The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

kuartus4
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:41 am

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by kuartus4 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:38 am

Can someone tell me what these panels say? Thanks:

ImageImage

Bando
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:51 pm

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Bando » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:37 pm

Hey guys, got into a massive debate with some... energized fans. I was hoping you could clarify something for us.

In a recent interview Toriyama said Beers sealed Kaioshin in the Z-Sword because it wouldn't be proper to destroy the Kaioshin Realm itself.

These fans think this must mean that Beers can destroy the entirety of the Kaioshin Realm, and I keep arguing Kaioshin Realm is also a general term that's been used in reference to the planet before too. We've decided to just ask on Kanzenshuu to have this settled once and for all. Please impart us with your wisdom?

User avatar
EmmaWinters
Moderator
Posts: 863
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:10 pm
Location: The Interstice
Contact:

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by EmmaWinters » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:01 pm

Bando wrote:Hey guys, got into a massive debate with some... energized fans. I was hoping you could clarify something for us.

In a recent interview Toriyama said Beers sealed Kaioshin in the Z-Sword because it wouldn't be proper to destroy the Kaioshin Realm itself.

These fans think this must mean that Beers can destroy the entirety of the Kaioshin Realm, and I keep arguing Kaioshin Realm is also a general term that's been used in reference to the planet before too. We've decided to just ask on Kanzenshuu to have this settled once and for all. Please impart us with your wisdom?
Maybe I'm missing something, but what does this have to do with translation? Is he questioning the interview's legitimacy?
kuartus4 wrote:Can someone tell me what these panels say? Thanks:
お遊びはもうせんぞ··· すぐに終わらせてやる···
I'm finished playing around, I'll end this (fight) right now.

たのしかったよ··· こんなに運動をしたのはほんとうにひさしぶりだった···
It's been fun. It's been quite a long time since I've had this much exercise.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

Bando
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:51 pm

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Bando » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:32 pm

FatNagger69 wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but what does this have to do with translation? Is he questioning the interview's legitimacy?
More or less asking for clarification of what the term "Kaioshin Realm" is referring. Did Toriyama mean Beerus could destroy the entire realm, or just the planet?

User avatar
Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus
Posts: 10550
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Jupiter
Contact:

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Herms » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:19 am

Bando wrote:
FatNagger69 wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but what does this have to do with translation? Is he questioning the interview's legitimacy?
More or less asking for clarification of what the term "Kaioshin Realm" is referring. Did Toriyama mean Beerus could destroy the entire realm, or just the planet?
In the "Twel-Boo Mysteries" Q&A, the term used is 界王神界/Kaioushin-kai, typically translated on Kanzenshuu as "Kaioshin Realm". It's the name for the mini-universe that the Kaioshins live in, which includes not only that planet with the Z Sword and the trees and all that, but also all those moons/suns you can see in the sky. The name for that actual planet is 界王神星/Kaioushin-sei, "Kaioshin Planet", which mirrors the official name for Kaio's tiny planet, which is rather unimaginatively just 界王星/Kaiou-sei, "Kaio Planet" (you could alternatively translate these as "Planet Kaioshin" and "Planet Kaio", the same way Namekku-sei is "Planet Namek", but I personally think it sounds a little stupid).

I can't say with absolute certainty that 界王神界/Kaioushin-kai is never, ever used to refer specifically to the planet, but offhand I don't think it is. It probably gets a bit fuzzy at times, since the planet is really the only location within the realm which we ever actually visit in the series. So for instance, you can say that Kibito teleports Gohan to the Kaioshin Realm or the Kaioshin Planet, and in practical terms it means the same thing. At any rate, Daizenshuu 7/Chouzenshuu 4's glossary defines 界王神界/Kaioushin-kai as the entire realm (that is, the mini-universe that revolves around the rest of the DB cosmos like a moon), and 界王神星/Kaioushin-sei as the planet inside the realm (in fact, according to the glossary, this is the only planet in the entire realm, and the rest of it is filled with all those suns/moons you see in the sky). The labeling for the map of the DB cosmos in the book follows suit, with the mini-universe thing labeled 界王神界/Kaioushin-kai and the planet inside it labelled 界王神星/Kaioushin-sei.

