Tenshinan Spin-off a good idea?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dylanmorgan17
Not-So-Newbie

Tenshinan Spin-off a good idea?

Post by dylanmorgan17 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:18 am

G'day to my fellow Dragon Ball nerds,

I have been pondering for the last few months with one of my mates weather or not a spin-off series for Tenshinan would be a good idea or not. I think it would be because after the Saiyan arc, his character development for almost completely forgotten about and there was much more direction Toriyama could have gone in with him (but that would interfer with Goku).

Personally I would love to see a series of any kind the delves a little deeper into his character weather it explores his past in the Tsuru (Crane) school or his own adventures in outer space to discover what race he comes from. It could also be an excellent opportunity for Choazu and Lunch (only as eye-candy) to be used a little more, plus I'd love see plenty more of this hunk with no shirt. Saikyo Jump should have been a using spin-off storyline of this manner rather than Dragon Ball SD. What do the rest of you think?
The Dante diet: Beer, Pizza and a strawberry Sunday.

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Tenshinan Spin-off a good idea?

Post by SylentEcho » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:58 am

A Ten-Shin Haan spin off would be so awesome.

Just imagine the kind of adventures him, Chaozu and Lunch could have had. It would have been action packed and funny too because of Ten and Lunch. :)

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:10 am

"Training in the Woods: The Manga."

Hmm... Needs work.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:18 pm

Sure. Tenshin is cool, he has a sidekick and even his own Amy Rose. :lol:

They can do all sorts of Craney stuff.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:54 pm

The only character who deserves his own spin-off is Muten Roshi.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:38 pm

I'd prefer a Krillin spin-off. Out've the whole non-Saiyan Z-Warriors, he seemed to be the coolest.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:33 pm

If it's a spin-off detailing Tenshinhan and Lunch's "relationship", then I'm all for it.

I'd also like to have a manga detailing Tenshinhan and Chaozu's backstory. It's one of the backstories I'm most interested in; how they were taken in by Tsuru-sennin and Tao Pai Pai, their training under them, etc.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

kaialone
Regular

Post by kaialone » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:32 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:If it's a spin-off detailing Tenshinhan and Chaozu's training, then screw that.

If it's a spin-off detailing Tenshinhan and Lunch's "relationship", then I'm all for it.

But I'd much rather have a manga detailing Tenshinhan and Chaozu's backstory. It's one of the backstories I'm most interested in; how they were taken in by Tsuru-sennin and Tao Pai Pai, their training under them, etc.
Hell,yeah! I'm also for the backstory thing but I´d just like a Tenshinhan-Lunch-relationship story much more (though Chao Zu has to be in it)
-凯

CatouttaHell
Advanced Regular

Post by CatouttaHell » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:39 pm

Oh hell yeah. Tenshinhan, Chaozu, and Lunch are three of my favourite characters in the whole series. It'd be great if they got a backstory. I'd really love to know where they came from, how Tsuru-sennin and Tao Pai Pai took them in, etc.
Rocketman wrote:Where you born unable to understand jokes or is this the result of years of hard training?

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:42 pm

I'd like a short series seeing how Yamucha met Pu-erh, their backstory, adventures in the desert, etc.

dylanmorgan17
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dylanmorgan17 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:If it's a spin-off detailing Tenshinhan and Chaozu's training, then screw that.

But I'd much rather have a manga detailing Tenshinhan and Chaozu's backstory. It's one of the backstories I'm most interested in; how they were taken in by Tsuru-sennin and Tao Pai Pai, their training under them, etc.
Piccolo Daimao, how can you separate Tenshinan's and Chaozu's training from any sort of backstory? I'd love to know what factors made them the con-artists and mercinaries they came to be in the series and Tsuru-Senin and Tao Pai Pai shaped them this way through their training. I'd also like a deeper look at what qualities had in their back story which made them so redeemable by the end of the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai. Was there always a side to Tenshinan and Chaozu that made them dispise the teachings of the Tsuru martial arts school? I'm just glad that Toriyama didn't give Tenshinan and Chaozu the same "emo" flashbacks that Kishimoto gives most characters in Naruto. :D But a spin-off back story is pretty much the right way to go about.

