The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by pepd » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:14 pm

Could someone clarify this?
The English, Portuguese and Spanish translations If found say just that Gokū couldn't beat Vegeta even by doubling his strength with the kaiōken. but Kanzenshuu says: "The narrator explains here how Son Goku’s Kaiō-Ken technique works. The normal Kaiō-Ken doubles Goku’s battle power." (https://www.kanzenshuu.com/battle-power/manga/#229)

What does it say? That the kaiōken doubled or doubles his strength?
Thanks.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat May 01, 2021 8:55 am

pepd wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:14 pm Could someone clarify this?
The English, Portuguese and Spanish translations If found say just that Gokū couldn't beat Vegeta even by doubling his strength with the kaiōken. but Kanzenshuu says: "The narrator explains here how Son Goku’s Kaiō-Ken technique works. The normal Kaiō-Ken doubles Goku’s battle power." (https://www.kanzenshuu.com/battle-power/manga/#229)

Thanks.
I'm not quite sure what you're misinterpreting here to make you think there's any discrepancies between the two. It says the Kaioken doubled his battle power, which means it says the Kaioken doubles his battle power.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Sat May 01, 2021 3:49 pm

Adamant wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:55 am
pepd wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:14 pm
I'm not quite sure what you're misinterpreting here to make you think there's any discrepancies between the two. It says the Kaioken doubled his battle power, which means it says the Kaioken doubles his battle power.
They don't contradict each other, but they are not the same. Here's an analogy: That Jeff got a six with a dice doesn't mean the dice gives six. That's why I'm asking what exactly says in Japanese.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat May 01, 2021 5:44 pm

pepd wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:49 pm They don't contradict each other, but they are not the same.
They literally are.
pepd wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:49 pmThat's why I'm asking what exactly says in Japanese.
Herms provided a full translation of that text box a bit further down that very same page you linked.
Chapter 229; Page 01; Panel 01
Narrator: “Vegeta’s strength has greatly surpassed what Goku had figured on…! That power was such that not even the Kaiō-Ken, which doubled Goku’s battle power, could give Goku the upper hand… What will you do?! Goku!!”
(I don't think that "greatly" should actually be there, but it doesn't change the meaning any)
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Thu May 06, 2021 3:09 am

Adamant wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:44 pm
pepd wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:49 pm They don't contradict each other, but they are not the same.
They literally are.
Really? "literally"? "doubled" is literally the same as "doubles"? d=s?
Herms provided a full translation of that text box a bit further down that very same page you linked.
Chapter 229; Page 01; Panel 01
Narrator: “Vegeta’s strength has greatly surpassed what Goku had figured on…! That power was such that not even the Kaiō-Ken, which doubled Goku’s battle power, could give Goku the upper hand… What will you do?! Goku!!”
Oh. I must have had their summary in mind and misread it as "doubles"; that's why I wanted clarification. Thanks.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu May 06, 2021 5:32 pm

pepd wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:09 am ...
It's describing an effect, there's no difference in meaning.

Again, I'm not sure what you're even trying to ask about. Are you wondering if the text might potentially be interpreted as "The Kaioken increases Goku's strength by a random amount, and this particular time it happened to double it" or something? Ask the actual questions you have instead of trying to arrive at an answer by asking something else.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Thu May 06, 2021 6:07 pm

Adamant wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:32 pm
pepd wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:09 am ...
It's describing an effect, there's no difference in meaning.

Again, I'm not sure what you're even trying to ask about. Are you wondering if the text might potentially be interpreted as "The Kaioken increases Goku's strength by a random amount, and this particular time it happened to double it" or something? Ask the actual questions you have instead of trying to arrive at an answer by asking something else.
No, I was not actually asking you if "d" is the same as "s". It was a rhetorical question pointing out the dismissive hyperbole or misuse of "literal".

I asked the question:
Could someone clarify this?
As I mentioned, I asked for clarification because the other translations I found were different (an negligible difference for you, but a difference nonetheless), and thought I may be ambiguous or something. Or that is what I thought, but turns out I mixed their translation with their summary, and the translations are the same

München X Cisf

Post by München X Cisf » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:22 pm

Does it really say that inside Majin Boo's body the strength of Goku and Vegeta was reduced to less than one hundredth of their real power? Was it in Daizenshuu where they mentioned that? Incredible! If Boo could really do that, even if it was unintentionally, then even Vegetto would have been in trouble if he fought Majin Boo inside his body.

dragonball0900
Advanced Regular

Post by dragonball0900 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:20 pm

I've been wondering about this image. Does anybody know what it says specifically in Krillin, Gohan, Vegeta and Piccolo's sections? I want to know the exact lines' translations.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:53 pm

https://twitter.com/DbsHype1/status/151 ... 09/photo/3

Does this say Yamcha is eliminated. It does not quite look the kanji of his name. The bottom left text box.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:01 pm

No, Yamcha's name is not stated there. Bottom left appears to be narration congratulating them on their good work, "them" being Team 1 of the... History Warriors? I don't know what we're going with for a naming scheme here.

