The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by jcogginsa » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:28 am

This isn't any particular scene, but is the 'ten' in Goten's name written the same way as the 'ten' in Muten Roshi?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:00 am

jcogginsa wrote:This isn't any particular scene, but is the 'ten' in Goten's name written the same way as the 'ten' in Muten Roshi?
Yes, it's 天 (sky, heavens), which is also the Ten in "Tenshinhan" and "Tenkaichi Budokai". In Chinese it's read as Ti'en (the Wade-Giles spelling) or Ti'an (the Pinyin spelling), hence Tenshinhan's Funi dub name.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:06 pm

Herms wrote:
jcogginsa wrote:This isn't any particular scene, but is the 'ten' in Goten's name written the same way as the 'ten' in Muten Roshi?
Yes, it's 天 (sky, heavens), which is also the Ten in "Tenshinhan" and "Tenkaichi Budokai". In Chinese it's read as Ti'en (the Wade-Giles spelling) or Ti'an (the Pinyin spelling), hence Tenshinhan's Funi dub name.
Sweet!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:50 pm

I'm gonna say Chi Chi probably wouldn't name her son after the letcher. If anything, in-universe, it's likely a reference to Goku being dead...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:07 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I'm gonna say Chi Chi probably wouldn't name her son after the letcher. If anything, in-universe, it's likely a reference to Goku being dead...
eh, my back up headcanon is that Goten is the Ox King's real name XD

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:12 pm

Herms, I'm curious, are you Japanese or a student/grad who studied Japanese?
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:57 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Herms, I'm curious, are you Japanese or a student/grad who studied Japanese?
To quote the “About Us” page:
Kanzenshuu: About Us wrote:Jake “Jacob Schultz” Schutz was born in a previous century somewhere around the American Midwest, the same place that gave the world “Cashew Chicken” and Harry S. Truman. In retrospect, the warning signs were obvious: while still in grade school he imported a Digimon Wonderswan game from Japan and learned katakana in a vain attempt to understand it. In high school he finally took a crack at learning the other 99.9% of the Japanese language, as part of a ridiculously intense summer school course that compressed a semester or two of college Japanese into two months. In college he took a bunch more Japanese courses and eventually spent a year living in Tokyo, where he wandered around the suburbs aimlessly and climbed Mt. Fuji, in that order. Since graduating college he’s continued to study Japanese on his own, but has a bad habit of focusing only on the parts that interest him, which is why he knows five different words for “magic” but has trouble remembering how to say “you’re welcome”. He currently lives by the Pacific Ocean, working for “The Man”.
For some reason, I can totally see Jake aimlessly wandering out west from Tokyo, and just happening to climb Mount Fuji when he reached it. ("Oh. I'm on a mountain now. I can see pretty far from up here. Well, guess it's time to get back to Tokyo.")
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:23 am

As we all know Son Goku is based on the legendary figure from Journey to the West, Sun Wukong or Son Goku for japanese people. I've read that Sun Wukong is also referred to as the Monkey King and I want to know if that title is also used in japanese. I ask because Goku(like all other Saiyans) can transform into an Ozaru and though not proficient at japanese, I know that "O" means great or king and "Zaru" or "Saru" means monkey, so that could be translated to "Monkey King," much like Sun Wukong's title.
So is Sun Wukong referred to as Ozaru in the japanese version?

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:10 pm

dbgtFO wrote:As we all know Son Goku is based on the legendary figure from Journey to the West, Sun Wukong or Son Goku for japanese people. I've read that Sun Wukong is also referred to as the Monkey King and I want to know if that title is also used in japanese. I ask because Goku(like all other Saiyans) can transform into an Ozaru and though not proficient at japanese, I know that "O" means great or king and "Zaru" or "Saru" means monkey, so that could be translated to "Monkey King," much like Sun Wukong's title.
So is Sun Wukong referred to as Ozaru in the japanese version?
As a disclaimer, I've never read Journey to the West in any language, but I think "Monkey King" might be a Western thing, along the same lines as "Sandy" and "Pig."

The "O" in Oozaru, while pronounced the same as the word for king, is 大, and it just means great/big/large.

