The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:12 pm

I have a question. What is Viz's translation for Vegeta's respect speech in the Boo arc?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:45 pm

Doctor. wrote:I have a question. What is Viz's translation for Vegeta's respect speech in the Boo arc?
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:47 pm

Thanks for the info! :thumbup: I needed to clear up that bit where he says "as if you knew all along I would learn to have a soul".

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:46 pm

I found this discussion going on... Google translation seems to tell me they are talking about Goku's real "not-so-heroic/poison" personality Toriyama had mentioned before.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/toriyamanews/ar ... 71104.html

Can someone help me out to confirm? I would love to know what the Japanese fandom is actually commenting.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:16 am

Can someone tell me what Goku says in the original here?
I know in the VIZ version he says You fool!, I was just curious if he said that in the original.

I was wondering if it was the same as this...

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:29 am

SSJ2FutureGohan wrote:Can someone tell me what Goku says in the original here?[snip]
Bakayarō, which literally, if I'm not mistaken, means "stupid guy," so he's pretty much screaming "Dumbass!!"

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:37 am

Ah, okay. Thank you!

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:09 pm

I was wondering if the wording Goku uses here means he's referring to the Dragon ball as literally being his granddad, or if he knows he's dead and that's just a memento.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:03 pm

He calls it じいちゃんの形見, grandpa's momento. Other times though, he does simply refer to it as "grandpa".
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:27 pm

Hi. I just have a quick question about this highly debated entry:
Goku fought with the revived Buu. Goku tried to have the next generation resolve this problem, but in the end he was the one who defeated Buu, the strongest in the universe, after being resurrected by receiving the life of the Dai-Kaioshin. Thereupon, he meets with Buu's reincarnation, Uub. In order to raise Uub, who didn't know how to fight, he flew off.
The debate is regarding Kid Boo being the strongest in the universe.

Herms, with the way this is written in Japanese, would it point to anything specific in particular? Or is it really just summing up the defeat of Majin Boo in general?
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:28 pm

Not sure how much there is to say, really. It's 宇宙最強/uchuu saikyo, with 宇宙=universe and 最強=strongest. Actually, I'm just going off memory here. Do you have the Japanese wording?

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:35 pm

Unfortunately I don't.

It's not a big deal, though. Just one of those "debates" about the strongest in the Boo saga. Was wondering if there was something else to it. Thank you.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:43 pm

Boo really was the strongest in the universe at that point. Gohan & Gotenks were dead, and Vegetto & Boo's previous forms no longer existed at that point.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:47 pm

Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote:Unfortunately I don't.

It's not a big deal, though. Just one of those "debates" about the strongest in the Boo saga. Was wondering if there was something else to it. Thank you.
Bottom left corner.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:52 pm

Thanks for posting that, gt.
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Boo really was the strongest in the universe at that point. Gohan & Gotenks were dead, and Vegetto & Boo's previous forms no longer existed at that point.
Gohan and the kids were around when Goku defeated Kid Boo.

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:30 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Bottom left corner.
Thanks.

So yeah, 宇宙最強のブウ, "Boo, the strongest in the universe". I guess you could twist that as "the strongest Boo in the universe", but I really doubt that's what they're going for, since that's just the standard way of referring to whichever character is currently being hyped up as strongest in the universe. Although it'd be amusing to treat Vegeta/Freeza/Cell/etc being described like that as really meaning that they're simply the strongest Vegeta/Freeza/Cell in the universe.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:44 pm

I guess you could say that after a lot of sucessive battles against the Saiyans, Boo was very close to win the war, thus being worth of the title of strongest in the universe.

kuartus4
Beyond Newbie

Post by kuartus4 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:10 pm

Chapter: 458 (DBZ 264), P8.1-4
Context: as Goku and Vegeta are about to fight
Goku: “I don’t wanna take any damage from you and have it become Majin Boo’s energy…So I’m gonna end this quickly, at maximum power.”
Vegeta: “I’m looking forward to this…Show me the fruits of your training in the afterlife. *Goku transforms into Super Saiyan 2* Just as I’d expect. Your power is greater than Gohan’s was back then!”

Just curious, but what is the 'I'd' there a contraction of? I had, I should, or I would? Does the Japanese specify?

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:14 pm

It can't be 'had' because then Vegeta would've said expected, and not just expect.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:42 am

kuartus4 wrote:Chapter: 458 (DBZ 264), P8.1-4
Context: as Goku and Vegeta are about to fight
Goku: “I don’t wanna take any damage from you and have it become Majin Boo’s energy…So I’m gonna end this quickly, at maximum power.”
Vegeta: “I’m looking forward to this…Show me the fruits of your training in the afterlife. *Goku transforms into Super Saiyan 2* Just as I’d expect. Your power is greater than Gohan’s was back then!”

Just curious, but what is the 'I'd' there a contraction of? I had, I should, or I would? Does the Japanese specify?
In this example it would be "I would". Also, I don't believe "I'd" would ever be a contraction of "I should" it is only for "I had" or "I would". Should has its own contraction too.