The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaboom

The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Kaboom » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:46 pm

Hey, everyone. This seems like something we could use, as with all the power-related in-universe discussions and the subsequent rise to power of Herms, there's been a noticeable surge of "translation request" threads. So I thought it might be prudent to "clean up" a bit, and create a single centralized thread for that sort of thing.

So next time you'd like to have a particular manga phrase laid out in its original context for whatever reason, this is the place to go. It doesn't have to be just that, though. It could be stuff like, "the dub had this line, what was originally said?" Or "was this line changed at all in such-and-such?"

To start off, here's something I'm curious about. This particular moment is one of my favorites from the Boo arc -- Goten and Trunks are making their repeated attempts at a successful Fusion, and Kuririn has this little fourth wall to break...

Kuririn: "Hey, wait a minute... What's Toriyama pulling?! These panels have gotta be photocopies!"
Tori-Bot: "Um... Mr. Editor? You don't have to pay me for this page... really..."

So my question is, was this the original joke, or did Viz embellish it in some way? I seem to recall an old scanslation saying something like, "do you get the feeling the artist is being lazy" or something like that.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:52 pm

Hey, I remember a thread like this from MFG!

I think this is a good idea, just like your battle power thread! People finally have go-to threads for that particular thing!
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:08 pm

Kaboom wrote:
Kuririn: "Hey, wait a minute... What's Toriyama pulling?! These panels have gotta be photocopies!"
Tori-Bot: "Um... Mr. Editor? You don't have to pay me for this page... really..."

So my question is, was this the original joke, or did Viz embellish it in some way? I seem to recall an old scanslation saying something like, "do you get the feeling the artist is being lazy" or something like that.
Since this is a translation thread, I guess it goes both ways, right? I mean, we can include other versions too?

I the Swedish translation, it's something like this:

Kuririn: "It seems like that the author has gotten a bit lazy lately..."
Tori-Bot: "I'm not getting paid extra for this!"

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:42 pm

Does anyone know what the original manga version of this scene from Viz is?

Freeza: Look closely. This is not something you get to see often. When I attacked the Saiyan planet and fought the king, I won without the need to transform...Your father didn't take long to dispatch, Mr. Vegeta.

Vegeta: Feh...! Don't get all high and mighty over that...I had already surpassed him when I was a kid!
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:48 pm

Herms' thread on strength has his own translation of this scene.
Herms wrote:Chapter: 296 (DBZ 102), P2.2-3, P3.1
Context: still talking about Freeza’s transformations
Vegeta: “Don’t be scared, he’s bluffing…he won’t change that much.”
Freeza: “Oh, is that right? Look vee—eery closely. This isn’t something you get to see very often. Even when I attacked Planet Vegeta, where the Saiyans lived, and fought with the king, I was able to win without any need to transform whatsoever…Vegeta…your father wasn’t anything special.”
Vegeta: “Chih…! Don’t feel too good about yourself over that…I already surpassed the king’s power back when I was a kid…!”

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:00 pm

Kiyza wrote:Herms' thread on strength has his own translation of this scene.
Aw, shit. I forgot about that thread. :oops:

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:36 pm

Kaboom wrote:To start off, here's something I'm curious about. This particular moment is one of my favorites from the Boo arc -- Goten and Trunks are making their repeated attempts at a successful Fusion, and Kuririn has this little fourth wall to break...

It's basically the same in the original. A more direct translation would go like this:

Kuririn: “…That’s fine and all, but the author has really been taking it easy for awhile now, hasn’t he?...No matter how I look at it, these are mostly copies…”
Toriyama: “Um…editor?...It’s alright if you don’t pay me the manuscript fee for these pages…Honest…”

It's somewhat ambiguous how many pages Toriyama's talking about (no true Japanese plural and all that jazz), but the Fusion dance gets copied twice, so I went with "these pages".

The only thing I really take issue with in Viz's translation is Kuririn referring to Toriyama by name rather than as simply "the author" like in the original. I don't know quite how to explain, but it seems to me like it would be really out of character for Toriyama to have himself mentioned by name in the series like that.
Piccolo Daimao wrote:Hey, I remember a thread like this from MFG!

I think this is a good idea, just like your battle power thread! People finally have go-to threads for that particular thing!
Of course, the MFG thread was naturally dedicated pretty much entirely to strength-related quotes. And since I've now set up the Strength Checker thread as the hub for all strength-related manga quotes, I'll request that all such translation requests go there, and that this thread be dedicated to stuff besides strength-related quotes, or at least to strength-related quotes from outside the manga.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:45 am

http://imageftw.com/uploads/20101221/cellbored.png
Yeah, could I get a translation of what Cell's saying here?
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

cpd12589
Beyond Newbie

Post by cpd12589 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:49 am

Yeah this threads a really good idea since the Viz isn't quite 100% correct.

