The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by pepd » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:14 pm

Could someone clarify this?
The English, Portuguese and Spanish translations If found say just that Gokū couldn't beat Vegeta even by doubling his strength with the kaiōken. but Kanzenshuu says: "The narrator explains here how Son Goku’s Kaiō-Ken technique works. The normal Kaiō-Ken doubles Goku’s battle power." (https://www.kanzenshuu.com/battle-power/manga/#229)

What does it say? That the kaiōken doubled or doubles his strength?
Thanks.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat May 01, 2021 8:55 am

pepd wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:14 pm
The English, Portuguese and Spanish translations If found say just that Gokū couldn't beat Vegeta even by doubling his strength with the kaiōken. but Kanzenshuu says: "The narrator explains here how Son Goku’s Kaiō-Ken technique works. The normal Kaiō-Ken doubles Goku’s battle power." (https://www.kanzenshuu.com/battle-power/manga/#229)

Thanks.
I'm not quite sure what you're misinterpreting here to make you think there's any discrepancies between the two. It says the Kaioken doubled his battle power, which means it says the Kaioken doubles his battle power.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Sat May 01, 2021 3:49 pm

Adamant wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:55 am
pepd wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:14 pm
I'm not quite sure what you're misinterpreting here to make you think there's any discrepancies between the two. It says the Kaioken doubled his battle power, which means it says the Kaioken doubles his battle power.
They don't contradict each other, but they are not the same. Here's an analogy: That Jeff got a six with a dice doesn't mean the dice gives six. That's why I'm asking what exactly says in Japanese.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat May 01, 2021 5:44 pm

pepd wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:49 pm
They don't contradict each other, but they are not the same.
They literally are.
pepd wrote:
That's why I'm asking what exactly says in Japanese.
Herms provided a full translation of that text box a bit further down that very same page you linked.
Chapter 229; Page 01; Panel 01
Narrator: “Vegeta’s strength has greatly surpassed what Goku had figured on…! That power was such that not even the Kaiō-Ken, which doubled Goku’s battle power, could give Goku the upper hand… What will you do?! Goku!!”
(I don't think that "greatly" should actually be there, but it doesn't change the meaning any)
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Thu May 06, 2021 3:09 am

Adamant wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:44 pm
pepd wrote:
They don't contradict each other, but they are not the same.
They literally are.
Really? "literally"? "doubled" is literally the same as "doubles"? d=s?
Herms provided a full translation of that text box a bit further down that very same page you linked.
Chapter 229; Page 01; Panel 01
Narrator: “Vegeta’s strength has greatly surpassed what Goku had figured on…! That power was such that not even the Kaiō-Ken, which doubled Goku’s battle power, could give Goku the upper hand… What will you do?! Goku!!”
Oh. I must have had their summary in mind and misread it as "doubles"; that's why I wanted clarification. Thanks.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu May 06, 2021 5:32 pm

pepd wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:09 am
It's describing an effect, there's no difference in meaning.

Again, I'm not sure what you're even trying to ask about. Are you wondering if the text might potentially be interpreted as "The Kaioken increases Goku's strength by a random amount, and this particular time it happened to double it" or something? Ask the actual questions you have instead of trying to arrive at an answer by asking something else.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Thu May 06, 2021 6:07 pm

Adamant wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:32 pm
pepd wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:09 am
It's describing an effect, there's no difference in meaning.

Again, I'm not sure what you're even trying to ask about. Are you wondering if the text might potentially be interpreted as "The Kaioken increases Goku's strength by a random amount, and this particular time it happened to double it" or something? Ask the actual questions you have instead of trying to arrive at an answer by asking something else.
No, I was not actually asking you if "d" is the same as "s". It was a rhetorical question pointing out the dismissive hyperbole or misuse of "literal".

I asked the question:
As I mentioned, I asked for clarification because the other translations I found were different (an negligible difference for you, but a difference nonetheless), and thought I may be ambiguous or something. Or that is what I thought, but turns out I mixed their translation with their summary, and the translations are the same

München X Cisf

Post by München X Cisf » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:22 pm

Does it really say that inside Majin Boo's body the strength of Goku and Vegeta was reduced to less than one hundredth of their real power? Was it in Daizenshuu where they mentioned that? Incredible! If Boo could really do that, even if it was unintentionally, then even Vegetto would have been in trouble if he fought Majin Boo inside his body.