Maybe more than 5 minutes...

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

peterx
Beyond Newbie

Maybe more than 5 minutes...

Post by peterx » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:42 pm

Ok here is the thing which bothered me for years on this forum:

Freeza said five minutes till Namek blows up! Why... I mean WHY do you all take it that SO seriously what he said, and say that the entire fight was too long for five minutes, and it was all meaningless, and Toriyama's error etc.???

How the hell Freeza could tell that Namek will blow up exactly in 5 minutes and not even a seconds more? He just GUESSed!!

It's like I say, I will kill you in five minutes but how could I tell that I'm not underestimating you and you kill me at the end in an 1-2 hour long fight?
This just like what happened in Namek's core. No one could tell this, and Freeza is not a super scientist if I remember correctly...... Maybe he just wanted to be sounds cool!

If you still belive in this five minutes thing, then I suggest you to think that the anime actually slowed down the fight for us to be able to see what the characters are doing. I don't have better explanation.... :roll:

Zestanor
Regular

Re: Maybe more than 5 minutes...

Post by Zestanor » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:05 pm

Kaio and Kami believed the 5 minute rule.

Luke Groundwalker
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Luke Groundwalker » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:22 pm

I've always thought of this:

1. Time possibly is different on Namek, or Freeza's "minutes" might be different from what Goku considers minutes.
2. The fight was so fast, that Toriyama slowed it down so human eyes can see it.
3. Toriyama forgot.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:08 am

You could get away with saying it was exactly five minutes easily if you went by the manga alone. People joke about how long those supposed five minutes were when it comes to the animated version, but I don't think many people take it too seriously.
peterx wrote:and it was all meaningless, and Toriyama's error etc.???
I mean, who says this?
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:44 am

Even if Freeza's guess of 5 minutes actually extended to 15 minutes or something because of how durable Namek seems to be, I don't see a problem with it if you go by the manga. The issue does arise with the animes though, but not as bad for Kai.

For Z, It was about nine episodes and at roughly 20 minutes an episode, you end up with about 180 minutes. Cut that in half for the scenes on Earth or Kaio-sama's that should be taking place at the same time as the events on Namek and you still have an 90 minutes. Cut it in half again by assuming they slowed the events down to half speed so we could actually see what was happening, and you still get 45 minutes... You can also argue it was "slowed down" more than that, but I think half speed would be appropriate enough to "match" what was shown in previous arcs.

For Kai, it looks like Freeza throws his death ball at the end of 48 and the planet blows at the end of 53, so about 5 episodes. using the same process as above, you get 100, 50 and finally 25 minutes. Much more reasonable, but still a bit stretched.

I see why people complain, but I don't really care since I follow the manga for the most part.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Luke Groundwalker
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Luke Groundwalker » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:07 am

You shouldn't kid yourself. It was too long in the manga too. :P

Though you can read it all in five minutes so I guess maybe that's what Toriyama was going for.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:20 am

Luke Groundwalker wrote:I've always thought of this:

2. The fight was so fast, that Toriyama slowed it down so human eyes can see it.
Yeah, I like to think all of the fighting on Namek was in slow motion, they were already impossibly fast before but they're meant to be even faster in this part of the series.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:22 am

Luke Groundwalker wrote:You shouldn't kid yourself. It was too long in the manga too. :P

Though you can read it all in five minutes so I guess maybe that's what Toriyama was going for.
It's not that long in the manga, especially considering the fact that from Kanzenban 19 (Ginyu arrival) to 23 (Namek Boom!) is all one day (actually only a couple of hours if I remember correctly lol). The only instance that made it feel like it might have dragged on more than the potential 5-10 minutes was the summoning of Shenlong and Porunga.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Akutouji

Post by Akutouji » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:25 am

I think Freeza said 5 minutes just for dramatic effect. There are many movies that do that and I think Toriyama decided to do it also to make the mood more serious.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:26 am

My fanwank explanation is that Freeza was trying to scare Goku and take his edge off him by lying about how long they had left. In Freeza's mind, if Goku thought he only had five minutes to beat him, he would probably use all of his energy for those five minutes, leaving him exhausted later on, giving Freeza a chance to take the upper hand. Him saying "it's taking a little longer than I expected" is him making an attempt to perpetuate the "five-minute" thing, an hour or so after the fact.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:44 am

The manga is very short in that part. I don't have any problem with the 5 minutes thing.

Dabooyaka
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dabooyaka » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:19 am

I agree, in the manga it could very will be 5 minutes. The anime just drags thing to much. But 5 minutes is fine with me.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:33 am

In the anime there are 11 episodes, that's why it's so unbelievable...

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:37 am

It's probably the same as those "why didn't they stop him while he was transforming" - situations. It's supposed to be instantaneous, but seem to take way longer for the the dramatic effect.

peterx
Beyond Newbie

Post by peterx » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:03 pm

Fox666 wrote:In the anime there are 11 episodes, that's why it's so unbelievable...
Well that's why you don't HAVE to belive in what Freeza said just assume that he was bragging. Life is so much easier with this I guarantee! :D

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:19 pm

I doubt anyone would have ever thought about this if DB anime didn't exist, only manga. So yeah, that was 5 minutes alright.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:27 pm

Even taking the manga into consideration, I still find it preposterous how all of that took place in 5 minutes.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:30 pm

Well, taking into consideration what Kuririn and Roshi did in the span of a second way back at the 21 Tenkaichi, 5 minutes for all that doesn't seem too farfetched. :P
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:05 am

I'm still wondering why no one has made a video attempting to cut this fight to 5 minutes.
You'd basically:
- cut out everything that isn't happening at the scene of the battle. The only catch here is when Porunga comes back and there's that momentary lul.
- Cut out as much true filler as possible.
- If a prolonged section of fighting has no dialog, speed it up as much as necessary.

So I think the more pressing question is whether or not all the pauses for conversation can fit in five minutes. They're so bloody fast by this point that the speed of the fighting can be bent however we want.
If it wasn't so much torture to watch these particular episodes, I might try doing it in audio form. :P
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:43 pm

caejones wrote:I'm still wondering why no one has made a video attempting to cut this fight to 5 minutes.
You'd basically:
- cut out everything that isn't happening at the scene of the battle. The only catch here is when Porunga comes back and there's that momentary lul.
- Cut out as much true filler as possible.
- If a prolonged section of fighting has no dialog, speed it up as much as necessary.

So I think the more pressing question is whether or not all the pauses for conversation can fit in five minutes. They're so bloody fast by this point that the speed of the fighting can be bent however we want.
If it wasn't so much torture to watch these particular episodes, I might try doing it in audio form. :P
I know of this at least:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dpq4WYv240
I've also seen one that took Freeza's 5 minutes as fact from the perspective of the viewer and so Namek blew up, when Goku said Freeza was reaching the peak of his power. I can't find it though.