F*cking Capsules, how do they work?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

F*cking Capsules, how do they work?

Post by MetaMoss » Sat May 28, 2011 4:09 pm

I was curious on other people's theories on how Capsules do what they do. Personally, I think they work similar to the TARDIS from Doctor Who, where inside it's a separate dimension, which allows it to hold much more stuff than its normal size would allow.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Re: F*cking Capsules, how do they work?

Post by Eire » Sat May 28, 2011 4:22 pm

In one cartoon there was a mixture that made shorter distance between subatomic particles, but it didn't change the weight. The effects were funny :wink: But I don't see any rational explanation to change of the weight except that mentioned above and used also in Harry Potter.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat May 28, 2011 4:41 pm

When Bulma explains the Great Saiyaman transformation suit/watch to Gohan, she says that it works like a capsule, by changing the suit into "particles" and storing it that way.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Sat May 28, 2011 4:58 pm

Bulma made a device so that could shrunk, and I felt that was the capsule technology. :?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat May 28, 2011 5:04 pm

They work just fine, thanks for asking.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat May 28, 2011 5:52 pm

Fox666 wrote:Bulma made a device so that could shrunk, and I felt that was the capsule technology. :?
The idea seems to be that capsules shrink things down by "turning them into particles".

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat May 28, 2011 6:26 pm

Leaked Wonka technology.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat May 28, 2011 7:24 pm

Herms wrote:When Bulma explains the Great Saiyaman transformation suit/watch to Gohan, she says that it works like a capsule, by changing the suit into "particles" and storing it that way.
Where does all the mass go?! I'm gonna say that subspace fields are involved. Either that or they're some pretty far out particles.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

ggf31416

Post by ggf31416 » Sat May 28, 2011 7:32 pm

They could work by reducing the electromagnetic forces, which are the only ones that keep objects intact and prevent you from falling through the floor or the earth collapsing from its gravity. Since most of the atom is void, if the electromagnetic force is reduced, matter can be compressed up to densities close to a white dwarf star.
However it still has to deal with gravity from Earth, it could do that applying an equal force in an opposite sense. As long as the electromagnetic force is not reduced too much the gravity from the object itself shouldn't be a problem.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat May 28, 2011 7:45 pm

Bussani wrote:Either that or they're some pretty far out particles.
Maybe Bulma meant grammatical particles. Those wouldn't really have mass.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat May 28, 2011 8:05 pm

Herms wrote:Maybe Bulma meant grammatical particles. Those wouldn't really have mass.
That's some Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy technology right there.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat May 28, 2011 8:07 pm

Buu Arc Gohan is strong enough to carry the mass of the Saiyaman suit even in a compressed form.

Pilaf Arc Bulma, on the other hand, probably can't lift a house.

Pan-Pan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pan-Pan » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:41 am

I thought items could be put in capsules only if they were fabricated that way (with an integrated system) since you need to push a button to turn them into capsules. But it seems that capsules can contain more than one item (like Dr Brief's magazines which seem to be unmodified) and even elements without clearly defined physical limits (like water for Nam's family). So I don't understand how the characters proceed to store many items in capsules. Any idea ?

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:15 am

Bussani wrote:
Herms wrote:Maybe Bulma meant grammatical particles. Those wouldn't really have mass.
That's some Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy technology right there.
So, when Krillin's corpse was put into a refrigerator capsule, Krillin was turned into desu? :) :) :D

The weight is really the confusing thing more than the volume compression. Compress a house to the size of a grapefruit? No problem! Make said grapefruithouse light enough that a normal human can lift it? Hmm...
Well, while we're hacking electromagnetics, let's also assume that the capsules contain some sort of pressure sensors, so they know when someone's trying to move them, and exert the necessary force to keep the contents in motion. I kinda suspect that capsules are thrown to be activated because they take some sort of force detection as a failsafe against accidentally pressing the button at a dangerous moment.
Of course, if capsules can tell mass to go shove it, then they could conceivably accelerate things way the heck more easily than the average jet engine. Maybe capsules just have epic batteries of awesomeness to power all of this physics hacking.
Which, again, would mean that said awesome batteries could probably be used to develop weapons capable of making Piccolo Daimao think of his canonical death as lame.
I dunno, maybe Capsule Corp has restrictions on using their technology for weapons development. But Dr. Gero's a jerk and used it anyway.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Vegeta Jr
Regular

Post by Vegeta Jr » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:53 pm

Pokeballs for technology, that's how I have always seen it.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:34 pm

caejones wrote:So, when Krillin's corpse was put into a refrigerator capsule, Krillin was turned into desu? :) :) :D
Desu is a verb. Particles would be stuff like wa or ga. [/nitpick]

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:17 pm

Science.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:51 am

Bulma is clearly a witch. Goku was right all along.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:07 am

rereboy wrote:Bulma is clearly a witch. Goku was right all along.
Only to Vegeta. And to Yamcha, for that matter.

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:34 pm

hleV wrote:
rereboy wrote:Bulma is clearly a witch. Goku was right all along.
Only to Vegeta. And to Yamcha, for that matter.
Kinky.
metamoss wrote:I was curious on other people's theories on how Capsules do what they do. Personally, I think they work similar to the TARDIS from Doctor Who, where inside it's a separate dimension, which allows it to hold much more stuff than its normal size would allow.
Well as Herms and everyone else has mentioned so far, Bulma does talk about items being reduced to "particles" or some such. Being a Trekkie I always figure it was something like a transporter or something that can break stuff down and then reassemble it. Heck there is a lot of such crazyness in fiction (Pokeballs or somesuch anyone?). Either that or Dr. Briefs discovered the secrets of Hammerspace.