Freeza slightly sucks at math!

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Freeza slightly sucks at math!

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:15 am

I am in the Freeza saga of DBZ at the moment and in the middle of the part when Gohan started to rage up on Freeza's second transformation after gaining a Zenkai and these are his exact words : "Quite strange, That little one should not have such a battle power after recovering from near-death, it is as if he is a different person altogether. That's it! The little one is a Saiya-Jin! But whose child is he? "Twenty Years ago", with the exception of Vegeta, Nappa, and Raditz, the Saiya-Jins were supposed to have been exterminated." Well I have added up the years from the birth of Son Goku to the time when Nappa and Vegeta have arrived on Earth and planet Vegeta apparently was destroyed 24 years prior to Freeza's claim. Could it be that he was simply giving an estimate to how many years ago that it was destroyed?

Fox666
I Live Here

Re: Freeza slightly sucks at math!

Post by Fox666 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:40 am

I suppose it shouldn't be a precise value, Gohan is clearly not 20 years old...

And Goku was sent to Earth right before the planet was destroyed, so the time it was destroyed equals to Goku's age, 25.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:02 am

This reminds me of a line I remember hearing in the FUNi dub of the Garlic Jr saga, although I might be imagining it (I could be mixing it up with the line in the OP, actually...)... I seem to remember Garlic Jr saying that the events of the movie happened ten years prior, which would boost Gohan's age quite a bit!

Although I could well be mixing it up with Freeza's twenty years line, which is at least more accurate than Raditz's "three years ago" line...
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:27 am

Does it really say 20 in the anime? Because he says 30 in the manga. Kind of funny that they'd bother to change the line but still get it wrong. And yeah, officially there's a 25 year gap (Age 737 to 762); it's got to at least be 24 when you you count up all the years in the various time skips, and then there's all the months that pass too.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:03 am

Really? I tought that counting the time-skips the conclusion was that Goku was 25

- Beggining of the series: 12 (initially he said it was 14, but he couldn't count)
- Red Ribbon saga: 13 (since it takes 1 year to summon Shenlong again)
- 22º Budokai: 16 (3 years time-skip)
- 23º Budokai: 19 (another 3 years time-skip)
- Raditz arrival: 24 (5 years time-skip)
- Vegeta and Nappa arrival: 25 (again 1 year to summon Shenlong)

====//====//====

Here is the manga panel:

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:26 am

If he sucks in math, then that explains the whole "Five Minutes" mess. :lol:
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:29 pm

Fox666 wrote:Really? I tought that counting the time-skips the conclusion was that Goku was 25

- Beggining of the series: 12 (initially he said it was 14, but he couldn't count)

====//====//====

Here is the manga panel:

Really? I always thought Goku was 11 at the beginning of Dragonball (seems to match Herms's answer too)

- Turns 12 during his training with Kame Sennin and during the Red Ribbon arc.

- Then 15 during the 22nd Budokai and events of the Piccolo Daimaou arc.

- Then 18 during the 23rd Budokai.

- Then 23 when Raditz arrives.

- Then 24 after being wished back to life, the fight with Vegeta, and conflict on Namek.

So I always took Freeza's comments at just being an estimate and it sounds about right. Not exactly what I would call being wrong, I don't understand how it could be 30 years ago though?
Last edited by DBZ Mick on Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:56 pm

Herms wrote:Does it really say 20 in the anime? Because he says 30 in the manga. Kind of funny that they'd bother to change the line but still get it wrong. And yeah, officially there's a 25 year gap (Age 737 to 762); it's got to at least be 24 when you you count up all the years in the various time skips, and then there's all the months that pass too.
I checked, and it looks like they did indeed change the line.
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:45 am

Fox666 wrote:Really? I tought that counting the time-skips the conclusion was that Goku was 25

^ Yep, this is the way I deduced it, as well.
Fox666 wrote:Image
Freeza wrote:しかしだれの子供か…
30年ほど前にべジータ・ナッパ・ラディッツ以外のサイヤ人はわたしが絶滅させた…はず
He actually says "about 30 years". "Hodo" (程/ほど) placed after a quantity means "about that much", so he's definitely just giving an estimate.

The way I see it, he could simply be rounding it off to the nearest multiple of ten, in which the rule is if the number in the ones place is at least a 5, it gets rounded up (in which case, it's just the anime that gets it wrong).
-Joey

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:47 pm

I felt that the anime got the line wrong. however they actually got the estimate more realistic because it was 24 years ago if you really think about it. Son was 11 at the beginning of the series.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:52 pm

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:I felt that the anime got the line wrong. however they actually got the estimate more realistic because it was 24 years ago if you really think about it. Son was 11 at the beginning of the series.
No, he was 12. Like Fox666 said, he originally claimed to be 14 in the Pilaf arc. But at the 21st Budoukai he explained that he thought 14 was the number that came after 11, meaning he was actually 12 back then. And he still says he's 12 at the Budoukai, so he apparently didn't have a birthday in that 8 month gap.
-Rachel

vegetaslegacy15
Beyond Newbie

Post by vegetaslegacy15 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:46 pm

The obvious answer is Freeza has blown up so many planets that its hard for him to keep track of it all. besides that I am sure he was just so tired he forgot how to count.....
:p
Horgus wrote:NSSJ2O... Nitrogen Sulfur Shounen Jump Dioxide? :?
digireign wrote:I vote to call it "Super Cyan."
-zach