Gero and Tao Pai Pai

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Gero and Tao Pai Pai

Post by Anonymous Friend » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:44 pm

How possible is it that cyborg Tao Pai Pai could have been one of the earlier cyborg-based works of Gero? He could be one of the unknown numbered "creations" from #9 - #12. I would figure that there's not too many individuals on the planet skilled enough to do this sort of procedure. Although, I could be completely wrong.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: Gero and Tao Pai Pai

Post by Herms » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:20 pm

Tsuru-sennin says they had to spend all the money Tao Pai Pai had accumulated as a assassin in order to turn him ino a cyborg. Gero on the other hand doesn't seem interested in money and apparently makes all his post-RR creations at his own expense. But maybe he'd still be willing to take advantage of Tao Pai Pai, if the latter were willing to pay out the ying-yang to be made into a cyborg.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:23 pm

It would be a perfect arrangement for Gero. Get some extra cash and get to continue his work. What was Tao charging, like 50 million per head for his services? And he all of his saved money?
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:15 pm

Since Tao Pai Pai was associated with Red Ribbon, it's not impossible. But there isn't any confirmation of such a thing... doesn't all androids have a RR tie on them?

mysticboy

Post by mysticboy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:18 pm

People with the same voice actor gotta look out for each other! :lol: jk

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:31 pm

Fox666 wrote:doesn't all androids have a RR tie on them?
#8 didn't, and #18 didn't after she changed outfits, obviously. ...Still, remember what happened to the last guy who tried to make Tao Pai Pai pay for his services? Gero would have to have had some balls.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

goldsaint13
Beyond Newbie

Post by goldsaint13 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:31 am

I always had the idea of Cyborg Tao being a creation of Gero... :)

It would have been a big deal for the scientist, and also Tao's body was well suited because he was among the strongest people on Earth...

I don't think Gero would have feared Tao, he surely had other Androids at his protection... Possibly stronger than Tao himself (Android 8 could have been stronger than Tao already)...
"I'll show you the power of justice!"
- Great Saiyaman -

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:55 am

There is no evidence that outright confirms this, but in retrospect looking at the series as a whole, I would say it is highly likely what happened. Right after the fall of the Red Ribbon Army, Dr. Gero began planning his revenge. Cyborg Tao's scanners that he used on the fighters at the 23rd Budokai look very similar to the ones #17 and #18 use when they scan #16 before activating him. Also, Tao drops his hand off to access his dodonpa cannon, very similar to Full Metal Jacket and #16's rocket punches, and #16's Hell's Flash moves. Who knows, Cyborg Tao may have been how Gero acquired a good bit of data on Goku's fighting moves in addition to the bug drones that collected data.

There really is nothing that contradicts this theory, however, I doubt Tao was a numbered model. His money paid for services rendered is likely how Gero funded all his R&D over the years. I've always been a subscriber to this theory, and believe it answers more questions without contradictions. Tao was a mercenary acting independently, but that doesn't mean Gero didn't have a hand in it to meet a common goal.
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

The heck does "should of" even mean anyway? Think about what those two words mean individually, and then try to read them back to back in a sentence and make sense of it. Are you forming a prepositional phrase, is "should" a part of a larger grouping, or are you just typing random words based on how you think you hear them used verbally? Perhaps take a moment to contemplate this, and see if it becomes as mind jarring for you to look at as it does for me..

the_abberration
Regular

Post by the_abberration » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:55 pm

My theory is that Crane Hermit lied about using all his brother's money. I believe, after Gero saw Tao's potential as a cyborg, a secret deal was made in the amount of two bastard siblings.
1 Corinthians 13: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Except the anime. Never the anime.

"Look. I'm not allowed to hold you, but I'm sworn to protect you"-Sergeant Hatred

The Lineup: Danger Mouse

Kroni_Hunter
Regular

Post by Kroni_Hunter » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:53 pm

This theory is supported by DBO's story, where not only is Tao still around, but Commander Red as well, who has been turned into a cyborg and is named as one of the androids. (DB Wikia lists him as Android 9 and includes a picture. I believe it is accurate but who knows.)
"An optimist thinks that this is the best possible world; a pessimest fears that this is true."

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:15 pm

Hmm... well, #17 and #18 did seem surprised to find out that #16 was a fully-mechanical model rather than a partially-human-in-some-way one, which implies that most of Dr. Gero's previous androids (or, at least, the ones that worked well enough for #17 and #18 to be aware of them--I doubt Gero would go around telling everyone about his failures!) were human-based in some way.

So I guess it's entirely possible that Tao was one of Gero's earlier experiments with "cyborgifying" a living human. I figure #8 was made using parts of dead bodies just going by the Frankenstein look he has (with visible stitching-together scars and everything), so Tao may well have been Gero's first test subject to see if a living human could survive the process. Tao'd be a good candidate for that, considering that he's absurdly strong compared to most humans around at that point in the series and could survive a lot of things that would definitely kill an ordinary human.

And with the Red Ribbon Army gone, Gero would probably be in need of a ton of money to finance his projects (since I doubt he had free access to the RRA's funds, and without the RRA around that money wouldn't be available to him anymore at all), so Tao having to spend all his assassin money to get it done fits in pretty well. Gero's motivation isn't money, but he still probably needs some to pay for parts and raw materials and such.

Tao probably wouldn't be one of the "numbered" Androids, though. Especially if Commander Red really did end up becoming Android #9... wouldn't leave much room for Tao in there. Unless maybe Red was actually dead before being cyborgified and he was the last of the "dead body" type ones, and Tao was #10 and the first of the "alter a living person" type.