If this is the latest (being the second) Ultra God Mission chapter, my Saikyo Jump was shipped but won't be here until probably Monday. I'm not really following this story personally, though, so I have zero context for what else I'm looking at here.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Wed May 18, 2022 12:28 pm

I’ve seen Herms say the box about fusion says it multipliers powers together, but I’ve also seen translations saying it just combines and the term can’t be interpreted as multiplication. Which one is it?
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

StinkyGarbage

Post by StinkyGarbage » Sun May 22, 2022 12:11 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:28 pm I’ve seen Herms say the box about fusion says it multipliers powers together, but I’ve also seen translations saying it just combines and the term can’t be interpreted as multiplication. Which one is it?
悟空のフュージョン講座
Goku's Fusion Course
"悟空が、あの世で会ったメタモル星人に教わったというフュージョン。カや体格が近い場合にできる合体技で、成功すれば、2人の力をかけ合わせた超戦士が誕生する。"
“A fusion Goku learned from the Metamoran aliens he met in the afterlife. It's a fusion technique that can be done when two people are close in shape and form, and if successful, a super warrior is born from the combined power of the 2.”

"か(掛)け合わせ" can mean both "combine" or "multiply", yes.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:50 pm

Can anyone translate what is said in the green box here. Points 1 through 7.

https://i.imgur.com/gWooj7U_d.webp?maxw ... ity=medium

BOEGVELD

Post by BOEGVELD » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:02 pm

Doesn't seem like this thread is very active anymore, but I'll try anyway lol. Would anybody mind translating these two panels?

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:25 am

BOEGVELD wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:02 pm Doesn't seem like this thread is very active anymore, but I'll try anyway lol. Would anybody mind translating these two panels?
"I-If Goku hadn't done something, everyone here would've been blown to atoms..."
"Y-You have been blown into smithereens...!! Y-You cannot possibly be brought back any more, not even by Shenlong!!"

What exactly was it you wanted to know from these?

FeatsofPower
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FeatsofPower » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:24 pm

How come original Dragonball's subtitles have Yamcha's name as Yamucha? Which is the right way to say it?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:11 am

FeatsofPower wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:24 pm How come original Dragonball's subtitles have Yamcha's name as Yamucha? Which is the right way to say it?
The character's name in Japanese is: ヤムチャ

A direct romanization of that is: yamucha ("ya" and "mu" and then "chi" with the small "ya" modifier makes it "cha")

We know, both from obvious context and because Toriyama told us so (probably in a few places, but notably in the Dragon Ball Forever roundup of name pun explanations), that it's taken from 飲茶 (yamucha), a form of Chinese dining consisting of drinking tea while eating dim sum.

So you can go a couple routes here:

A pretty straight forward and reasonable way to adapt the name is, well, exact as-is from the romanization of the original Japanese katakana spelling of ヤムチャ: "Yamucha".

Another reasonable way to adapt the name might be "Yum Cha", taken from its Cantonese source...

... but perhaps not really, because Toriyama explicitly names the character with a katakana (phonetic Japanese alphabet) spelling, rather than the kanji from its "original" Chinese spelling.

(It's probably worth noting that in early drafts for the series, Toriyama first named the character "Yum Cha" as-is from Chinese as 飲茶, followed by "Yamu Cha" as ヤム·チャ with the interpunct in there, followed by the actual/finalized ヤムチャ that we see in the series-proper.)

So... what do you do?!

"Yamucha" is still entirely reasonable and makes perfect sense.

"Yamcha" helps avoid the tendency of non-native speakers to put the emPHAsis on the wrong sylLAble; it's not "yaMOOcha" just like Naruto isn't "nuROOdo" (and, for that matter, "Dabura" isn't "duBOOra").

"Yamucha" and "Yamcha" and even "Yumcha" were all widely-used spellings in the English language fandom prior to FUNimation's acquisition of the series. They're all "accurate"/"correct".
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:02 am

I'm curious about something and don't have the Japanese panels.

I asked once if the manga and guide books that refer to Yamchas as having stopped fighting preclude him from training without fighting in tournaments or against threats.

People told me I was being pedantic and it's clearly he stopped everything, but I got thinking about how vegetas line about how he will never fight again, yet followed by seeing him *training* in the gravity room.

He doesn't *fight* again until Goku, the reason he stopped, comes back.

Can someone cross reference the line about vegeta and Gohans line about Yamcha pre tournament, and possibly the guide book as well to see if the wording is similar in the original Japanese.

Big ask so no worries if not
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

DaSuperBaby

Post by DaSuperBaby » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:52 pm

This is an official Dragon Ball timeline board from a Dragon Ball History exhibit at the Tenkaichi Budosai event in 2017, and I was hoping somebody could translate the texts in the white boxes if they have the time. People keep asking me what it says when I show them and I've been looking for someone who can translate these. Sorry if these images aren't good in certain ways but these are all I could find except one which has bad quality. (6 images)