Question(s) about DB DVDs and the DragonBoxes

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Question(s) about DB DVDs and the DragonBoxes

Post by kenisu3000 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:40 am

Does anybody know why Clyde Mandelin does the translations for the DragonBall DVDs, and not Steve Simmons?

Also, I'd like to know: I'm trying to improve my Japanese listening skills, and there are a huge number of lines in the series (Z) that, though I have the translated subtitles, I still want to know what the Japanese line is. I have all of the Jp. 1-42 manga, so I can check those, but a lot of these lines come from filler material that isn't in the manga. My question is: Do the DragonBox Z sets have Japanese-language captions?

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:48 am

I believe the reason for the diffrent DB translator was work schedules.

As for DBZ sets, the US DVD sets do.

The Japanese Dragon Box Sets do NOT carry english subtitles (though some unscrupulous bootlegs therof do, no I won't tell you where to find them, nor support them).
-Laserkid

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:10 am

True about work schedules. I had my hands full with several other series, so Clyde was brought in.

And I think Ken was asking about Japanese captions on the Dragon Box sets.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:17 pm

After posting this topic I went surfing through this forum, and you should have seen my reaction when I saw that Daimao himself is on here (it was kinda like "...!!").
Yes, I was talking about Japanese captions, not English-translated-from-Japanese subtitles. Again, anyone know?

And Mr. Daimao, do you mind if I ask you: Are you the one doing the translations for the uncut redub? No offense to this Clyde fellow, but his translations are often quite incorrect (I can cite countless examples), and once his name showed up on the DB DVDs I became a little paranoid that all subsequent DVDs would be translated by him.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:51 pm

oh ^_^;;

sorry I misread the subtitles issue. There are a few people on here with Dragon Boxes, so hopefully they'll be able to answer you.
-Laserkid

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:08 pm

From what I've heard, Dragon Box sets don't have any subtitles... not even Japanese.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:40 pm

kenisu3000 wrote:Yes, I was talking about Japanese captions, not English-translated-from-Japanese subtitles. Again, anyone know?
Sorry, but there aren't any subtitle tracks (Japanese or otherwise) on any of the Dragon Boxes.
No offense to this Clyde fellow, but his translations are often quite incorrect
His translations are different, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that they're wrong... I know Steve uses "Artificial Human" and Clyde uses "Cyborg" and stuff like that, but the guy's a professional, I'm sure his translations aren't actually incorrect.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:47 pm

Yes, I know. Of course Mr. Mandelin is a professional, and he certainly knows what he's doing. I just said his translations get a little inaccurate sometimes, not dissing him or anything of the sort. Minor things like Goku's "Kuririn ga [lengthy dramatic pause] korosareta!" come out in the subs as "Kuririn-kun... he's been murdered!" To say murdered is just fine for "korosareta", but one must remember that Goku hardly ever uses name suffixes.

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:44 pm

One thing that concerned me was on the Baba Dragon Ball discs. Gokuu gets her name wrong, and in the subtitles he calls her "Fortune Smeller Baba" instead of Fortune Teller. Now, unless Teller and Smeller sound alike in Japanese (which I doubt) there were some liberties taken there. Anyone know exactly what Gokuu was saying?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:06 pm

Mizugi wrote:One thing that concerned me was on the Baba Dragon Ball discs. Gokuu gets her name wrong, and in the subtitles he calls her "Fortune Smeller Baba" instead of Fortune Teller. Now, unless Teller and Smeller sound alike in Japanese (which I doubt) there were some liberties taken there. Anyone know exactly what Gokuu was saying?
Probably something like "Oba" instead of Baba. He gets her name wrong. Now try and keep the pun; it gets lost in translation.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:27 am

Ya puns are always a really hard call to make for translators. Just look at that whole scene with Kaio-sama and his numerous puns. A translator is torn between keeping the translation exact, but losing the joke as it makes no sense in English or changing it so that it's remains a joke that the English speakers can find funny, so keeping the humour of the scene.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:57 am

Yes, it's a real balancing act. It's making Kodocha a lot of fun to translate, though.

As for Baba, as I recall, what Goku did was call her "Urenai (unsellable) Baba" instead of "Uranai (Fortune-telling) Baba." The "unsellable" remark carries with it the nuance of "unpopular," or more to the point, "Old Maid," as in, never having found a willing suitor. That's what set her off. And yeah, it doesn't work in English.

"Are you the one they call Tortured Feller Baba?"
"That's Fortune Teller Baba!"

I might have done it that way. It's still not a literal translation, though.

Ken: Yes on the uncut "redub," depending on which track you select, of course.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:57 am

Daimao wrote: Ken: Yes on the uncut "redub," depending on which track you select, of course.
Oh, yeah. Derrr. That's what I meant: the Japanese track. Must not have been thinking straight when I said "redub".
Demo saa, that's great to know that the uncut edition will be graced with your presence! I can hardly wait.
And speaking of hard-to-translate bits, in episode 20 Piccolo knocks Gohan down a cliff. Gohan tries to climb back up, but to no avail, and he starts shouting something at Piccolo ("Squirrel... watermelon... seagull...") which I'm having trouble understanding.

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:04 pm

Yeah, we all knew what you meant ("redub" is probably the most concise way of putting it).

I'll have to wait until I get up to episode 20 to comment on the squirrel-watermelon-gull thing.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:02 pm

Daimao wrote: I'll have to wait until I get up to episode 20 to comment on the squirrel-watermelon-gull thing.
No problem. I was planning on getting the new versions anyway (I just wanted to prove that I watch the Jp. version). :D