by Herms » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:53 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Is "grappling" supposed to be a catch-all term for "fighting" in this context?
Pretty much, yeah. The Japanese word 格闘/kakutou is rather general (格闘ゲーム is one of the standard Japanese terms for "fighting game", for instance), so my apologies if "grappling" is too specific for that. I had thought "grappling" was pretty general as well, but thinking about it, I may have just gotten that notion from seeing it used as a translation for 格闘 in various not necessarily high-quality translations. I'm not much of an expert on real world martial arts, so when translating that word for the Strength Checker it was pretty much just a case of "oh, I've seen people translate it like this, so that must be right". Oh well.

Anyway, throughout DB, 武道/budou and 武術/bujutsu are the words typically used for the martial arts. For whatever reason, Mister Satan is fairly unique in being described as the 格闘/kakutou champion, although as you can see Satan himself describes Goku as a 格闘 amateur, and Videl calls the Tenkaichi Budokai a tournament for deciding the 格闘 world champion. So it could just be that Satan happens to like the word or something (and it rubs off on Videl), rather than him having some unique fighting style. And/or Toriyama happened to start using that word around the time Satan showed up, just as a change of pace. Although I do wonder if Videl describing the TB as determining the world 格闘 champion is Toriyama's way of trying to retcon in the idea that Satan was already the TB champion back when he first appears in the Cell arc.
SSJ2FutureGohan wrote:
Can someone let me know that the original version says?

For the 2nd picture I only need Goku's text in panel 4.

Help appreciated.
Ah, that old chestnut. I'll just quote myself back on page 48. Boy, those were the days.
Goku: "[r]…I don’t know…I can’t sense the squirts’ Fusion’s ki either…And it doesn’t seem like [they’ve] fought…[l] Why did [Boo’s?] ki suddenly vanish?..."

This panel probably has the record for being requested the most times throughout this thread. The tricky part is whether in that second speech balloon when Goku talks about a ki suddenly vanishing, does he mean "the squirts' Fusions' ki" or Boo's ki. There's no actual possessive there in Japanese, so you have to go off of context. If you look at just the one panel on its own, then it's very natural to assume Goku means the Fusion's ki, but the actual page starts out with Goku noting how Boo's ki has vanished.
The conversation goes like this:

Goku: "Hey Kaioshin, have you noticed? Majin Boo’s ki vanished a while ago."
Kaioshin: "Huh? Oh, now that you mention it!"
Kibito: "What’s going on? Is he dead?"
Goku: "…I don’t know…I can’t sense the squirts’ Fusion’s ki either…And it doesn’t seem like [they’ve] fought…Why did [Boo’s?] ki suddenly vanish?..."

So taken in that larger context it probably makes more sense to assume Goku's talking about Boo's ki. What's more, the whole reason Goku can't sense anybody's ki is because they've all gone into the Room of Spirit and Time. But Goten and Trunks went in to the room first, then fused into Gotenks inside. So it wouldn't make much sense for Goku to talk about "the squirts' Fusion's ki" suddenly vanishing, since they weren't fused when they went into the room. Still, it's possible Toriyama forgot that detail and really did intend Goku to be talking about the Fusion's ki after all.

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:30 am

Not exactly a translation request, but I'm assuming it'd be pointless to make a whole thread for this.

Question: Does one of the Daizenshuus really say that Recoome killed Kuririn?

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:33 am

No. That rumor comes from a mistranslation on Herms' part.
Herms wrote:Now that I think of it, that "the daizenshuu say Recoom killed Gohan" thing comes mostly from how I mistranslated the Daizenshuu 2 attack section to say that Recoom's Eraser Gun "finishes off" Vegeta and co. rather than simply being intended to finish them off. At the time I was translating, I didn't have any manga for reference and misremembered the attack as actually taking the gang out, which affected my translation.

Man, I should just quit.

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:34 am

Oh, ok, thank you.

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:35 am

Sure.

...I really need to buy the Daizenshuu one of these days.
I unfortunately can't provide the original line.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:52 am

FatNagger69 wrote: I unfortunately can't provide the original line.
If you care, it's "ベジータ、悟飯、クリリンらにトドメの一撃"
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:48 am

I do! Thank you.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:48 pm

Adamant wrote:If you care, it's "ベジータ、悟飯、クリリンらにトドメの一撃"
Re-re-(re?)-looking at it now, I can certainly understand why I would have translated it as "an attack that finishes of Vegeta, Gohan, and Kuririn" back in the day. I mean, presumably what they mean is that Recoom fires this attack in order to finish them off, but there's nothing you can point to and go "this bit means the attack doesn't actually finish them off". You just have to know how the scene plays out. OK, I could have stuck with "a finishing attack for Vegeta, Gohan, and Kuririn" or something like that, but that just sounds kind of odd.

It seems like the entire description just comes from how Recoom says "this'll finish it!" (こいつでフィニッシュだ!) before firing the Eraser Gun. At any rate, the attack is really only aimed at Vegeta, and Kuririn and Gohan butt in to save Vegeta's life, so it's definitely a bad description no matter how you slice it. But it's not actually something flat-out ridiculous as something saying "Recoom kills Vegeta/Gohan/Kuririn!".