Herms

Post by Herms » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:08 am

Perfect wrote:http://imageftw.com/uploads/20101221/cellbored.png
Yeah, could I get a translation of what Cell's saying here?
“This is boring…’9 days from now’ was too long…”

Super-literally this would be something like “saying ‘9 days from now’ was too long”; ie Cell is thinking he should have given a shorter time-frame before the start of the Cell Games (so ‘9 days from now’ doesn’t refer to now now, but whenever Cell announced the Cell Games). I remember Viz had Cell say 10 days instead of 9, for some reason.

Ashy-kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashy-kun » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:40 pm

This thread's also a good one because each of us non-Herms translators can actually contribute to a topic we can see when he is offline.
Your freelance, amateur translator, with over a year's worth of self-taught experience. Once an honorary member of Team Kinniku, and a man with his work shown in various places here and there. If you have a song you'd like me to look over, I'll happily look it over and see if I can translate it for you.

Most Recent Song Added to Ashy-kun's Song Translation Topic: Yoake no Kodomo-tachi (Translated: The Children of the Dawn)

jackjack
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jackjack » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:54 pm

What's Vegeta's reaction to seeing Super Saiyan 3 Goku? Thanks
http://i55.tinypic.com/1fa0sw.jpg

Ashy-kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashy-kun » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:34 pm

Nothing special. He just says "Nu-...!! Koitsu ga...!!" or basically "Nn...!! This guy...!!" So, really, he's probably just incredulous about the depths of Gokuu's abilities, like actually being able to become Super Saiyan 3.

Meanwhile, I just realised that my earlier comment just made it seem like some of us other translators on the board like the replacements for Mr. Herms or like his personal minion army.

"Herms no Yakusha no Gundan!! Shutsudou!!"

"Herms' Translator Army!! Moving out!!"
Your freelance, amateur translator, with over a year's worth of self-taught experience. Once an honorary member of Team Kinniku, and a man with his work shown in various places here and there. If you have a song you'd like me to look over, I'll happily look it over and see if I can translate it for you.

Most Recent Song Added to Ashy-kun's Song Translation Topic: Yoake no Kodomo-tachi (Translated: The Children of the Dawn)

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:06 pm

What if I need a DB related doujin title translated, is that okay too?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:11 pm

Scarz wrote:What if I need a DB related doujin title translated, is that okay too?
Anything and everything Dragon-Ball related (that's not about a characters' power) is fair game!
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:34 pm

Ashy-kun wrote:This thread's also a good one because each of us non-Herms translators can actually contribute to a topic we can see when he is offline.
Tch, I wish someone would ask about a Chinese DB translation and allow each of us non-Nihongo translators to contribute to a topic, :| . Then I'd have an excuse to type in Chinese and then translate it in English, full of idioms instead of literal translations so my translations could look special and cool and stuff, :mrgreen: .

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:10 pm

This is kind of like asking for a reverse translation, but it came up in one of the other threads. In the Growing Up section of Daizenshuu 2, one paragraph describes Chaozu as wearing "heavy clothes" while in the mountain areas. Where I'm from, heavy clothes means winter wear...but in the context of Dragon Ball, I suppose it could mean weighted clothes, so I was wondering how it's worded in Japanese and which it actually meant. Thanks in advance!
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:38 am

Bussani wrote:This is kind of like asking for a reverse translation, but it came up in one of the other threads. In the Growing Up section of Daizenshuu 2, one paragraph describes Chaozu as wearing "heavy clothes" while in the mountain areas. Where I'm from, heavy clothes means winter wear...but in the context of Dragon Ball, I suppose it could mean weighted clothes, so I was wondering how it's worded in Japanese and which it actually meant. Thanks in advance!
Ah, the word is atsugi, which super-literally means "thick clothing". So it's talking about heavy winter clothing, not weighted clothing.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:44 am

Cool. Thanks Herms. That's how I originally interpreted it (what with the picture of Chaozu wearing winter clothes beside it), but then someone made me realize that it could mean something else in the context of Dragon Ball. It's kind of funny when you think about it.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shoryuken » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:39 am

I've got a few questions regarding Roshi's Bankokubikkurishou(萬國驚天掌) technique:
1.Would the word be an ateji since 天 doesn't seem to fit the bikkuri reading?
2. Would a translation of the attack be: Heavenly Palms of Universal Shock?
これはシグネチャではない
Personal blog - myriadleaves.eu