A "who'd win" topic, but not your average one

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:04 pm

For what it's worth, I find it very easy to tell the difference between SSJ1 and SSJ2 in the manga. Not just for Gohan. The hair difference is obvious, and the lightning is always there.

I don't think Viz isn't that far, but maybe someone with the Japanese or other editions could agree? :?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:08 pm

I know. At the risk of sounding like an elitist bastard (well moreso anyway), I don't like any fanfics but my own. Even Dark Ki felt redundant. I liked one by PN's Kaio that he wrote in '97/98 but he only did like 4-5 chapters before abandoning it. The other that I like is Vejitasei Ascendant, but that seems to have been semi-abandoned (hasn't updated in a half-year but last month she said she was still writing the fic). Too many authors just have an idea but no sense of style. Then they want their fic to be the best on the net. I hate my style too, that's why I'm going to take creative writing in university. Be an accountant by profession, until one of my books makes it big. :twisted:
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:16 pm

Rach: I agree. It's been a very long time since I've seen DBZ manga that wasn't a translation by Viz, but I think I do remember that it was much easier to tell apart different stages in the manga. The anime is what screwed this stuff up...

Dayspring: I'm sure your humour has a much more professional style in comparison to mine. I basically go for random zany moves and have senile old men talk nonsense, or something like that.

The only fanfics other than my own and somerandomguy works that I ever really enjoyed was a Pokémon one called Sibling Rivalry. It was my first fanfic to read, but I can't find it anymore. Aww... so many fanfics ripped off it's style, too.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:50 pm

Oh yeah! I forgot somerandomguy! It was like Dragonball meets Spaceballs. :D It was so perfect it made me totally drop that style of writing. No matter what I wrote in that style felt like a rip of his work. That's the mark of good writing: making a whole style your own and nobody else's.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:53 pm

Ha ha! I see you changed your avatar Zacko! :mrgreen: Does Dayspring really have that much influence on you? :wink: I haven't read many fanfics myself, and yours is the first DBZ one I've ever read Dayspring. I found the plot of yours interesting so that's why I did decide to check it out. I mostly don't like the kind of fanfics where the characters act ways and do things that you know they'd never do, like certain pairings, etc. I think it's more of a challenge if I person has to stick as close to the character's personalities as much as possible to match the original manga.
Last edited by Jerseymilk on Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:53 pm

Shame on you! Forgetting SRG... that's like somebody asking you what your favourite anime is, and you not even considering DBZ.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:57 pm

Well that's because Gunnm's my favorite anime. Although it's a raping of the manga... I wish James Cameron would get off his ass and make the live action movies. Either that or sell the movie rights. He'll never do it now because of how similar he made Dark Angel. :(

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:04 pm

Did you know Dayspring that the seiyuu for Gally is also the voice for #18? That's my little tidbit of trivia for today. 8)

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:47 pm

I actually like the dub's VA better. It was the same person who voiced Rei in the dub of Evangelion. Yugo was dubbed by the same person who dubbed Shinji. Lots of Eva dubbies in there. All did a miraculous job. "Rei's" voice in Gally's body made me fall in love with the character all over again.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:57 pm

Yeah, Evangelion is one of the few dubs I don't have a problem with. I actually saw the dub before I saw the original. Although I'll always pick a subtitled version over a dubbed, I still wouldn't have a problem if I had to watch that one dubbed again, although I'd miss Megumi Ogata. I find her voice makes Shinji even more pathetic and cute. Well, except for that whole, um, scene in the movie with Asuka in the hospital bed, and Shinji, um, well you know what I mean. Never knew Shinji had that side to him. :shock:

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:00 pm

Bowchickawoyawow! 8)
Could you imagine if she woke up and saw him doing that? :shock:

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:11 pm

She would've done what she always does. She'd freak out and say "What! OMG! You pervert!!", and then she'd chase him around and beat him up. :D I loved her final line at the end of the second movie. I thought it so perfectly summed everything up! :lol:

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:42 pm

Hey, hey, HEY guys. I still haven't seen End of Evangelion or Death and Rebirth yet.

*starts crying again*

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:48 pm

OMG! I'm so sorry Zacko! Oh man I hate it when I do that!!! Now I really will have to commit seppuku! Forgive me!!!!!!!!!! Although I didn't really give away anything and I promise I won't say anything more about the movies Zacko! I swear! :(

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:52 pm

That's alright. I kind of knew about that scene since before I even saw my first episode of NGE. It's all somerandomguy's fault.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:53 pm

Wait for the Japanese originals of eps 21-end to be re-released

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:39 pm

Krillin vs. Bardock, Krillin definately. Two words: Destructo Disc!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:33 pm

1 word: Oozaru. 8)

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:00 pm

Exactly. Picture a smirking Bardock, back from the dead with a new powerup, emerging from the shadows with a raised hand, creating an artificial moon. Now picture Oozaru Bardock kicking the shit out of Kuririn. No time for a kienzan when there nobody else to distract him.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:09 am

Except that Bardock couldn't create an artificial moon. I think. Vegeta claims that only elite warriors can do it, so it's highly unlikely that Bardock can do it.

Besides, if Kuririn actually realised that he could do a Solar Flare, and THEN a Kienzan, he'd be chopping people up left, right, and centre.