Why didn't the Namekians fuse?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ringworm128
Banned

Why didn't the Namekians fuse?

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:59 am

Nail knew about the Namekian fusion so its safe to assume that the others knew about it to. So when Freeza and hes gang attacked Namek and stated wiping out the villages you would think at least one of them would have said "we have no hope of beating this guy or even some of his troops, so why dont we fuse?"

Dorexx
Regular

Re: Why didn't the Namekians fuse?

Post by Dorexx » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:22 am

The villagers weren't warrior types, so maybe they don't have the ability to fuse.
酷签名

the_abberration
Regular

Post by the_abberration » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:37 am

Two possibilities spring to mind.

1) The fusion can only be performed by warrior types (since they have the higher PL's etc). Since Nail was the only one on the planet, he had no one to fuse with until Piccolo came along.

2) (Can't remember if this is a dub only comment) Despite what Piccolo said about kicking Nail out, the fusion is permanent. Self preservation could have prevented them from making that sacrifice. Assuming it was possible for all of them to do it. If that were the case (and they were willing), Nail would have to fuse with a lot of Namekians to come anywhere near the power he would need to fight Freeza.
1 Corinthians 13: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Except the anime. Never the anime.

"Look. I'm not allowed to hold you, but I'm sworn to protect you"-Sergeant Hatred

The Lineup: Danger Mouse

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:52 am

the_abberration wrote:Since Nail was the only one on the planet, he had no one to fuse with until Piccolo came along.
According to the Daizenshuu there were about two or three warriors per village, which is about 15% of the population. I suppose it's possible that not every warrior can pull off this fusion, or even that it wouldn't make a big enough difference against such powerful foes. Piccolo and Nail were clearly far above the rest.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Deity
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deity » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:04 am

And if Kami really made Earth's Dragon Balls then he'd be a Dragon type Namekian, yet he still managed to fuse with Piccolo.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:06 am

Deity wrote:And if Kami really made Earth's Dragon Balls then he'd be a Dragon type Namekian, yet he still managed to fuse with Piccolo.
They were originally one, though, so that could be an exception.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Deity
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deity » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:20 am

Bussani wrote:
Deity wrote:And if Kami really made Earth's Dragon Balls then he'd be a Dragon type Namekian, yet he still managed to fuse with Piccolo.
Yes, true that's a valid point and one way to see it.
But when they merged they basically did what Piccolo did with Nail, in that Piccolo served as a base and Kami only as a power-up. If it was supposed to be an exception because they were originally one, maybe their merge would be to have them become the nameless Namek, the son of Katatz, which they clearly, or in my opinion, didn't become.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:40 am

Deity wrote:
Bussani wrote:
Yes, true that's a valid point and one way to see it.
But when they merged they basically did what Piccolo did with Nail, in that Piccolo served as a base and Kami only as a power-up. If it was supposed to be an exception because they were originally one, maybe their merge would be to have them become the nameless Namek, the son of Katatz, which they clearly, or in my opinion, didn't become.
Except that dialogue spoken points to that not being the case, such as the fact that for a short time after Piccolo and Kami had merged (primarily when he first confronts Cell), he refers to himself as the nameless Namekian, and only later re-assumes the name Piccolo. He clearly establishes that he IS the Namekian that came to Earth ages ago and eventually purged the evil that dwelled within him.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:35 am

Darkprince410 wrote: Except that dialogue spoken points to that not being the case, such as the fact that for a short time after Piccolo and Kami had merged (primarily when he first confronts Cell), he refers to himself as the nameless Namekian, and only later re-assumes the name Piccolo. He clearly establishes that he IS the Namekian that came to Earth ages ago and eventually purged the evil that dwelled within him.
It's true that he tells Cell that he is NOT the Demon King anymore, but he is not the original namek that came to earth. Kami states that he and Piccolo's father where one once, so the difference is pretty much made clear from the beginning. Also, in order for the fused being to be closest to his original self, KAMI would have to be the base since it was him who "threw out" the other part and esentially "the child of Katatz" was kami. No matter how you look at it,it's still mostly Piccolo after the fusion.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:22 am

"I am no longer Kami-sama. Or Piccolo. I am a Namekian...who has forgotten even his true name."

Physically he might not be the same as the Nameless Namekian when he came to Earth, but spiritually he is. Regardless, it was the special link between Kami and Piccolo that I thought could cause an exception. But that musing was assuming that warrior types were the only ones who could perform assimilation, which probably isn't the case anyway, sooo...