I suppose this is all really more of a DB back-story question than a translation question, since the two words are only defined within the specific context of DB. And even then, it's mostly just in the extended explanations we get in the guides. Offhand I don't recall how clearly any of this is laid out in the series itself, but I know that the whole "separate mini-universe that revolves around the rest of the cosmos like a moon" thing was only first revealed with the cosmos map Toriyama drew for the guides.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Bando
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:51 pm

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Bando » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:07 am

Herms wrote:
Bando wrote:
FatNagger69 wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but what does this have to do with translation? Is he questioning the interview's legitimacy?
More or less asking for clarification of what the term "Kaioshin Realm" is referring. Did Toriyama mean Beerus could destroy the entire realm, or just the planet?
In the "Twel-Boo Mysteries" Q&A, the term used is 界王神界/Kaioushin-kai, typically translated on Kanzenshuu as "Kaioshin Realm". It's the name for the mini-universe that the Kaioshins live in, which includes not only that planet with the Z Sword and the trees and all that, but also all those moons/suns you can see in the sky. The name for that actual planet is 界王神星/Kaioushin-sei, "Kaioshin Planet", which mirrors the official name for Kaio's tiny planet, which is rather unimaginatively just 界王星/Kaiou-sei, "Kaio Planet" (you could alternatively translate these as "Planet Kaioshin" and "Planet Kaio", the same way Namekku-sei is "Planet Namek", but I personally think it sounds a little stupid).

I can't say with absolute certainty that 界王神界/Kaioushin-kai is never, ever used to refer specifically to the planet, but offhand I don't think it is. It probably gets a bit fuzzy at times, since the planet is really the only location within the realm which we ever actually visit in the series. So for instance, you can say that Kibito teleports Gohan to the Kaioshin Realm or the Kaioshin Planet, and in practical terms it means the same thing. At any rate, Daizenshuu 7/Chouzenshuu 4's glossary defines 界王神界/Kaioushin-kai as the entire realm (that is, the mini-universe that revolves around the rest of the DB cosmos like a moon), and 界王神星/Kaioushin-sei as the planet inside the realm (in fact, according to the glossary, this is the only planet in the entire realm, and the rest of it is filled with all those suns/moons you see in the sky). The labeling for the map of the DB cosmos in the book follows suit, with the mini-universe thing labeled 界王神界/Kaioushin-kai and the planet inside it labelled 界王神星/Kaioushin-sei.

I suppose this is all really more of a DB back-story question than a translation question, since the two words are only defined within the specific context of DB. And even then, it's mostly just in the extended explanations we get in the guides. Offhand I don't recall how clearly any of this is laid out in the series itself, but I know that the whole "separate mini-universe that revolves around the rest of the cosmos like a moon" thing was only first revealed with the cosmos map Toriyama drew for the guides.
Thank you for this, and I hope I'm not delving too far from this topic's original purpose.

Would you say Kaioshin-kai in this context is referring to the planet specifically?
I ask because I recall in the Geographical Dictionary it's the Kaioshin planet that is referred to as resilient, not the entire Kaioshin Realm itself. In the second scan I believe he is saying the realm had been ravaged, but going by the manga at least, nothing outside of the planet was actually affected by Goku and Boo's battle. There are also several instances in the anime where Kaioshin will scream "the Kaioshin Realm!" whenever Boo or Goku cause relatively minor damage to the planet.

From how I understand it, Kaioshin-sei can be used to refer only to the planet, but Kaioshin-kai is a more general, catch-all term for the realm and planet. At least, I think Toriyama was probably meaning it wouldn't be proper to wreck the Kaioshin planet seeing how it's essentially the Gods of Creations' home.

User avatar
Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus
Posts: 10550
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Jupiter
Contact:

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Herms » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:11 am

Bando wrote:Would you say Kaioshin-kai in this context is referring to the planet specifically?
I ask because I recall in the Geographical Dictionary it's the Kaioshin planet that is referred to as resilient, not the entire Kaioshin Realm itself. In the second scan I believe he is saying the realm had been ravaged, but going by the manga at least, nothing outside of the planet was actually affected by Goku and Boo's battle. There are also several instances in the anime where Kaioshin will scream "the Kaioshin Realm!" whenever Boo or Goku cause relatively minor damage to the planet.
Yeah, that definitely seems like they're using Kaioshin-kai for the planet specifically.
From how I understand it, Kaioshin-sei can be used to refer only to the planet, but Kaioshin-kai is a more general, catch-all term for the realm and planet. At least, I think Toriyama was probably meaning it wouldn't be proper to wreck the Kaioshin planet seeing how it's essentially the Gods of Creations' home.
I think that's a fair overview. I mean, it'd be weird for Kaio to go "Oh no! The North Galaxy!" when Boo or somebody blows lumps out of the Earth, but since that planet with the Z Sword is supposed to be the only actual planet in the entire Kaioshin Realm, it's probably not too odd to say the "Kaioshin Realm" when you really just mean that planet.

