Frieza - Revealed, known problem?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

M-Vegeta
Beyond Newbie

Frieza - Revealed, known problem?

Post by M-Vegeta » Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:41 am

I was just wondering if y'alls disc does this.

When I'm watching the Japanese version, instead of it continuously playing on to the next Japanese episode, it starts up the dub version.

Is this a known flaw on this particular disc?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:42 am

No, I don't have that problem on my copy of that disc. I've never heard of any other copies doing that but, it wouldn't suprise me. Those discs were done in the early days of Funimation's move to releasing DBZ DVDs and the first couple of discs weren't very well done in terms of professionalism and efficiency. I know Dayspring's recently bought copies of some DBZ DVDs have no sound when you switch to Japanese dialogue, but unfortunately those are movies 4-6, so it's not the same volume.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Frieza - Revealed, known problem?

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:06 am

M-Vegeta wrote:I was just wondering if y'alls disc does this.

When I'm watching the Japanese version, instead of it continuously playing on to the next Japanese episode, it starts up the dub version.

Is this a known flaw on this particular disc?
Are you using a PS2 or XBox to watch it? Because FUNimation says that they won't always work properly with those machines.

If you're not, then... I haven't a clue.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:20 pm

Oh ya I forgot about that! Some DVDs don't work in the PS2. I know that some of the Kenshin volumes don't play and I believe I remember hearing about copy of Rhino's Gatchaman not working either.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:32 pm

Jerseymilk wrote: Those discs were done in the early days of Funimation's move to releasing DBZ DVDs and the first couple of discs weren't very well done in terms of professionalism and efficiency.
Not really. The Freeza DVDs were released at around the same time as the "Babidi" ones, I believe, so they'd already done the Ginyu, Androids, Trunks, and World Tornament ones. I'd double check on Daizenshuu's DVD Guide if I could be arsed.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:09 pm

Hmm, I've never had any problems with that disc, or any others. But I do remember that the Frieza discs weren't supposed to work right on some of the initial release PS2's and Xboxes.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:35 pm

TripleRach wrote:Hmm, I've never had any problems with that disc, or any others. But I do remember that the Frieza discs weren't supposed to work right on some of the initial release PS2's and Xboxes.
Yeah, I remember reading the same thing when the majority of Frieza discs started coming out.

And does anyone realize how much it pains me to have the spelling Frieza anywhere in my posts and on my site? I'm actually considering writing an editorial about it :P
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:18 pm

Yes, "Frieza" makes you cringe. What else is new?

But seriously, if you're planning on writing a new staff editorial, it should be that part 2 of the "j00r website 5|_|><0122" (or however it was l33ted) that you promised us so very long ago. We don't forget things, you know.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:16 pm

VegettoEX wrote:And does anyone realize how much it pains me to have the spelling Frieza anywhere in my posts and on my site? I'm actually considering writing an editorial about it :P
Get over it, Mr "Gokou".

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:49 pm

PsyLiam wrote:Get over it, Mr "Gokou".
*starts taking notes on how many times he must hate PsyLiam*

And part 2 of the website editorial has been written for months upon months upon months. It's, like, 10 hand-written pages in a notebook from semesters ago.

I'll find it someday...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

M-Vegeta
Beyond Newbie

Post by M-Vegeta » Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:40 pm

I'm just debating if I should return the disc (now that I know I'm the only one). It's just that I ordered it used from Amazon, and honestly, I don't really feel like messing with shipping it back and writting the independent vendor and blah blah blah ...

Four out of the six DVDs I ordered had broken cases (the part that holds the disc in place). They were shipped out this way, I'm sure of it. It could be just acting funny because the disc is scratched up some from being shipped out like this. It's not really a big deal, though. I just have to go back to the main menu and change it to Japanese before playing the next episode.

By the way, I'm using a Toshiba SD-2900 DVD player with colorstream.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:04 pm

VegettoEX wrote:And part 2 of the website editorial has been written for months upon months upon months. It's, like, 10 hand-written pages in a notebook from semesters ago.

I'll find it someday...
I hope you do. I had a lot of fun testing my website with part 1, although my website isn't based around DBZ. I'd love to see more of that.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:35 am

VegettoEX wrote:
PsyLiam wrote:Get over it, Mr "Gokou".
*starts taking notes on how many times he must hate PsyLiam*
Do I get a prize?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:02 am

How WOULD you spell his name? Furiiza, Freeza, Freezer? I can see it now:

"Goku first goes Super Saiyan in the King Cold's Son saga."
Then he gets tons of hate mail as to how it's really spelt "King Kold. :lol:
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:49 am

Yes, Dayspring. The answer is to change every single mention of Freeza to "King Cold's Son", including redubbing everything. Also, we get to learn about Cold himself earlier on so that everyone doesn't get confused!

Oh, PsyLiam. I think you're going to have to make him hate you a little more before you get a prize. Make him hate you so much that the hate counter rolls so high and wraps around to 0 again. Then he'll like you enough to give you a prize!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:35 pm

Yes, a KILLER prize! Bahahahaha!!! :twisted:

Whoo, me am funny good. 8)
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.