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:35 am

Personally, I think the difference is more than just physical, since it's plain out established here and before, that Piccolo is not the same person as his father. In order for the original namekian to appear the fusion would have had to be between the original Daimao and kami and for kami to serve as the base. IMO. "the namekian who forgot his name" bit is more symbolic than anything else, since he pretty much acts like the unfused Piccolo throughout most of the Cell Saga. The only part that was ooc for the previouse Piccolo was his goodbye to Mr. Popo before he flew of to fight Cell.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:35 am

Personally, I think the difference is more than just physical, since it's plain out established here and before, that Piccolo is not the same person as his father. In order for the original namekian to appear the fusion would have had to be between the original Daimao and kami and for kami to serve as the base. IMO. "the namekian who forgot his name" bit is more symbolic than anything else, since he pretty much acts like the unfused Piccolo throughout most of the Cell Saga. The only part that was ooc for the previouse Piccolo was his goodbye to Mr. Popo before he flew of to fight Cell.

Deity
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deity » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:22 am

I personally think that what he said after fusing with Kami was just to look cool, or symbolic like Michsi said. He also said that no matter the oponent he would win right after merging with Nail and that didn't seem to be the case lol. And even when Goku calls him Kamiccolo or something he says that the base is Piccolo, so he can keep calling him Piccolo.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:26 am

Michsi wrote:Personally, I think the difference is more than just physical, since it's plain out established here and before, that Piccolo is not the same person as his father.
And yet he still counts as the other half of the Nameless Namekian enough for Kami to die if he does. Heck, Kami doesn't even make a distinction between Junior and Daimao when explaining why their lives are linked during the 23rd tournament, simply saying he'd die because he and Piccolo were once one. And to be honest, I wasn't talking about personality.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:49 am

But he does make the distinction when he is about to fuse.

Kami: You, or should I say your parent, and I used to be one...

Piccolo Jr. represents the evil side of Kami so of course they would share the same connection as his father and frankly it's their personalities that sets them apart as different entities.

Maybe it's just a matter of technicality, but the child of Katatz and fused Piccolo are not one and the same, just as the original Daimao is not the same person as Piccolo Jr.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:27 am

Yes, it's a matter of technicality. Believe me, I can see your point. But I think you might be being too picky about what counts as the same entity. This might be getting too philosophical, but am I the same person I was 10 years ago? I suppose it depends on how you look at it. But if it is a matter of opinion, it seems to me that the characters in the manga themselves aren't as picky about it as you are. There are at least half a dozen quotes that show this. Here's a nice one.
Chapter: 295 (DBZ 101), P1.4, P2.1-5, P3.1
Nail: “I-I’m astonished…I don’t know what kind of training you’ve done, but you’ve acquired unbelievable power…Still, it’s unfortunate…If you had only returned to the original, single Namekian you were, you might have been able to defeat even Freeza…”
Piccolo: “Are you saying that if I merged with God once again, my power would even surpass Freeza!?”
If you ask me, the difference in the final product is just a result of character development. Character development, but not as we know it.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:49 am

Am I being picky because I believe that Kami and Piccolo and Daimao are their own characters? Without getting too philosophical, it all boils down to if the original Piccolo and Piccolo jr. are both one and the same and if several characters and the author himself views them as seperate characters, why shouldn't I aswell?

Personally, I'd think the meaning of Piccolo's statement after the fusion was more about both of them coming to be in the same body again,rather than becoming someone else. As I said, it's symbolic than anything.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:53 am

Michsi wrote:Am I being picky because I believe that Kami and Piccolo and Daimao are their own characters?
That's not what I said. I said you're pickier than the characters themselves, since they're able to see it both ways. It's not as cut-and-dried as you're making it out to be.
Without getting too philosophical, it all boils down to if the original Piccolo and Piccolo jr. are both one and the same and if several characters and the author himself views them as seperate characters, why shouldn't I aswell?
Except they just as often treat them as being the same--or close enough to it--as they acknowledge that they're different. You're choosing to ignore an abundance of lines.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:05 am

I never denied the ambiguity of the whole Piccolo/Daimao situation , this is just the impression I got while I read the story and was never really given a reason the believe otherwise.
Except they just as often treat them as being the same
I didn't ignore anything , but clear statments like "my son", "my father" , "your father", "the old Piccolo" etc tend to leave a bigger impression on me regarding the nature of their relationship, than other ,what I consider, less than clear statements. Piccolio jr. is obviously more than just a normal offspring to his father, but still his offspring.

I am almost completely convinced that the old Daimao's soul is somewhere in Hell.

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:31 am

The Nameless Namek to Kamiccolo is how Piccolo is to Daimou. They're the same, but also aren't the exact same. Hence it can't be the exact same person that came to Earth, but a slightly different person with the same memories. The new being is still in Piccolo's body and retains his personality.