At any rate, I definitely think if someone's trying to go "oh, Toriyama said Beerus could destroy the entire Kaioshin Realm, and that's XY% the size of the rest of the universe, therefore Beerus can destroy XY% of the universe, therefore...", then they're reading way too much into it.
kuartus4 wrote:Can someone tell me what these panels say? Thanks:
Cell: I’m through playing around. I’ll end this right away.
Freeza: It’s been fun…It really has been a long time since I’ve exercised so much…

I really do hate people posting random manga panels and saying "please translate" without any explanation as to why they want these panels in particular translated. Viz has put the entire manga out in English, and while there are some problems with their translation, overall it's pretty reliable. There's nothing wrong with wanting a bit of extra confirmation or explanation as to what the manga says, but it'd really be nice to offer some sort of explanation why. Otherwise I get the feeling people are just going to ask to have the entire manga translated piece by piece.

I mean, I assume the Freeza one has something to do with the new movie and all the talk about him having never trained before, but the Cell one's pretty cryptic.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Bando
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:51 pm

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Bando » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:14 am

Thank you very much for sharing your insights Herms. Keep up the good work. :D

kuartus4
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 217
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:41 am

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by kuartus4 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:59 pm

Herms wrote:I really do hate people posting random manga panels and saying "please translate" without any explanation as to why they want these panels in particular translated. Viz has put the entire manga out in English, and while there are some problems with their translation, overall it's pretty reliable. There's nothing wrong with wanting a bit of extra confirmation or explanation as to what the manga says, but it'd really be nice to offer some sort of explanation why. Otherwise I get the feeling people are just going to ask to have the entire manga translated piece by piece.

I mean, I assume the Freeza one has something to do with the new movie and all the talk about him having never trained before, but the Cell one's pretty cryptic.
I've read the English Viz edition before, but I don't own it right now so its a bit hard for me to go check what it says and so I forget this or that piece of dialogue.

The Cell panel I asked for has to do with the theory that Cell was toying with Gohan in the beam struggle, and that's why Gohan wasn't overwhelmed by Cell's kamehameha from the start. Cell's dialogue there seems to rule that out... I think.

And the Freeza one is about the new claim from RoF that Freeza never trained before. Would you say the dialogue from that panel contradicts that new claim?

User avatar
Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10274
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:29 am

Anyone who has it on hand, what does Baby say in episode 32 of GT after Buu explodes? I'm wanting to know if Baby shows any kind of indication of knowing about Buu. In the English Dub, it just says "he's a pile of ashes," which, concerning the guy who got blown up, doesn't really show that he knows the character.

Does the Japanese version say anything different?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here
Posts: 2496
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:29 am

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:44 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Anyone who has it on hand, what does Baby say in episode 32 of GT after Buu explodes? I'm wanting to know if Baby shows any kind of indication of knowing about Buu. In the English Dub, it just says "he's a pile of ashes," which, concerning the guy who got blown up, doesn't really show that he knows the character.

Does the Japanese version say anything different?
"Oob, you, like Goku, have been annihilated as space scum!"

So it seems he's addressing Uub, not Buu.

User avatar
Suupaa Gohan 2
Regular
Posts: 645
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:42 pm
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Contact:

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Suupaa Gohan 2 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:59 pm

Marked for deletion.
Last edited by Suupaa Gohan 2 on Wed May 06, 2015 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steam Name: SG2
Discord Tag: Esjitu#4064

"I came to save you thanks to a magic bean. And if you think it was easy to find that bean, you're wrong."
--'Big Green' Yajirobe

User avatar
Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus
Posts: 10550
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Jupiter
Contact:

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Herms » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:40 pm

Suupaa Gohan 2 wrote:http://i1.pixiv.net/img71/img/ugougomem ... mw_p12.jpg

Would love to know why Gokou needs a phone so badly.
He's actually pestering Goten to go train with him like he promised, but Goten is on the phone with his girlfriend and just wants his dad to shut up.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

User avatar
Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Deathbringer » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:17 am

I hope this hasn't already been answered in the thread but the title "Guardian of Earth", is that just a dub thing? Is Kami's/Dende's title the God of Earth and was the "Guardian" just a way for the dub to not have to mention anything religious?

User avatar
Tyro
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1646
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 12:04 pm
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Tyro » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:18 pm

Deathbringer wrote:I hope this hasn't already been answered in the thread but the title "Guardian of Earth", is that just a dub thing? Is Kami's/Dende's title the God of Earth and was the "Guardian" just a way for the dub to not have to mention anything religious?
It might not have been answered specifically in this thread, but you're right on the money when you said FUNimation use terms like "guardian" as a way to get around pissing off the soccer moms.

