Does Frieza have to go through each of his transformations?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Re: Does Freeza have to go through each of his transformatio

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sat May 21, 2011 4:22 am

So if I asked you who killed Cargot, you answer would be...?
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

SuperForteX
Banned

Post by SuperForteX » Sat May 21, 2011 5:28 am

My answer would be sometimes Freeza, sometimes Dodoria.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sat May 21, 2011 5:31 am

That doesn't really make any sense, so I think I'll be moving along then.

SuperForteX
Banned

Post by SuperForteX » Sat May 21, 2011 5:48 am

So you think if SSj Goku showed up while Freeza was still in his 1st form, that Freeza would waste 5-10 minutes doing his transformations one at a time? No, we've seen in official licensed media he can transform instantly, or at least rapidly.

So there's no reason to think he couldn't.

It's shown in the offical expanded universe for Dragon Ball, it becomes part of the Dragon Ball Mythos.

To me, Pikkon, Hatchiyak, Ledgic, and Omega Shenron all exist. They're reall, they all "happened." Sorry to burst your bubble, but Akira Toriyama never stepped forward and said "This manga is your canon, and is a seperate continuity from all other Dragon Ball media."

In fact, he actually said that you can't exclude the anime when talking about Dragon Ball and the Daizenshuu also covers some aspects form the video games, right?

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sat May 21, 2011 6:41 am

SuperForteX wrote:So you think if SSj Goku showed up while Freeza was still in his 1st form, that Freeza would waste 5-10 minutes doing his transformations one at a time? No, we've seen in official licensed media he can transform instantly, or at least rapidly.
I don't know what would happen. I'm just saying that there isn't any good evidence for either side, y'know?
SuperForteX wrote:Sorry to burst your bubble, but Akira Toriyama never stepped forward and said "This manga is your canon, and is a seperate continuity from all other Dragon Ball media."
Does it really have to be said? It's kind of a given that the manga and the anime are separate continuities. Different events happened in either version. I've already given you
the great Cargot example. In the anime's version of the events, Dodoria killed him. In the manga, Freeza did. Dodoria doesn't "sometimes" kill Cargot in the manga, it's always gonna be Freeza when you open the book.

There's also stuff like Dragon Ball Online, which completely ignores the anime storyline, including DBGT. The timelines of DBO and DBGT aren't mutually exclusive.
SuperForteX wrote:In fact, he actually said that you can't exclude the anime when talking about Dragon Ball
I don't believe that's quite what he said...
SuperForteX wrote:and the Daizenshuu also covers some aspects form the video games, right?
Not in any significant capacity. They might've listed the release dates and prices and whatnot of certain games in the merchandise section, but all of the "in-universe" info was taken from either the manga or the anime. This is how the books are broken up:

Book 1: Manga-only. It's just an artbook.
Book 2: Manga-only. It's called the "Story Guide," and it covers the entire run of the manga. You won't find a single screencap or piece of info from the anime in this one.
Book 3: Anime-only. Called "TV Animation Part 1," this book covers the start of DB to some point in the Freeza arc (I think? It's been awhile).
Book 4: Manga-only. The "World Guide," a guide to the DB universe. Notice that they've ignored the anime again.
Book 5: Anime-only. "TV Animation Part 2," starting where the last anime book left off, and ending on Vegetto's first appearance.
Book 6: Anime-only. It simply covers all "Movies and TV Specials."
Book 7: Manga & Anime. This book is the big DB encyclopedia. Except in the case of anime-original characters or items, all entries are based entirely on the events in the manga. Any additional info from the anime is given a separate entry, labeled [anime]. Isn't it interesting how they didn't lump the anime and manga info together, if they're supposed to be from the same continuity?!
Books 8 & 9: Guides to the tons of DB Carddass cards. These books don't have any in-universe info.
Book 10: "TV Animation Part 3," it covers the rest of the anime.

So, it seems that Shueisha did everything they could to separate the anime and the manga with the Daizenshuu guides. They either made books exclusively covering the anime, or they separated the anime info from the manga info.

They didn't stop with the Daizenshuu guides, either; the more recent guides are always based on one or the other. Tenkaichi Densetsu and Son Goku Densetsu covered the DB and DBZ portions of the anime only. The DBGT Perfect Files covered only DBGT. Dragon Ball Landmark, Dragon Ball Forever, as well as the recent Super Exciting Guides all covered the manga storyline exclusively (specifically, the Kanzenban release). Etc., etc.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun May 22, 2011 1:07 pm

1. I think Freeza could, just like Kuriza did in Neko Majin Z(although I don't remember if it was confirmed he had other forms in between those two).
2. I'm pretty sure third form Freeza was afraid of getting killed by Gohan's Giant Masenko attack, so yeah he confirms it at that moment.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun May 22, 2011 8:17 pm

If Freeza's forms are like wearing layers of clothing, I think it's probably possible to take them all off at once. Some people are good at that! However, considering how long it takes Freeza to power up, I don't think he'd be able to go from first form to final, max power in an instant. Just going into final form seemed to take longer than the others, so I imagine shedding all of his forms at once would take at least as long, and after that, Goku still had plenty of time to attack him while he was focusing on getting to full power, which Kaio told him he should be taking advantage of. In other words, even if he could skip to final form, I'm not sure he'd be able to do it all fast enough to avoid being killed if someone like Trunks had shown up dead set on blowing him up.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!