Other characters that deserve spin-offs in my mind are Future/Time Patrol Trunks and Tarble.
Last edited by dylanmorgan17 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

kaialone
Regular

Post by kaialone » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:15 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:I'd like a short series seeing how Yamucha met Pu-erh, their backstory, adventures in the desert, etc.
I´d like to see if Yamcha ever fulfilled his life dream of marrying and having a family,cause I like to believe he did.Why do wenever see his wife and kids?Easy becaus ehis wife doesnt like Goku and Co.

I can dream,cant I´?
-凯

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:54 pm

kaialone wrote:
Pokewhiz7 wrote:I'd like a short series seeing how Yamucha met Pu-erh, their backstory, adventures in the desert, etc.
I´d like to see if Yamcha ever fulfilled his life dream of marrying and having a family,cause I like to believe he did.Why do wenever see his wife and kids?Easy becaus ehis wife doesnt like Goku and Co.

I can dream,cant I´?
I think they thought monkeys running around beating the shit out of each other and charging their power was more interesting. Still, I would like the see if he actually did anything after Z.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:31 am

I could be a great show I think.. They can place it right after the whole Majin Buu thing or right after Cell. Like OP, they could have him go to space for kicks with Chiaotzu and Lunch. It would be too much like GT though.. Another idea I wouldn't mind would just be Tien and Lunch having some romantic moments.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:49 am

Pokewhiz7 wrote:I think they thought monkeys running around beating the shit out of each other and charging their power was more interesting.
-People beating the shit out of each other.

OR

-Yamcha getting laid

Tough choice, tough choice.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:07 am

Not with Hirotaka Suzuoki dead, it's not a good idea. :(

#16's VA did an okay job in Kai, but mostly because Tenshinhan is almost a nonentity in it.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:26 am

dylanmorgan17 wrote:

Piccolo Daimao, how can you separate Tenshinan's and Chaozu's training from any sort of backstory? I'd love to know what factors made them the con-artists and mercinaries they came to be in the series and Tsuru-Senin and Tao Pai Pai shaped them this way through their training. I'd also like a deeper look at what qualities had in their back story which made them so redeemable by the end of the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai. Was there always a side to Tenshinan and Chaozu that made them dispise the teachings of the Tsuru martial arts school? I'm just glad that Toriyama didn't Tenshinan and Chaozu the same "emo" flashbacks that Kishimoto gives most characters in Naruto. :D But spin-off back story is pretty much the right way to go about.
Aw shit, I meant the kind of training they did in the mountains after they left Tsuru-sennin, which I can't imagine would be that exciting. Sorry I didn't clarify. But I'm all for backstory that details their training under Tsuru-sennin and Tao Pai Pai, etc.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:32 am

Yeah a Tenshinhan Spin-off would be a good Idea. But do you know what would be even better? A Ginyu Force or Saiyaman Spin-off.

dylanmorgan17
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dylanmorgan17 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:13 pm

ringworm128 wrote:Yeah a Tenshinhan Spin-off would be a good Idea. But do you know what would be even better? A Ginyu Force or Saiyaman Spin-off.
How old are you? Not a bad idea but I'd put that idea forward to Saikyo Jump management with the younger age group they terget. I don't say this to insult your taste but I reckon they are characters designed for younger audiences (if you were to base a whole series of them).

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:27 pm

dylanmorgan17 wrote:
ringworm128 wrote:Yeah a Tenshinhan Spin-off would be a good Idea. But do you know what would be even better? A Ginyu Force or Saiyaman Spin-off.
How old are you? Not a bad idea but I'd put that idea forward to Saikyo Jump management with the younger age group they terget. I don't say this to insult your taste but I reckon they are characters designed for younger audiences (if you were to base a whole series of them).
I'm pretty sure that was a joke. :? But if you already knew that then my apologies :D
GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT