The All-Purpose "Versus" Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaboom

The All-Purpose "Versus" Thread

Post by Kaboom » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:25 pm

So, I've been seeing a lot of these topics recently. I don't know if it's just a current trend or influx, or will be something that we start seeing more often in the future. But I figured it'd be worth nipping in the bud now better than later.

So that said, this will be the single and central thread for proposal, discussion, and light debate on the topics of one Dragon Ball character versus another Dragon Ball (or not...?) character. Let's all try to "keep it shonen" as usual, and not to mention friendly and interesting.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

CatouttaHell
Advanced Regular

Re: The All-Purpose "Versus" Thread

Post by CatouttaHell » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:30 pm

Why not just make a sub-forum? Making a single thread for every single versus discussion is going to get incredibly messy IMO.
Rocketman wrote:Where you born unable to understand jokes or is this the result of years of hard training?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:53 pm

I think this should probably be in the Fan Works forum along with the fan PL thread. Whenever you ask what would happen if two characters who didn't fight in the series did fight, then that's getting into fan fiction territory. Especially once you bring in factors like "what if their powers are equal" and whatnot. I also think having it in the Fan Works forum would encourage people to put more creativity into the answers and come up with interesting scenarios for what could happen if the characters in question fought, rather than just spit out stuff like "Goku smash" or "Tullece >>> Ginyu".
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:29 pm

CatouttaHell wrote:Why not just make a sub-forum? Making a single thread for every single versus discussion is going to get incredibly messy IMO.
A sub-forum would definitely be too much. Such types of discussions don't come up THAT often, so a single dedicated thread should serve the purpose of containing them just fine.
Herms wrote:I think this should probably be in the Fan Works forum along with the fan PL thread.
Well, Power Levels are Power Levels. But my experience with these sort of versus threads is that they're supposed to be more fact-based than opinion-based, using things like manga quotes, guidebook info, and official numbers, if any at all. Anything that boils down to mere opinion would hopefully be concluded and dismissed as such before long, after which the thread would move on to something else.

But you have a point, so we'll see how it goes. If it turns out that way, then a move to the fanworks forum would certainly be warranted.
deviantART
[thread]

SuperForteX
Banned

Post by SuperForteX » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:54 pm

Eh, something just feels wrong about this. I know, based on statements from VegettoEX and Savage68 in my other thread, that most of the 'inner circle' of this board just doesn't care about versus topics, but just because you don't care about them, is that really a reason to penalize those of us who do enjoy them?

It's a valid discussion from an in-universe prespective. Restricting it to one thread reduces visibility and makes it more challanging to participate in an on-going discussion. I could see the potential for several 'debates' to be stepping on eachother in the thread, and for that reason see it as being unlikely that anyone will comply.

Of course, you could always just strictly enforce it and punish those who do not comply, but in that sense rather than "fixing" something, you're just strangling an entire element of your user base to death.

Furthermore, a huge chunk of the topics you cited were all made by that Kirby456 fellow, or whatever the random numbers after his name are--a questionable user who's already been warned by the admin to knock it off.

I know you're not really asking for our opinons on the matter, but I feel it's important. Not every Versus Topic discussion is by a bunch of immature people. You may have disdain for versus topics, but they're an important part of the Dragonball Fandom Community, and quite frankly, they always have been.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:04 am

Frankly, you are admittedly right in that they're not the preferred course of discussion for this forum in general. But it's not so much out of disdain or disapproval as an effort to contain them. It's not just the nature or lack of depth in the discussions, as it is their number, both current and potential.

Right now, one way or another, we have a lot of versus threads. Even before Kirby456 just showed up and posted like a half-dozen of them in a day, there's been a much higher number of them than usual (I just linked to whatever was on the front page; it's a fast-moving subforum). I'd been meaning to make this thread for a while regardless, and this was just the final needed catalyst.

If things change, then so may the thread. That's all, really.

Heck, I should think up a good match to give it a kick-start.
deviantART
[thread]

SuperForteX
Banned

Post by SuperForteX » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:16 am

We sort of already have one. Kaboom vs SuperForteX. Unfortunately, you have God-like moderator powers, and I'm just a peaseant. I'll make one last attempt at reasoning with you, and failing that, I'll surrender. It seems more punative than 'containing'. What if you were to restrict all discussion of anime home-releases and their various incarnations to a single thread? Then any specific questions someone may ask would have reduced visiblity among the rest of the board. If your response to that would be "we don't mind discussion of home-releases here, since there's so many different versions," then that would prove the point that this is a punative action.

In the Versus thread itself, if people start two topics at once, then the various replies would all be stepping on eachother. It could become confusing and convoluted, difficult to read or follow a single conversation between users, since there may be 4 or 5 'off topic' posts between them. That leads to junk threads, where you have to skip over massive lapses to find the rest of the conversation you were seeking.

It's also better for archiving purposes to have them be in seperate threads. This just feels more like a political move to stop the discussion all together, by making it incredibly inconvienient for all involved.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:23 am

Yes, Kaboom >>> SuperForteX. This is totally obvious, especially when you consider the former's official x5000 "Super Moderator" multiplier. :P

But all kidding aside, don't worry about it so much. This is more of an experiment than anything else.
deviantART
[thread]

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:36 am

We had an all-purpose thread for Dragon Ball characters vs. non-Dragon Ball characters once that worked fine. And that one wasn't even a sticky.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:36 am

I don't really care one way or another, but I will admit, a lot of these Versus topics often magically find their way into "Gohan vs. Dabra" territory. At one point, didn't we have like three very different topics start off and then end up there, all while on the front page? Granted that was a rare occasion, but I say test it and see how it works out anyway.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:10 pm

I would love to see a vs forum since I miss the vs forum on the MFG forums a lot. I think a single thread could work if we don't go over board with it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

CatouttaHell
Advanced Regular

Post by CatouttaHell » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:36 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I would love to see a vs forum since I miss the vs forum on the MFG forums a lot. I think a single thread could work if we don't go over board with it.
Agreed. I've been saying this for a while but quite frankly it looks like the Powers That Be hate versus threads far too much for that to ever happen. I just go on Neoseeker for all of that nowadays.
Rocketman wrote:Where you born unable to understand jokes or is this the result of years of hard training?

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:42 pm

We don't have a merchandise forum, either. That doesn't mean Mike hates merchandise.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:58 am

With a single thread dedicated for this, I don't even want to discuss versuses anymore. I wonder if that's a good thing.

Kirby456
Beyond Newbie

Piccolo Post ROSAT vs

Post by Kirby456 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:23 pm

Hello everyone. I decided to create a bunch of Piccolo Post ROSAT vs Fights. I've noticed a lot of people put Piccolo Post ROSAT at 50 percent MSSJ Goku and a lot put him at Semi Perfect Cell but the Majority seem to put him at ASSJ Vegeta.

so here are the battles list who you think would win in each battle.

1. Piccolo POST ROSAT vs Android 16
2. Piccolo POST ROSAT vs Semi Perfect Cell
3. Piccolo POST ROSAT vs Ascended Super Saiyan Vegeta Post ROSAT 1st time
4. Piccolo POST ROSAT vs Ultra Super Saiyan Vegeta Post ROSAT 1st time
5. Piccolo Post ROSAT vs Mastered Super Saiyan Goku 50 percent

my opinions.

1. Piccolo wins
2. Piccolo wins
3. Piccolo wins
4. Not Sure who will win
5. Piccolo loses

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:35 pm

Merged with the Versus Thread.

Anyhoo... Piccolo gains power mega-quick. I'd say he's roughly on Super Vegeta's level after his Room of Spirit and Time session. So he'd rofliciouspwnzor Android 16, he'd beat Semiperfect Cell pretty handily, match and possibly beat Super Vegeta, and only possibly beat Vegeta at SSj Grade 3 if he can take advantage of the speed loss. He could put up a good fight but ultimately not win against half-power Goku.
deviantART
[thread]

In Brightest Day
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Yamcha vs. Vegeta

Post by In Brightest Day » Sun May 01, 2011 12:14 am

Lets just say somehow, some way, in some alternate timeline Yamcha is able to theoretically become exactly even with base Vegeta during the Android arc. So basically, they battle each other at even power levels. The only catch is that Vegeta can't turn into a Super Saiyan during the battle. Not to mention, Yamcha has just found out about Vegeta and Bulma, and he isn't happy to say the least.

Obviously, I struggle to see Yamcha getting much support in this thread (for whatever reason), but I think he has a fair shot. Yamcha is a seasoned fighter with a number of techniques that could throw his opponent of guard. Add into the fact that Vegeta is very nonchalant and careless about the Earthlings and I think you've got a pretty good fight.

Anyway, who wins and why?

Edit: I wonder how many people will completely ignore the OP and say "Vegeta wins. The humans didn't even pass Ginyu" - Not to say people who think the Earthlings didn't reach Ginyu's level are idiots, just that people from all different forums are generally atrocious at reading the rules for verse battles.
Last edited by In Brightest Day on Sun May 01, 2011 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun May 01, 2011 12:18 am

Typically, being a natural-born-and-trained Earthling martial artist gives you an edge in the skill and technique department over the Saiyans and other rough-n-rowdy space thug types who more or less just depend on strength. So Yamcha may be able to win, if he can lay on enough damage in a short enough time. Vegeta's a durable and tenacious bastard, so it's a matter of if Yamcha can dish out more punishment than Vegeta can take.
deviantART
[thread]

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun May 01, 2011 1:20 am

Yamcha's techniques are pretty shit and Vegeta has insanely high durability. I'd also say Vegeta is more willing to fight dirty than a Roshi-trained Yamcha would be.

I don't see Yamcha pulling out a win, anger over Bulma or no.

In Brightest Day
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by In Brightest Day » Sun May 01, 2011 2:30 am

I wouldn't say they're shit. The Sokidan would wear Vegeta down before possibly being able to Kamehameha him out of the ring. Obviously it's not going to be that simple, but I think Yamcha could do some serious damage.