"Kami" means "God". To Japanese kids, that old, green Piccolo lookalike is known simply as God or sometimes God of Earth. It's a title, not a name. And that's how it should have been translated in the first place.

User avatar
Adamant
I Live Here
Posts: 2946
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:02 pm
Location: Viking Land
Contact:

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Adamant » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:42 pm

Tyro wrote:
Deathbringer wrote:I hope this hasn't already been answered in the thread but the title "Guardian of Earth", is that just a dub thing? Is Kami's/Dende's title the God of Earth and was the "Guardian" just a way for the dub to not have to mention anything religious?
It might not have been answered specifically in this thread, but you're right on the money when you said FUNimation use terms like "guardian" as a way to get around pissing off the soccer moms.

"Kami" means "God". To Japanese kids, that old, green Piccolo lookalike is known simply as God or sometimes God of Earth. It's a title, not a name. And that's how it should have been translated in the first place.
It's also how it is translated in translations that didn't see the need to self-censor themselves. Going "he's some guy named Kami" was just a convenient way of censoring that several translators chose.
The entire "guardian" thing is just something they threw in because changing God to "someone named Kami" means you then have to explain who this Kami person is and what the entire deal with him is.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

User avatar
Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here
Posts: 3362
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:45 am
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:10 pm

So, this isn't really a translation request, but more of a clarification on one. The line:
Vegeta: “Id-idiot! Check out his latent power…! It’s a different thing than what it was before…! What’s more, he’s regained his composure and has become calm…”
Is there a reason why Vegeta would mention his "latent" power rather than his power in general? The "latent" term often refers to hidden power, but it just seems odd to use here.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

User avatar
Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus
Posts: 10550
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Jupiter
Contact:

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Herms » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:36 pm

Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote:So, this isn't really a translation request, but more of a clarification on one. The line:
Vegeta: “Id-idiot! Check out his latent power…! It’s a different thing than what it was before…! What’s more, he’s regained his composure and has become calm…”
Is there a reason why Vegeta would mention his "latent" power rather than his power in general? The "latent" term often refers to hidden power, but it just seems odd to use here.
It is a bit odd. The phrase in Japanese is 潜在パワー/senzai pawaa; 潜在/senzai=latent/dormant/potential, and パワー/pawaa=the English word "power". It's not too far off from the standard term for the type of dormant power Gohan always seem to have, 潜在能力/senzai nouryoku; it just replaces 能力/nouryoku (ability) with the English word power. While we're on the subject, in the new movie (or the manga adaptation, at least) 潜在能力/senzai nouryoku is what Freeza says he'll unlock by training for four months.

As for why Vegeta says "latent power" here...your guess is as good as mine. I suppose it might be because third form Freeza still hasn't done anything yet, so his power is still "latent" in that sense. And/or maybe he's suppressing it. It is notable that Kuririn apparently isn't noticing whatever Vegeta is, despite being the one with more experience sensing ki. But Vegeta also assumes Kuririn could notice it, if he payed attention.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

User avatar
Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10274
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:27 pm

So, after listening to the last podcast, there was a short aside about Demigra's name.

I was wondering if this is the same type of situation as Vegeta/Bejita? A case of preserving the pun vs a direct Romanization?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

User avatar
Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here
Posts: 3362
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:45 am
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:56 pm

Herms wrote:
Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote:So, this isn't really a translation request, but more of a clarification on one. The line:
Vegeta: “Id-idiot! Check out his latent power…! It’s a different thing than what it was before…! What’s more, he’s regained his composure and has become calm…”
Is there a reason why Vegeta would mention his "latent" power rather than his power in general? The "latent" term often refers to hidden power, but it just seems odd to use here.
It is a bit odd. The phrase in Japanese is 潜在パワー/senzai pawaa; 潜在/senzai=latent/dormant/potential, and パワー/pawaa=the English word "power". It's not too far off from the standard term for the type of dormant power Gohan always seem to have, 潜在能力/senzai nouryoku; it just replaces 能力/nouryoku (ability) with the English word power. While we're on the subject, in the new movie (or the manga adaptation, at least) 潜在能力/senzai nouryoku is what Freeza says he'll unlock by training for four months.

As for why Vegeta says "latent power" here...your guess is as good as mine. I suppose it might be because third form Freeza still hasn't done anything yet, so his power is still "latent" in that sense. And/or maybe he's suppressing it. It is notable that Kuririn apparently isn't noticing whatever Vegeta is, despite being the one with more experience sensing ki. But Vegeta also assumes Kuririn could notice it, if he payed attention.
Thanks for the thorough explanation, Herms.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Post Reply