King is 王, and is also typically used as a suffix. Like in Daimaou, Kaiou, Daiou, etc. So if anything, "monkey king" would be Saruou (or En'ou with the on-yomi).
-Rachel

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:48 pm

Thanks for the help Rach.
Though still needing the specific wording used in the jp text, it doesn't look like Ozaru was another reference to Journey to the West, ah well.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:23 am

dbgtFO wrote:Thanks for the help Rach.
Though still needing the specific wording used in the jp text, it doesn't look like Ozaru was another reference to Journey to the West, ah well.
Adding, the name "Handsome Monkey King" was written 美猴王, which in Japanese would be read as bikō-ō. It's a pretty long ways off.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:47 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:Thanks for the help Rach.
Adding, the name "Handsome Monkey King" was written 美猴王, which in Japanese would be read as bikō-ō. It's a pretty long ways off.
Oh dear, ha ha, that is a pretty long ways off.
Thanks for the help.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:25 am

Can someone with a Japanese copy of Daizenshuu 7 please tell me what Raditz's bio reads? I'd like a fresh translation instead of an existing one in case of any errors, etc.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:30 am

http://web.archive.org/web/201203110355 ... r_p-r#link
Goku's true older brother, and Bardock's eldest son. He was raised as a pure-blooded Saiyan, and so has a heartless personality, showing no compassion to his younger brother. Born as a lowest-level warrior, he lacks experience fighting to the death against strong opponents, and so his battle power is of the lowest level for a Saiyan. He also hasn't strengthened his weak spot, the tail, and is called "weakling Raditz" by his comrades.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:51 am

Ah, I didn't know there was a place stating Raditz is indeed (and obviously) a low-class warrior. Thank you! :thumbup:

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:24 pm

I have a very large request for Herms or anyone here who is fluent in Japanese. Considering the size of this request is so much bigger than normal, I'd be willing to pay to have it done (although I'd like to hear a price quote before committing).

I would like to have this Japanese fansite translated. All of it. Just judging from the Google translation (which is, admittedly, barely intelligible in most places), it appears to be the most systematic treatment of the Battle Power phenomenon ever put together by a fan.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:57 pm

SSJ2FutureGohan wrote:http://web.archive.org/web/201203110355 ... r_p-r#link
Goku's true older brother, and Bardock's eldest son. He was raised as a pure-blooded Saiyan, and so has a heartless personality, showing no compassion to his younger brother. Born as a lowest-level warrior, he lacks experience fighting to the death against strong opponents, and so his battle power is of the lowest level for a Saiyan. He also hasn't strengthened his weak spot, the tail, and is called "weakling Raditz" by his comrades.
While I appreciate the link, my request for a fresh translation. I've been finding conflicting translations and want someone who reads the language fluently to take a fresh look at the source.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:40 pm

johnboy1 wrote:I have a very large request for Herms or anyone here who is fluent in Japanese. Considering the size of this request is so much bigger than normal, I'd be willing to pay to have it done (although I'd like to hear a price quote before committing).

I would like to have this Japanese fansite translated. All of it. Just judging from the Google translation (which is, admittedly, barely intelligible in most places), it appears to be the most systematic treatment of the Battle Power phenomenon ever put together by a fan.
Ah yes, that site. They've got a lot of information, and try to incorporate stuff from guides, Carddass cards, and video games wherever possible. They also try to assign battle powers to every character, ever. Like, even that mermaid Goku brings to Kame House. Or all 11 members of that big family that appears in DB episode 128. They always appropriately label which numbers are purely speculative and which come from the series/anime/guides/etc. Their speculative stuff isn't any worse than any other fan-made battle power list, but...I find their tone really off-putting. Though they label all their speculative battle powers as speculative, they're very "our way is correct, and other ways are not correct". They say people who go with relatively low numbers for the post-Freeza characters don't properly appreciate the scale of the series. Overall, the site would be a lot better if it had more of a sense of humor about itself. Even though they're assigning battle powers to the likes of Pilaf and co. or Oolong's fellow pig people from Octagon Village, and sometimes they pick exact numbers for joke reasons (Mister Satan's is 6.66), they come across as being very serious about all this.

Well anyway, that's my take on it. It's not a bad site by any means, but I wouldn't personally be interested in translating it all. Maybe a particular page or two?

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:55 pm

Herms wrote:It's not a bad site by any means, but I wouldn't personally be interested in translating it all. Maybe a particular page or two?
Well, might as well jump feet-first into insanity: How about their pages for DBGT?
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:18 pm

johnboy1 wrote:Well, might as well jump feet-first into insanity: How about their pages for DBGT?
Well, they've got five pages for GT (dragon ball hunt, Baby, Super 17, Evil Dragons, Goku Jr. side-story). Shit, most of them are huge too; the dragon ball hunt alone is 15 pages long if printed! Maybe I spoke too hastily...about how much is this worth to you?